“A little surprised!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona

You added Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona to your Saves list
Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   826 Regent Avenue West, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2C 3A8, Canada   |
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Winnipeg
Saskatoon, Canada
“A little surprised!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was a little surprised at the room I was given for the 3 nights I was there!

The room it's self was nice enough, but the bathroom proved a little difficult in that it took both hands to pull the faucet on! Since I have a elbow problem, it made brushing my teeth a bit frustrating!

The front desk people were great and very helpful, plus they were efficient with my room, checking in and out. However, my friend had to wait a very long time to check out as the front desk people were both dealing with a drunk person! That made us late for our sport tournament. I guess timing is everything in this place!

I did get breakfast once on the first day I was there. There was only one person serving the whole place, so it was very slow service, plus my eggs were cold, the potatoes they were on were hot. I am not sure how or why that works!

Room Tip: If they have new rooms, ask for them!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Jay P, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Hello Lynn S,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. We use this guest feedback as learning tools for our staff to continually improve on our service delivery.

Thank you for choosing Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona for your recent stay. We are glad to hear you liked your room and our guest services team at the front desk was helpful and efficient. We will have our maintenance team look at the faucets to ensure they are performing correctly.

We were disappointed to hear that we fell short of expectations in AALTOS Garden Café. I have had meeting with our Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Chef to address your concerns. The experience you have described is not typical as we strive for high guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for choosing our location. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Winnipeg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed one night over the 2014 school spring break. Paper thin walls, a bathroom sink that was backing up, rot around the a/c-heating unit, the top of the bathroom backsplash was not dusted, and a hair dryer with lint in the intake that would cause the thing to shut off.

Restaurant - ran out of ice cream, no serated knives readily available to cut the roast with.

I could NEVER understand the fascination with this chain. The sooner it goes bankrupt, the beter!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jay P, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We use this guest feedback as learning tools for our staff to continually improve on our service delivery.

Canad Inns strives to provide high levels of guest service and cleanliness. I have reviewed and addressed your concerns with our operations, housekeeping and maintenance team.

We have inspected each hairdryer to ensure they are functioning correctly.

Canad Inns is always striving to improve our guest experience. We have recently replaced the ice cream machine in the restaurant with a new larger capacity machine to minimize the chances of running out during peak times.

I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of expectations. I am available to discuss your stay personally. My number at Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona is 204-224-1681.

In closing I thank you for choosing our location. We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Kenora
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Plus:
Great continental breakfast free on Christmas day, good coffee snacks, pop, etc. Nice gesture, Good front desk staff, rooms clean, pool and waterslide, hot tub excellent. Elevator , secure locked door to get to guest rooms. fridge, mw, tv good. clean linens, towels etc. Staff at the front and cleaning staff are doing a great job trying to make the stay pleasant!
Have eaten there before, great food!

things to look after:

tired rooms, smell of stale carpets or air, heater thermostat didn't work, extremely hot or no heat, we chose no heat, to get some sleep. Paint peeling off the walls in the bathroom, caulking on the floor peeling off the toilet seal ugh! Bed was lumpy, sink plugged up, water drained very slowly, in-room coffee maker 70's vintage that spills more than it pours.

in summary it seems staff are trying to make this place good and clean, but the hotel is tired, and needs a face lift. Some clean paint and modern bathroom, new beds etc. would be welcome. We have stayed here before, but no more. Spent 2 days there.

Room Tip: if your ac/heater does not work or sinks plugged when you arrive, get a different room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I am a Winnipegger and I run a youth group. I took a group of girls here to celebrate our year of hard work.
When we checked in the gentlemen was helpful, though he seemed annoyed. Later in the night, all the front desk staff were too busy chatting with off duty staff members who were there cutting loose to do his job.
The pool area was a big highlight, the kids loved it. Highly disappointed there is no lifeguard as well as no jets in the whirlpool (they have very weak jets) and the itty bitty towels were a joke. There is also 4 tables and about 15 chairs so better get there early if you plan on sitting. They also allow patrons from their hotel across the street to use the pool, making it even more crazy.
Ordered an in room movie, even with the tv in the living room at 100, we could barely hear it. The quality of picture on the tv was very, very bad and the prices for the in suite movies are outrageous. Also, don't pause the movies or it just shuts itself off with no option of restarting.
Pull out couch in living room (we stayed in a 2 room suite) was very, very old. A couch cover doesn't hide that fact. The mattress was straight out of the 80s. Hey CanadInns- have you heard of futons?!
We ate breakfast at the buffet- disugusting. French toast could have been bread crumbs, canned mandarins in the middle of summer instead of fresh fruit, people getting sick in the washroom. They also offered 5 kids slushies knowing the machines were down. I had to track down my server since she never bothered to check on us after waiting 10 minutes for the slush to "freeze" Meanwhile all the lunch stuff has been sitting out already (it's 9am) including dressing and hardboiled eggs, neither of which feels very cool. They cover it with a bedsheet so you know, I'm sure that's up to code. I'm writting this from my table, still waiting for my server to ask if I'd like my coffee warmed or topped off. If I were anywhere else she would have been here 5 times by now.
All and all, don't go there if you can avoid it.

• Stayed June 2013
Jay P, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona, responded to this review, June 27, 2013

We are glad to hear the pool and waterslide was a big hit with your group! We have noted your comments on the towels and the hot tub jets. Upon reviewing your comment on the pool chairs we have added an additional 8 chairs around the poolside for our guests.

To address your comments regarding our pay-per-view movie service. We have had a number of issues recently with our current movie service provider and we are reviewing internally. We hope to have the technical problems resolved soon.

Canad Inns is always striving to improve our guest experience. We have recently ordered new deluxe pullout beds that are very high quality and are comparable to our queen beds for overall comfort. We hope to have these new beds by mid summer.

I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of expectations in AALTOS Garden Café. I have had discussions with our Food and Beverage Manager to address your concerns. The experience you have described is not typical as we strive for high guest satisfaction. I am hoping you will contact me personally to discuss your experience further.

In closing I thank you for choosing our location for your youth group stay.

My number at Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona is 204-224-1681.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

There are only two hotels in this area and both are Canad Inns across the street from each other.
Room: very humid, smelled like the carpets were just cleaned but they were not. Beds are cheap and uncomfortable. Bedding is okay but way to much bleach uses.. Smells like cleaner. Bathroom was in need for a good cleaning. Son got yogurt on the cupboard door and after 3 days the maid has never cleaned it.

Pool: big dirt piles at the bottom and rusted handles have been painted over. Towels are as big as a hand towel. Hot tub was cold.

Altos Restaurant: went Sunday for supper and got there at 5. We were the only people in the restaurant. In 3 hours nobody ate the Buffett. It sat there uneatten and looking sick! Ordered burgers and they were good. Breakfast was good, less than 2 bucks!

Parking lot: 4 times in 3 nights there were people in the lot drinking from 2 litres of beer and drunk. I didn't feel safe and worries about my car. I hope it is safe in the morning.

Drive the extra distance and stay somewhere else. Time for some competition in the area please!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Jay P, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for reviewing our location on TripAdvisor. We value guest feedback and comments.

We strive for a positive overall guest experience and it seems we have fallen short in this case. I am hoping you will contact me personally to discuss the items listed in your review so I can learn more about your stay with us.

My number at the hotel is 204-224-1681.

Flin Flon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were there for a hockey tournament, and had one of the theme rooms - the room was fine, although small, and the pool and waterslide areas were very good. The restaurant food was good, and the service there was excellent. We will come back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

There are not too many options in this area of Winnipeg - an expensive casino or "older" beer parlour/hotels. This fills the void with a reasonably priced multi-functional facility. The building also houses a semi-classy restaurant, a gambling parlour and a sports pub.

Room Tip: If you have CAA there is a 10% discount - making a single person's stay around $120. per night...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jay P, Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Transcona, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello Bill R,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

We take great pride in ensuring our guest rooms are clean and comfortable for our guests.

Our Canad Inns Family strives to deliver a high level of professionalism and customer service.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Jay P