“Oh my god, what a nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #46 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Oh my god, what a nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

We booked this Howard Johnson online because it was inexpensive and the HoJo's website stated that it was an airport hotel! And that there was a shuttle. 30 minutes and 30 taxi dollars later we were far from the airport in a run down hotel. The website lied! The restaurannt had hours that were different than stated and when we looked in, it appeared to be a worker's cafe from the former Soviet Union. The Sauna and Hot Tub were out of order. There was no decent restaurant nearby. The money we "saved" went to the taxi. We could have stayed at the far nicer Shearton Four Points across the street from the terminal. Don't go here! ( PS, staff was nice)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cobble Hill, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Stayed for one night while travelling to western Manitoba. Booked on line and got a very good rate. Front desk was helpful and we got our room. I just think there must be two sections to this hotel as we were on the east side which appeared to be more of a motel structure. Our room was acceptable for the price and clean enough. Could have used a little updating but I've been in much worse. The big downer here is the noise. Not only is the room not at all sound proofed, the bar, which closes at 2:30 AM, emptied out right in front of our room and drunken revellers were there for some time waiting for taxis and rides. I'm not a fussy hotel patron because it was cheap and for that price you usually get what you pay for. Had I known this place was that noisy I would not have booked. We couldn't move as the hotel was fully booked. Would I stay there again..........not without earplugs. On another note the hot tub and sauna was "out of order" and we were not offered a continental breakfast which I found out afterwards shold have been available.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I have to tell you all that if you paid more than $80. a night then you overpaid. I booked the HOJO Express and got my room for around $50 and like the man always says, you get what you paid for soooooo I WAS HAPPY with what I GOT.

The hotel was fairly clean, the rooms were ok, the beds were great and comfortable and the best thing going was I didn't end up broke at the end of my five day stay like all the other people who pay $100 a night for hotels that are just slightly better. This Hotel and the Room I was provided was not the worse place that I ever stayed. That would have been the TRAVELODGE at the FALLS and there I paid $120 a night..

If you want a place to CRASH at the end of a day then this is the place to be.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE (and that's an understatement)

Let me sum it up for you... If you are a smoker than this might be your paradise. If you are not this may be your hell.

We switched rooms twice due to the DISGUSTING conditions of the rooms. Mold, stale smoke smell, grimy floors, soiled carpet, stains, fingerprints, cig ashes in 'non smoking" rooms, fridge not working .... the list goes on.

We had to take wet towels and put them at the door to stop the smoke from coming in.

It got so bad we had to check out and I had to speak with the head office and we got a refund.

The disturbing thing is that the staff there seemed genuinely oblivious to the plumes of smoke coming from ALL of the non-smoking rooms.

My wife got sick because the smoke and toxins in the air, upholstery, bedding, window coverings, and carpet set off an allergic throat reaction.

If I could rate this hotel any lower I would!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

I am a regular house wife that lives in Virden, Manitoba. I planned to go to Winnipeg to do Christmas shopping at Polo Park Shopping Center. I decided to checked-in to this hotel because I found to be good and relaxing. It was very accessible to Winnipeg Perimeter highway as well as their parking for my truck. Polo Park was just down Portage Avenue. It was easy for me to go back and forth to my hotel whenever I want.

The hotel has a licensed restaurant named Howard Johnson Grill. They offer the best meal with affordable prices. The hotel has a cable television, wireless internet access and an ironing board. However, I admire their Sauna bath and its big whirlpool among their other relaxing facilities.

Though I stayed at this hotel for only a day, I will never forget the sensation I felt when I went to their Sauna. I will never forget how it removed all of my problems in life. Finally, I will bring this good experience and share it to my family and friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Canmore, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel and checked in around 8pm. "Steve" was working at the desk, and informed me that the debit/credit card machine was not working and I would have to pay cash. I had no problem with this, and he led me to the ATM in the adjacent lounge (add $4 in service charges to get cash). So I paid him $92.50 and checked in. My room was terrible, the smell is disgusting. Loud and old-timey A/C, not close enough to the wireless signal to access the internet, the windows wouldn't open, the bathroom was filthy..BAAH! Anyway, we suffered through it, exhausted after driving all day. The next morning I went to check out and my receipt showed that I had only paid $73.94 in cash. I asked the lady working and she said that was the amount "Steve" had put in his deposit for my room, and that he had probably pocketed the difference. I asked her about the debit/credit card machine, and she told me it had been working fine. So after unsuccessfully trying to contact "Steve" and see what was going on here, the manager finally agreed to refund me the difference and take it off the guy's pay. I would never stay there again and I hope that others will avoid it as well. If I had done some research in advance, I NEVER would have stayed there, but when you are driving across the country, you get a little tired after being in a car all day and you just want to get any room you can get.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed in this motel 2 nights- week apart. And what a difference.
First time we had nicely appointed large room with desk and chair for computer, fridge, microwave. Since hotel does not have elevator receptionist help us with lugagge. Everything was perfect.
So we came back week later and had shock of our life.
Room was small, computer desk gone as were fridge and microwave.Food went to garbage.
Steve , the receptionist was not working that evening. Needless to say, we will never visit HOJO again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Express Winnipeg? Share your experiences!