“Great rooms - choose your location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 0G1, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #30 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Great rooms - choose your location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in late Feb, 2012.

The Meh: Check-in was fine but only one person was on and handling phone calls and live bodies. Overall it was okay but could’ve been better (more staff). Breakfast was okay, my first trip to the breakfast area resulted in cold eggs but as I went back in they were loading it back up and they were hot - it is what it is.

The very good: The room had two Queens, a good desk area, a dresser with massive drawers (I like that), nice size flat screen, mini fridge and some robes in the closet. Very nice. (see pics). Whoever pushed for good shuttle service should get a raise. This hotel is close to the airport (nice for some) but away from a lot of other things. They can and will shuttle you around. Sure, it takes awhile but in some cases the wait for the shuttle is less than that of a taxi (seriously). The bottom line is you may have to wait a bit for the shuttle, maybe even make a second call to make sure it is coming but it’s great if you’re on a budget and want to save a few $$. It’s a huge plus, I hope they don’t cut back on it to save money.

The not so good: My room overlooked a massive Walmart - no big deal on the view. But after 11:00 p.m. snow removal trucks hit the Walmart parking lot. First they started with small machinery in the tight areas followed by the big plows - the noise stopped at around 4:00 a.m. Obviously this isn’t the fault of the hotel but if you arrive with a lot of snow on the ground you may want to ask for a room opposite of the Walmart side. The front desk staff are hit and miss. As some reviewers have mentioned poor service and others it was very good. I was never treated badly but I think some staff are better than others. This isn’t anything that can’t be fixed via some training etc.

Anyway, I’m giving this a generous 4* as I don’t feel the snow plowing of the Walmart lot for hours was their fault but it drove me nuts. Some reviewers complained of a loud HVAC system - I would’ve loved that over the plow noise. I cranked the fan up on my system in hopes to drown out the sound, no such luck. I’m okay with steady background noise but not plow and stop, plow and stop. Lol

Check this one out as a good and less expensive alternative to the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Moosomin, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

1st when booking 2 suites we were told we could get two rooms on the same floor. Checking in was told can',t only one suite on each floor, front desk woman was quite rude! Then there was no HOT breakfast as advertized, Then in the room info books stating that the pool is open 6am to 11pm they close the pool at 10pm. For the prices on these rooms it is better to stay elsewhere for less money and better service!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel for less money> Value for the dollar is not worth it here in winnipeg Fairfie...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kenora, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed for one night and I'm glad it wasn't two. This is a fairly new structure and appears to be constructed from wood. I assume this from the sound of thumping feet carrying through the building. Because of its newness, the rooms are newly decorated and in good condition. This must be why the rate is as high as it is. It is a bit out of the way but you can see from the landscape outside that more development is being planned. It is a short drive to Polo Park Mall and a short walk to Walmart.
The heater/AC unit drove me crazy. When it kicked in, it sounded like a deisel locomotive was idling outside. Something was ticking inside the unit which kept me awake most of the night. I stared at the ceiling from 4 AM on. I found the bed uncomfortable but that might have been because I couldn't sleep.
The pool seems built more for small children. The main access simulates a beach and it is only about 1 metre deep. If you like swimming laps, this is not the pool for you. The waterslide is fun and you can feel some G-force before shooting out of the end. As fun as it is, I worry about someone getting hit if the pool is busy. There is a hot tub for adults that need a hot soak. We had to ask for pool towels. Mine had a big hole in the middle. Too much bleach I guess.
Continental breakfast was slightly above the norm as it offered scrambled eggs and sausages. There were only two flavours of jam and they were old. The jam was of the consistency of rubber pucks and unspreadible. Salt, pepper and ketchup was only available at the counter. It would have been nicer to have it available at the table or at least offer packets.
In summary, this is a nice, newer hotel with newly appointed rooms. It would be good for families with younger children. It has potential provided management heeds comments from its guests. The rate is slightly overinflated but hotels in Winnipeg seem to be always full on theweek-ends. It would not be my first choice but not my last either.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor so you don't have to listen to feet pounding overhead. Ask to see the roo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Nothing special from a Marriott experience perspective. Only show in town in your part of their loyalty program. Nothing within walking distance. Very close to airport though. Shuttle service one way - might go further than the 5kms if you're nice and it's not busy. Pool area is cool - would come back with kids in the area. Of particular note for Outdoorsy types - great Cabela's store across the street - amazing deals... wish I had brought a bigger suitcase.
Best thing - nicely renovated walk-in showers... reminded me of a Marriott.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Mendota Heights, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed for two nights in March and found the hotel to be extremely comfortable and well run. I had a king suite that I got for a price $30 less than a regular king room. It was very large with two flat screen TVs, and a sitting room with a couch, chair, and a desk. The decor was beautifully contemporary and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was great with good lighting and a huge walk in shower. The staff couldn't have been nicer. When I asked if my extended party could bring in pizza to eat in the breakfast room, she offered to let us use the private meeting room at no charge so that we could all eat around one table. The free van to the airport was a bonus. I didn't use the pool, but there were many families there who appeared to be very happy with it. I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the parking lot side. There are train tracks on the other side.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Regina, Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed here for one night in March and was pleased with the property. It was a little out of the way but it's right beside some shopping areas including the big mall. The staff is very friendly and the hotel has a free shuttle that is first come, first serve. It will bring you within 5km of the hotel. There are computers in the lobby that are free and easy to access, and the morning breakfast includes scrambled eggs, waffes and everything in between. Bigger than others at the same hotel chain. And on the morning I checked out, there was a bit of a blizzard and the shuttle was free and I ended up getting a ride to my office right away. The day before I had waited 45 mins for a cab to the hotel so having the shuttle was very convenient.
Also it has a nice pool with a kids area and waterslide that would be nice for families.
Free wifi in the rooms (my co-workers stayed at the Delta which only has wifi in the lobby and does not include a free breakfast or shuttle!)

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator or maid's room because you'll hear doors opening and cl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel approximately 6 times. Though I love the hotel (modern decor, comfortable and clean rooms, etc) I've found the front desk staff to sometimes be rude or give you the feeling that you are an inconvenience. (In saying that, there is one woman there who is always very nice and welcoming, and is willing to answer your questions with a smile. As other guests have mentioned, I wish I could remember her name as she was nothing like the others).

On 2 occasions over the past year I requested a late check-out time; both times I was assured it wouldn't be a problem. On the first occasion we went down to the front desk the morning of checkout to confirm the late checkout was still OK, and we were received with heavy sighs and a "2:00PM is the latest you can stay" reply. If it is such an inconvenience then why do they offer it?

The second occasion we called the front desk the morning of checkout to confirm the late checkout time, and we were told it could not be accommodated and that we needed to be out by 12. So if we hadn't called that morning to confirm, would we have been kicked out at 12 by the maid?

I completely understand late checkout depends on availability and how many people will be checking in that morning. However, I think they could do a better job of managing expectations. Don't tell me "it won't be a problem" if it might be a problem. Call me to let me know the hotel is booked and it can't be accommodated. People staying here may be catching a plane and those 2 hours makes the difference of having a place to stay and relax vs waiting at an airport gate. You may plan your day around it.

Like I said, the hotel itself is great. The staff however can make or break the experience and the past few stays I have been disappointed. I don't know that I will be staying here again in the near future. I've had much better customer service elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg? Share your experiences!