“you get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Marlborough Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Marlborough Hotel to your Saves list
The Marlborough Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   331 Smith Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2G9, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Boise, Idaho
“you get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed four nights there, in town for a friend's wedding on the 5th. We booked through Expedia. The hotel location was excellent, right downtown, within walking distance of a few blocks to the bar/nightlife area, which worked out for the bachellor party. I did have issues with them overcharging me. They tried to say that I spent an additional night, which I did not. When checking out, the front desk person would not give me a receipt saying that "well, we can't let you see what you paid." what? "well, you paid one price to Expedia and they pay us, so we can't let you see what they paid us." Ok, fine. We were in a hurry to get to the airport, so I didn't argue because I knew that I charged it on my Amex and they have that guarantee that if there's a dispute, they'll correct it. So after about a week of calls back and forth from Canada to the US (I made sure I had their 800 #) with the manager I finally got my refund.

We were supposed to have free parking with our booking, and when we asked about validation at the front desk for the parking lot across the street, we were told that the deal was no longer valid. We had to pay for parking. I think it was about $5 for overnight since we weren't around during the day, we tried to just check in as late as possible.

Breakfast downstairs in Joanna's Cafe was complimentary with our booking and you had a choice of the usual eggs, bacon, ham, pancakes, etc. I tried one sampling mix each day and they were all fine. Service at breakfast is slow and not too chipper.

We liked the fact that the hotel had a swimming pool with a water slide, even though we didn't use it. It looked to be clean and had lots of space.

The building itself is unique built in a Gothic and Renaissance style, opened in 1914. There's a weird locked door near the basement that's part of some club? They had a pictorial history of The Marlborough on the walls in the lobby. The dining area had pretty stained glass windows. The Regal Beagle Pub downstairs in the lobby has neat tin ceiling tiles and wooden decor, typical of pubs. We didn't have drinks there, just looked around.

They say the hotel is haunted and you're supposed to be able to see the ghost in the stained glass windows. Ask a local, apparently everybody knows about it!

The only redeeming factor to this hotel was the awesome gift shop girl. I can't remember her name, but she's the brunette one with glasses. She had lots to tell us of the history of Winnipeg, the First Nations People of Canada, and the area. She recommended a great Ethiopian restaurant down the street.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ottawa,Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

It was one of those hotels that I have not stayed in for a long time. My room was filthy, bed very uncomfortable, shower did not work properly and room was so tiny. This hotel needs a total reno. Checked out as soon as other accomodation was confirmed. An Experience in itself!! Did take photos, just unsure if i really want to post them!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
John_PerrinWinnipeg, Public Relations Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience during your recent visit. We sincerely regret we failed to satisfy your expectations.
At The Marlborough, while our rooms are somewhat dated in terms of décor, we take pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodation with a full range of amenities, good service and good value in the heart of downtown Winnipeg. As an historic building, many of our Standard guestrooms are smaller than in today’s newer hotels, but most guests tell us they offer good value. Our Superior rooms, on the other hand, are among the largest regular hotel rooms in the city. Our Housekeeping Department has been repeatedly recognized for doing an excellent job and over 80% of our beds feature new Simmons pillow-top mattresses.
Any problems with room size, housekeeping, bed comfort, shower operation or any other matter affecting your satisfaction with your stay should have been rectified by our staff immediately upon receiving your complaint.
Unfortunately, we have been unable to determine whether you complained to us about these issues and cannot identify the room you occupied. If you did complain to us, I sincerely apologize for our obvious failure to meet our own established service standards by immediately providing a satisfactory response.
Thank you again for your comments. Once again, I apologize sincerely for our failure to provide a satisfactory accommodation experience. If there is anything further we can do to address your concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Yours sincerely,
Mike Episcopo
the great white north
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

As others have said, I read alot of the reviews prior to staying here and here is my experience. I was on a conference with 6 adults and 33 teenagers, ages 16-19, this hotel was the only one that would allow us all to stay on one floor, which was excellent. When you arrive at the hotel you can tell that in its day this must have been a grand place, they have kept the ball room in its original spendor and it is a beautiful room. The actual rooms are a little tired, but if you are the kind of person who wants a clean comfortable place to stay for not alot of money, close to all the shopping and ammenities this is a great place to stay. There was also the complimentary breakfast that was hot and fast and with that many teenagers that was definitly a bonus for this hotel. The staff did their best to make our stay as pleasent as possible. One last note, on the last night of our stay, there was a very large wedding being held in the hotel and lets just say if it is good enough for a previous Govenor General of Canada to attend a wedding there, I guess that it is good enough for me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I changed 3 rooms in my 4 days stay and none of the rooms have propoer heater. Lot of bugs and absolutely pathetic place to live. Since i purchased my hotel stay with priceline, i was forced to stay in this hell.

The front office staff are extremely rude, the reason they give for pathetic service - "You paid $80 + tax per night on priceline and you will get only what you paid for and you $120 + tax per night and we will take care of you" - Has anyone heard of these kind of statement before from any reputed hotel?

Absolutely unacceptable, everything in the room is rotten and it stinks!

Come here at your own risk! This is the max that i can do to caution people out there.

Good luck.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
John_PerrinWinnipeg, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences during your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. We sincerely apologize for the difficulties you encountered.
We have been able to determine that you did complain about heat in your room. Over the period you stayed with us, we experienced a mechanical problem temporarily affecting the heat in some guestrooms. Following our established guest service procedures, we offered to relocate you to another room or alternatively to another hotel of your choice. You chose to stay with us and we provided a portable heater and subsequently upgraded you to a one-bedroom suite. The record indicates you chose to extend your stay for two additional days and we were under the impression that we had resolved the issue of lack of heat to your satisfaction. We very much regret this was not the case.
We are very sorry you felt the service you received was unsatisfactory. The comments you have attributed to our front office staff, and characterized as extremely rude in reference to Priceline, are not in keeping with our guest service standards and we sincerely apologize for any comments of this nature. We value our relationship with our guests and with Priceline and other on-line travel agencies, and take seriously our commitment to ensure every guest’s satisfaction without regard to rate or method of reservation. By doing so, we strive to provide a welcoming and well-priced destination for over 40,000 guests each year. We can find no record of a complaint about lots of bugs nor of a complaint that everything in your room was rotten and it stinks [sic]. If there is anything more we can do to address your concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.
Thank you again for sharing your experiences. We truly regret The Marlborough did not meet your expectations.
Yours sincerely,
Mike Episcopo
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Although reviews for this hotel were concerning, I decided to see for myself as my budget is limited. To my surprise I was greeted at the desk by very pleasant and professional staff that made me feel welcome. The hotel is most certainly a very beautiful historic building. It is right downtown and is within walking distance to everything. Although the rooms are tired, they are clean and comfortable and since I didn't plan on spending my time in the room, only so sleep I felt the savings staying here was of great value as I could use the extra cash towards other expenses. The hot breakfast that is included was outstanding and in a most beautiful restaurant. Although I didn't use the shuttle service, this is also a real plus for travelers. I was fortunate enough to be there for their Sunday Brunch and although there weren't many customers enjoying this hidden treasure, I was most certainly impressed with the moderate price for this delicious buffet. It is serviced in the beautiful Churchill room with the talented Robert on the piano. If I lived in Winnipeg I would be there once or twice a month. What value. Over all, as one person wrote "5 star service in a 3 star hotel". I might add to that "at a 2 star price".

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thunder Bay Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I like old style hotels so I am sorta biased here. I found it to be all that can be expected from an older hotel. I gave an aura of permanence

HOWEVER

My car was broken into while it was parked in the parkade across the street. This is a huge problem in downtown Winnipeg. While the front desk was sympathetic and assisted me in contacting the police, I realized there is little else they could do.

It is close to several of the gay bars in the downtown section and the night life seemed vibrant and alive.

I would try to locate some place else to park my car, but other than that it was clean and I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Although the hotel could use a remodel or at least facelift, it is a good bargain in terms of location, staff, cleanliness and other traveler needs. It provides a complimentary breakfast with several selections and airport shuttle.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Marlborough Hotel? Share your experiences!