“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Lloydminster
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Next to the last night on our cross 2 country trip. Easy access to trans Canada west. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We were given a ''home office'' room. It was spacious and well appointed and the bathroom was a good size. There is a nice bar/lounge and the breakfast deal is quite good. All in all a very good stay despite some questionable reviews.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Winnipeg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have stayed there dozens of times and this was the worst of them all. I checked in around 4:00 P.M. and began unloading the car. I went to turn the lights on and they were unplugged. I was able to plug in one of them but had to get the girl to come and move the bed to plug in the other one. While she was there I told here that the room was very smokey and that I was leaving to pick up my husband and could I have some air freshener. She said there was one over the door, but that it was not working so she would get a replacement. The weekend help said they were out of the canisters.....meanwhile on Monday morning there was a cupboard full of them. They just couldn't be bothered replacing it. The girl in the office brought out an air ionizer and said to just leave it on and that I would smell the fresher air instead of the smoke. It was very loud and it was on from 5:00 P.M. until I checked out the next day. It gave me a headache and I could not sleep because of the noise all night.

I had tried to open the screen door, but the screen was pushed out and the mosquitoes started to come in. I was unable to leave the door open as the chain had been disconnected and it just slammed shut all the time. I suppose that I could have taped the screen to the side of the door but I was afraid that they would just say that they were out of scotch tape also. My husband did not come back with me for the night because of the smoke, so there went our 30th anniversary down the tube.

I was very upset with this whole episode and expected that they would at least have the decency to give us a replacement night for all this trouble. I was instead given back $20.00. Since then I had heard that a person is not supposed to stay in the room with the air ionizer and that it is only supposed to be turned on for 15 to 20 minutes at a time....NOT 18 OR 19 HOURS....AND the sign in the room warns people about a $250.00 fine for smoking in these non-smoking rooms. The management charged that person the $250.00 but left me in the room and gave me back $20.00. This seems outrageous to me. I'm the one who was put out and I'm the one who should have been given another room for another night.

Considering the number of times that I have stayed at this particular hotel and the many people that I have recommended it to I am really not happy about the outcome of this stay and it will affect my next getaway choice.

I hope to get a speedy response from you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The exterior needs a good paint job. The frame inside the door is cracked around the deadbolt like someone kicked the door in. The room just feels old and unwelcoming. If your just looking for a place to stay, then it's an ok place.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Howard Johnson Express Winnipeg? Share your experiences!