This is a lovely Victorian home in a unique enclave of Winnipeg. A 100 year old library is a few doors down. We stayed in the Walnut Room which has a sunny side room furnished with a couch and desk. The bed was excellent and the newly renovated bathroom with a soaker tub, large shower and heated floor was delightful. There are four rooms on the second floor with a shared bathroom, and two rooms on the third floor with another shared bathroom.
1. Shared bathroom-Since it was low season I had asked the host when booking if we would have a bathroom to ourselves and he said that was likely. Then a new guest came who was housed on our floor and shared the bathroom while the third floor remained empty. Trying to juggle morning readiness becomes awkward. I was disappointed with the arrangement as I had specifically indicated concerns about sharing the bathroom and there was an alternative available which was not taken.
2. Breakfast is served on a static schedule which suits the host's time table, not the guest time table. Weekdays: 7:45 am. Weekends: 8:30 am. I had one breakfast which was very nicely cooked (Note: milk only for coffee. We prefer cream which was not offered) but we declined the other breakfasts to avoid having to get up and ready on someone else's time frame. I did not know in advance there was a schedule for breakfast.
3. Since I had one day in the room, it would have been nice to have a kettle in the sun room to make tea or coffee. I asked to use the host's kettle but did not feel comfortable boiling water in their kitchen.
The hosts are lovely people, however, they did suggest they were not as interested as they used to be in the schedule of running a B&B. This was evident. I would have been happier if the price was reduced to acknowledge the first two complaints above. Then when guests choose price over a private bathroom and attentive service, the guest is willingly making the concession.
Even though the Juno Awards were in town the same weekend, my colleagues found a lovely downtown hotel which included a full hot breakfast for only $10 more a night than West Gate Manor. Since the bathroom is shared and guests are not catered to, this B&B would be more appreciated if it was a significant savings over a standard hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Westgate Manor is a full service Bed & Breakfast situated in one of Winnipeg's most historic neighbourhoods. The beautiful Victorian style house is a delight to your senses and features 6 beautiful rooms each decorated in a unique style. We are close to downtown and only a few minutes car drive to all of the major attractions in the city. All rates include a full breakfast served in our main dining room. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- West Gate Manor Winnipeg, Manitoba