“Why stay anywhere else?!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Winnipeg

You added Clarion Hotel Winnipeg to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Winnipeg
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1445 Portage Avenue | Winnipeg Airport / Polo Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 3P4, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Why stay anywhere else?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Clarion staff provide excellent customer service! The suite was spacious and very clean. The king size bed was so comfortable! The kids had a blast in the pool with waterside and the adults absolutely loved the mineral spa and steam room. Top notch Clarion! Excellent job! Highly recommended!!

• Stayed June 2013
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Gabey, Thank you for posting your review! We pride ourselves on our customer service and appreciate the fact that you noticed such! Our housekeeping staff are some of the best in the city and we are ecstatic to hear that you noticed their attention to detail! Yes...we have something to offer for everyone...adults...children...we have it all. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the bed...as we know that is so very important to anyone staying away from home. We systematically replace beds as necessary in order to ensure that our guests are as comfortable as possible. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Clarion one day very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for a week on business at the end of May/13. Second business trip to this location. Reservations and check in were perfect. Found the elevated parkade walkway over to the hotel with no problem. Only one elevator was working during the week, with one shut down for repairs. The room had a wet bar in the living room side and a king bed on the bedroom side. One tip would be to have floor lamps beside the couches and lounge chairs for reading. The room is large and the perimeter lighting is low, so you do need more light to effectively read a newspaper. I was overlooking Portage Ave., 3rd level in the corner and was not bothered by road noise. The bed was very comfortable, with the only complaint being the large round pillows. I'm more of a flatter pillow guy, and these do not punch down! Did not try the lounge for a drink in the main lobby, nor the pool/spa area, but both looked very nice. What I do like about this hotel, is how large the spaces are. There is ample room wherever you go, from the lobby, to the hallways to the room. The hotel is beside polo park on the east end, where the great restaurants are located. Earl's is across the street and well recommended. The food court for the mall is at the east end also on the second floor, so you don't have to walk far if you are tired of the Original Pancake House which is connected to the west side of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Happy Campers, We sincerely appreciate the time you took to post a review! We apologize for the fact that only 1 elevator was in working order during your stay, however, we are in the process of undergoing major repairs and renovations to every aspect of the hotel. Thank you for your understanding during this process! We are happy to hear that even though your room faced Portage Avenue...one of the major avenues in Winnipeg,.... that you were not disturbed in anyway. We have done anything and everything in our power to ensure that you have a quiet and comfortable stay and we have spent thousands of dollars soundproofing the rooms so that your stay is as enjoyable as possible. We are about to begin further renovations and we have taken your comments regarding the lighting in the rooms to heart. We have advised our contractors of the situation and it will be addressed during the renovations! As for the pillows, please note that we have a few different options to choose from. As the majority enjoy the soft fluffy pillows, we understand that this is not the case with every guest. So...we have options...for any future stays with us please advise the front desk upon booking...or upon check in as to your preference regarding pillows and we will ensure that they are brought up to your room with a smile. We do have some of the largest guestrooms and suites offered in Winnipeg as we know how important it is for guests to have their own space. Thank you for stating such. Yes, we are very lucky to be so close to Winnipeg's largest shopping mall and numerous restaurants. We are truly Winnipeg's destination hotel. We sincerely look forward to seeing you again one day soon!
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Clarion while visiting family and friends in Winnipeg. We had the Moroccan Theme Suite. The suite was very large and comfortable, though the only thing that made it "Moroccan" was the palm tree-and-camel wall paper. The King+ sized bed was very comfortable and a huge highlight! The front-desk staff were helpful and allowed us late check-out to accommodate our online Spanish classes we had to do from the room that morning. We didn't try room service but instead did take-out from The Pancake House downstairs which was fast and tasty. Since there were no kids in the pool, we had a lot of fun racing down the waterslide too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest, We sincerely appreciate your review! We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do understand that our themed rooms are in need of renovations and we are about to begin renovations of our guestrooms in January. We will be eliminating the themed rooms and converting them into luxury suites and we are sure that they will exceed every expectation! We are excited for the renovations and know that these rooms will be the best that the city has to offer! We are consistently inspecting and replacing our beds as we know that this is the key to a comfortable stay when away from home! We always offer a late check out if it can be accommodated as customer service is at the top of our priority list. Once again...Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back one day soon!
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

One night stay on Saturday June 8/2013
I had noticed a strong odor in the room which I wasn't too sure if it the smell was a fumigated toxic smell or paint. That evening upon returning to my room I had notice the smell was lingering in the hotel room. As I called to report the toxic smell to the front desk to ask for another room I was notified the hotel was fully booked. So I had asked for assistance with the air conditioning with hopes the smell would go undetected. Now that I had stayed the night both me & my child are not feeling well from the lingering painted or fumigated smells in the king size executive room. Sunday morning I had called the front desk to report again the scent and made a request for water to be sent up. The hotel bell man came up & acknowledged the room smelled of a strong painted smell. Me & my child got ready to check out. I had went to to desk to discuss my issue with the hotel manager whom was busy trying to locate another guest arrival of room reservation (same thing happened to me when I booked online). The front hotel clerk named Melanie informed me she would discuss my concerns with the hotel manager. Since there was a long wait for guests at the front lobby, I've asked Melanie to have the hotel manager to call me. I'm disappointed with the outcome of being offered $20.00 off my stay including the fact the  manager did not see my concern as a health issue for myself, my child and other guests.  Also, the hotel manager had not called me nor did she handle my complaint regarding room 318 with diligence. The front hotel clerk Melanie had called me to inform me that I would save $20.00 off the one night hotel stay. I have travelled and stayed in the best hotels around North America and abroad. I had found that my complaint & customer care was overlooked. She also has mentioned she would email me my invoice of stay for which I had not received by Clarion Hotel in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

An email was sent to the hotel group for which had provided me a case number. The only positive feedback to offer is the pool & refreshment centre plus the Pancake House. Disappointed.
I've returned home with feeling sick from the hotel stay.

• Stayed June 2013
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, Thank You for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are currently in the process of deep cleaning and repairing each and every one of our guest rooms. Carpets and wallpaper are being replaced....guest rooms are receiving a fresh coat of paint. Door frames and furniture are being repaired. Beds and bedding have been replaced. We have completed the third and fourth floors of the hotel at this point and we are about to start on the second. We sincerely apologize that this process caused you to have a disappointing experience! The notes in your reservation stated that we did infact send a security guard to your room to assist you with the air conditioner, however, you did not answer the door when he knocked. Nor did you answer the phone when the front desk agent called to check to see if you needed any assistance. That is unfortunate as we may have been able to fix the situation.
I have brought your concerns regarding the customer service you received to the attention of our Front Desk Manager. Unfortunately, the front desk agents do not have the authority to offer more than a $20 discount to the guest. Melanie did what she could at the time and she did make a note in your reservation stating that you were happy with that as a solution. However, I see that this was not the case. The Front Desk Manager should have contacted you to discuss your concerns. I would assume that this was a small breakdown in communication as we pride ourselves on our superb quality of customer service. I assure you that I will be following up with this situation. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me directly as I would love the opportunity to discuss this matter with you in more detail. Perhaps there is something that I can do to make it right! Once again, Thank you for providing us with your feedback.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We recently celebrated our daughters wedding at the Clarion Hotel. The ceremony and the reception both took place in the beautiful banquet rooms downstairs.
The dinner, and the late lunch (skewers, fruit, cheese, etc.) were amazing!
We rented the Executive suites at the Hotel, to host some of our guests between the events. The rooms were clean and very spacious, providing us with the comfort and amenities we needed for our guests.
THANK YOU VALLA, and all your staff for such a wonderful, memorable day we will cherish!

Side note: I love the Oasis Spa, a "spa" by definition....very nice place to be!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hello parents! Thank you for posting your review! We are so very happy that we exceeded your expectations....as well as those of the Bride and Groom. Our entire team works diligently to ensure that every function is a successful one. Whether it be a function for 5 people or 300 people, we place the same amount of effort and precision into each and every event. Please do keep us in mind for any future events that you may be planning. We would love to work with you and your family again.
Transcona, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

First off i want to say want a WONDERFUL hotel this was! My maid of honour and I stayed the night before the wedding in the executive suite, it was fantastic, the staff knew it was for a wedding and moved a few things around in the room so it would work better for us without us telling them about it! They accomodated us with early check ins and late check outs! For the wedding we had the Saskatchewan and Manitoba rooms! The staff was very friendly and the food, OH MY GOSH!!! the food was FANTASTIC! We have the chicken breast stuffed with asperagus and provlone cheese with green beans almonden, honey glazed carrots and baby potatoes...everyone raved how good it was! They accomodated us with glueten free option and a nut free option so all our guests could enjoy the meal we choose! My husband and i then got to stay in the honeymoon suites which is a themed suite and it was a beautiful room and the beds in the hotel are SOOOO comfortable! I would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE! If your coming just for a night or looking for a venue for an event go with CLARION HOTEL! They did an excellent job and i am VERY happy we choose the clarion!!!! Thanks for everything!
Also the Mineral Spa there is to die for! everyone should stop by there and get a service or just spend time in the mineral pool! I love the spa staff they are VERY friendly and love to talk. Which i loved! They were also very accomodating!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Caitlyn, Thank you so very much for taking the time to post a review. We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your special day! Our team of Wedding professionals make it their top priority to ensure that attention is paid to every detail! From the first meeting to the last, we walk our couple's through the process from start to finish. We never limit the amount of meetings and are available for any advice at any time. We take great pride in the quality of both our cuisine and service and we appreciate the fact that you noticed how hard we work to ensure that each and every event goes off without a hitch. All the best to you and yours and do come back and visit us someday soon! We don't look at you as just a client...but part of our family!
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Well my daughter and I stayed here recently for a mini vaca.

Pros: Extremely comfortable beds, free Wifi, Room Service was quick and the food was hot when it arrived even when i was informed that the kitchen was busy, and the pool area was clean and fun.

Cons: No valet or bell service, okay well its indicated by signs and in print, but i never would have known otherwise. I would have loved to give someone five bucks to park my car for me....but no one was around the first time. The second time there were two gentlemen in suits in the lobby but one was talking and the other appeared to be more interested in his iphone. There is also a service charge for local calls from your room, this i found a tad annoying given the rate for one night....and never any towels available when going to the pool.

The hotel is also in need of some up keep; literally missing rows of tiles in their tiny hot tub, and some wall paper coming off the wall in our room.

Overall the room was clean, the food was good, the staff was friendly and the pool was nice and my daughter had fun. It is also extremely close to Polo Park for those who love shopping.

Room Tip: If you'r e a light sleeper, you may want to book a higher floor during "wedding season"...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Kiara, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. Our sincere apologies that there was no porter in the lobby upon your check in to assist you with valet and luggage. However, we do allow our guests to park in front of the hotel for up to 15 minutes during the check in and unloading process. The front desk would have been more than happy to radio a porter to assist you. The fact that you found one of the staff using a cell phone during his shift is unacceptable. This came as quite a shock to us as we pride ourselves on our courteous and attentive service. Rest assured that each and every one of our porter/valet employees have been spoken to about this situation.
The Clarion has not charged guests for local telephone calls in months. I am uncertain as to what occurred in our operating system but I did have our service technician take a look and it appears to be in proper working order. However, I have advised the front desk to keep an eye out for local telephone charges upon guests check out in order to prevent this situation from happening again. Please feel free to contact me directly as, of course, we will 100% reimburse you for these charges.
We are currently in the process of deep cleaning and repairing each and every one of our guest rooms. Carpets and wallpaper are being replaced....guest rooms are receiving a fresh coat of paint. Door frames and furniture are being repaired. Beds and bedding have been replaced. We have completed the third and fourth floors of the hotel at this point and we are about to start on the second. In addition, we have upgraded our Internet and television services in order to better serve you...the guest!
We understand that the hotel is in need of renovations and we are about to begin a full renovation this fall. Please note that we will be addressing the situation of the sound travelling to the first floor guestrooms from functions occurring on the lower level of the hotel. This will be rectified in August of this year.
Yes, our prices may be a little higher than other hotel's in the area but please note that we do offer the following amenities complimentary: parking, airport shuttle, local telephone calls, WiFi, use of computer in the lobby, use of fitness centre and access to the family water park. We believe that these added features, coupled with our product, service and location make us the perfect hotel for any guest.
Once again, Thank You for providing us wiith your feedback. We do hope that you will come back once the renovations are completed and give us another try!

Been to Clarion Hotel Winnipeg? Share your experiences!