“Worst "nightclub" ever. In-depth review from world wide partier.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #105 of 163 things to do in Winnipeg
More attraction details
Owner description: The World Famous Palomino Club is celebrating it's 23rd year as Manitoba's #1 Nite Spot!We are famous for showcasing all the best in live entertainment in Winnipeg! From Country Rock & Classic Rock to all your favorites both current & past accompanied by Winnipeg's BEST DJ's playing the hottest Dance Tracks & Modern Rock!
Chatan-cho, Japan
6 attraction reviews
“Worst "nightclub" ever. In-depth review from world wide partier.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I recently spent some time visiting Winnipeg and after talking with several of the locals decided to try out the "famous” Palomino. I was assured it was a great time every time and decided to try it out on a Saturday night. When we pulled up it was clear that there were several people waiting to get in which was good, but the overall look of the bar was a run-down country bar with little external appeal. Once we got inside there was a line which took 20 minutes to get to the front of the line where we were stopped and forced to do a mandatory coat check. Once asked if I could hold onto my coat they informed me I had to either do the coat check or put it in my car, but if I put it in my car I would have to wait in line all over again. Reluctantly I paid for my coat to be checked and then paid a $5 cover charge to get in. Once inside I quickly saw that while the place was quite busy there was a severe mismatch of guy to girl ratio. The bars theme is that of a country bar and less like a nightclub. The drinks were quite pricey and mostly ice and whatever mixer was used. There was a live band playing which consisted of an older group who were doing fan-favorite covers similar to that of what you expect any cover band to do, and while the crowd was responding positively this was not my idea of a good time with good music to dance to. Quite frankly I was baffled at how this was considered one of Winnipeg’s best nightclubs. Older women, young guys, bad music, terrible drink prices and a coat and cover charge? We didn’t stay more than an hour and a half before we realized things weren’t going to get better and by 1:3Oam were headed for the door. Once we went back to get our coats they informed us that one of the tickets we turned in must have been “wrong” and there wasn’t a coat there for it. They made us empty our purses, wallets, and pockets in front of everyone before they would even consider looking for a jacket they were convinced we didn’t hand over! I was outraged and asked for a manager only be informed her wasn’t available and so I continued to deal with the rude coat check girls. Eventually once I explained we wouldn’t have paid money and received a ticket if we had not turned in a coat and if it wasn’t found I would be calling the police they started looking and found it right away. Apparently the tag had fallen off the coat onto the floor, but even after that there was no apology. I like live band bars and I love nightclubs with a good beat, and this was neither. Want to have a good time with and great drinks and good music? DON’T go here.

Visited December 2012

Calgary, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“An Interesting Time Every Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The PAL is not for everyone. But it is a good time, come with a fun attitude and ready to drink. The music is good, live and loud, the space is moving and the people are friendly. Its frequented by almost every age range from 18-80. This place is often frequented by "regulars" and over all a great place to say you've been if you've been to Winnipeg. Monday nights this is the place to be! Good prices and an fun time. Give it a try, its your option to the "hotel bars" which aren't my scene.

Visited October 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
57 attraction reviews
“Would not go again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I recently attended a "Bud & Spud" fundraiser night at the Palomino Club, who host these apparently "world famous" evenings. For $15 tickets, all we were left with was a sour taste in our mouths, both literally and figuratively.
When you first enter the club you are FORCED, yes FORCED to check your coat. You don't want to check your coat? Then you have to leave. Not only must you check your check, you must pay $2.25 for this. Please note the large sign that says they take NO responsibility for any lost or stolen items at the coat check. When questioned about the coat check enforcement, the man taking the coats replied "i dunno". When questioned further, another woman added, It's for security purposes. When asked why the charges, she replied "because of inflation". If it had not been for the fact that we were supporting a fundraiser, we would have left on the spot.

You are then corralled into the main area with loud music and high tables with stools. This is definitely a "let's feed'em and get'em outta here" mentality place. Even though it says "spud" on the tickets, which one envisions as a tasty baked potato, the choice is a steak and fries or a veggie burger and fries for vegetarians (the only positive thing i have to say is it is nice they have something to offer for vegetarians). You can also order a domestic beer, highball drink or soft drink. The steaks were quite small and came on a small piece of garlic toast. The highball drinks were 90% ice and after 3 sips the drink was gone! Drinks are also very expensive to purchase.

Service at the tables was fairly attentive at first, but really started slacking off once the place got busy. Service from anyone else, especially front of the house staff was horrible, rude and uninviting. We will certainly not be back to the Palomino Club ever again.

Visited February 2012