“The rooms are brutal but the top floor ballroom is amazing.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Marlborough Hotel

You added The Marlborough Hotel to your Saves list
The Marlborough Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   331 Smith Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2G9, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #53 of 66 Hotels in Winnipeg
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
“The rooms are brutal but the top floor ballroom is amazing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Recently came here for a wedding reception. We stayed here because it was in the same hotel as the reception and we received a special wedding rate on the room which was quite reasonable. The rooms are in really rough shaped and not very good. The top floor ballroom is amazing and a great venue for a function. The lobby and just outside the front door has a lot of undesirable people loitering around which isn't appealing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travis K
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Travis,
Glad you enjoyed The Skyview Ballroom and I hope you enjoyed the reception. Sorry to hear that your room wasn’t up to standard. We will certainly investigate the room you were in and rectify the problem.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I am travelling alone this time and choosing budget accommodations. First visiting to Winnipeg so I picked down town budget hotel which were offer free wi-fi and breakfast. Locatıon is good close to most. Breakfast you have three different egg stuff AND one cereal option which is fairly good. free coffee and tea serving. but servers !, unmannerly. Hotel has not been upgraded since WW2 . May be I am tong but feel like that. Room was large and bright but no open window for fresh air. No air con neither refrigerator. Towels and bed sheet was reasonable clean. I sleep well so silence which is good. Bathroom large enough. No bugs or mold I did see.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Managment5680,
Thanks for the comments and I am glad you found our hotel to be a good value with a good selection of free hot served breakfast. I can assure you that the hotel has gone through many changes since WW2. Our rooms are very bright with large windows and our pillow top beds are quite comfortable. We will address your service concerns with our cafe staff and I appreciate you letting me know of your concerns.

Stockholm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

There are loads of super dodgy people hanging around in the lobby and outside the hotel. It's actually really threatening and scary. Although the room was clean, the hotel itself needs a lot of updates. Wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Ljs1387,
I’m sorry that you did not find the surrounding area of the hotel to your liking. Unfortunately we cannot always control the people outside of the hotel. I am glad the room was clean for your stay and I do hope you will reconsider and try us again – maybe on your next visit you can book one of our suites?
Chris Dubberley

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Yes, the hotel is a little dated and does show its age in a number of areas, however you can tell a lot of effort has been made to provide upgrades to maintain modern amentities avaialble to guests. I was provided a room on the 4th floor - which was explained to me as their executive floor. It was card access only and only accessible to hotel guests on that floor. It was convienient and close to the MTS Centre to see Queen and for the price, it had a bar and restaraunt which made the stay really good. As the hotel does not have a dedicated parkling lot for guests, be prepared to be offered options for parking upon check in. If you have stayed in big US cities, you will see this is somewhat common. For the price, location and what you get, it is more than reasonable and I would definitly stay again.

Room Tip: Free WIFI was a plus and connection was really good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Robertfly2014
Dear Robertfly2014,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on you stay at The Marlborough. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the location to the MTS Centre met you needs for the Queen concert.

We hope to see you soon for your next visit to Winnipeg.
Canadian Prairies
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I just stayed here with a group of women when we came to Winnipeg to see Cher. We are in our 30's and 40's, career women, some married, some moms. The location of the hotel is walking distance to the MTS centre so it's very convenient. We have all stayed at some of the nicer hotels in the area, but there seemed to be no standard rooms available at them, just pricier suites. Since we didn't need anything fancy we settled for the Marlbourough. Our plan was to drink and stay out late so we just needed a place close by to crash. We didn't have any problems with either the guests or the people in the area. Our rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable. There wasn't anything special about the rooms but we weren't coming to Winnipeg to admire a room. We had drinks after the show in the Regal Beagle, nice bar, friendly staff and regulars, fun music. We ate our free breakfast in Joanne's. We were surprised that we could order off the menu. It was a good breakfast that hit the spot. The restaurant was a little busy, probably due to the fact that it was Saturday, but the staff there were friendly and worked hard. Parking cost $10 in the lot one block over. The front desk staff were sure to warn us not to leave anything of value in the vehicles over night, very considerate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying at this hotel for a quick night it you are catching a show or a game, but it you want to stay longer, I would personally stay in another part of the city. If you want to have a few drinks and not worry about driving anywhere or cab fares, this is very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirbster119
Dear Kirbster119,
Thanks for your comments on your visit to The Marlborough. I am glad you had the opportunity to stay with us and enjoy our restaurant and lounge. I hope you enjoyed the concert as well – we certainly did have a number of guests in to see Cher. We may not be fancy but we do take pride in providing excellent service to our guests and a comfortable place to stay.

We hope to see you again for your next concert trip!
Fargo, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place must house a lot of homeless people cause the crowd of 10-20 people that constantly lauder outside is less than pleasant. They watch your every move, checking you out and make sexual comments. I was there with my parents and husband and my mom and I felt very uncomfortable.

The hotel itself really needs an update. Our room was horrible. If I didn't wear shoes my feet were dirty black and stick to the floor. The air conditioning doesn't work so it was really muggy hot. We got a room with two beds and the beds were tiny! Also be ware of getting stuck in the elevator, when it gets to your floor the door opens super fast and then shuts bringing you back down to the main floor. I really don't think if was worth paying $100 to stay for one night....maybe $50 would be more worth it however the complimentary made to order breakfast made it better.

The restaurant for breakfast was very pretty and the breakfast itself was very good. You only get water or coffee for free though, have to pay $2.50 for a glass of juice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SGeroy
Dear SGeroy,
I can assure you we do not “house a lot of homeless people” but we do have a variety of guests who use our facilities from banquet functions to the hotel itself. I am sorry if some people outside of the hotel made you uncomfortable but we do have on site security to assist with moving unfriendly people from our front door. If your room had an issue our front desk staff will make every effort to find you another room or assist with locating a property more to your liking. Glad you liked the free breakfast.

Leduc, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is not what it says it is. It's very crowded lobby with people trying to stay warm. Rooms were very cold at night and you could smell smoke. If it was not for the security guard I would have never stayed.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank JLM6766
Dear John M,
Thanks for the feed back – I apologize if the room was cold for you and our maintenance staff would have been happy to correct the problem if they had been notified or housekeeping would be happy to provide additional blankets upon request if the heat is lacking or we can move you to a different room if required. I’m glad you felt better having our security on site.