“A Comfortable and Affordable Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Marlborough Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Marlborough Hotel to your Saves list
The Marlborough Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   331 Smith Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2G9, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #54 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
“A Comfortable and Affordable Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Yes, the hotel is a little dated and does show its age in a number of areas, however you can tell a lot of effort has been made to provide upgrades to maintain modern amentities avaialble to guests. I was provided a room on the 4th floor - which was explained to me as their executive floor. It was card access only and only accessible to hotel guests on that floor. It was convienient and close to the MTS Centre to see Queen and for the price, it had a bar and restaraunt which made the stay really good. As the hotel does not have a dedicated parkling lot for guests, be prepared to be offered options for parking upon check in. If you have stayed in big US cities, you will see this is somewhat common. For the price, location and what you get, it is more than reasonable and I would definitly stay again.

Room Tip: Free WIFI was a plus and connection was really good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Robertfly2014,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on you stay at The Marlborough. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the location to the MTS Centre met you needs for the Queen concert.

We hope to see you soon for your next visit to Winnipeg.
Chris Dubberley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Canadian Prairies
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I just stayed here with a group of women when we came to Winnipeg to see Cher. We are in our 30's and 40's, career women, some married, some moms. The location of the hotel is walking distance to the MTS centre so it's very convenient. We have all stayed at some of the nicer hotels in the area, but there seemed to be no standard rooms available at them, just pricier suites. Since we didn't need anything fancy we settled for the Marlbourough. Our plan was to drink and stay out late so we just needed a place close by to crash. We didn't have any problems with either the guests or the people in the area. Our rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable. There wasn't anything special about the rooms but we weren't coming to Winnipeg to admire a room. We had drinks after the show in the Regal Beagle, nice bar, friendly staff and regulars, fun music. We ate our free breakfast in Joanne's. We were surprised that we could order off the menu. It was a good breakfast that hit the spot. The restaurant was a little busy, probably due to the fact that it was Saturday, but the staff there were friendly and worked hard. Parking cost $10 in the lot one block over. The front desk staff were sure to warn us not to leave anything of value in the vehicles over night, very considerate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying at this hotel for a quick night it you are catching a show or a game, but it you want to stay longer, I would personally stay in another part of the city. If you want to have a few drinks and not worry about driving anywhere or cab fares, this is very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kirbster119,
Thanks for your comments on your visit to The Marlborough. I am glad you had the opportunity to stay with us and enjoy our restaurant and lounge. I hope you enjoyed the concert as well – we certainly did have a number of guests in to see Cher. We may not be fancy but we do take pride in providing excellent service to our guests and a comfortable place to stay.

We hope to see you again for your next concert trip!
Fargo, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place must house a lot of homeless people cause the crowd of 10-20 people that constantly lauder outside is less than pleasant. They watch your every move, checking you out and make sexual comments. I was there with my parents and husband and my mom and I felt very uncomfortable.

The hotel itself really needs an update. Our room was horrible. If I didn't wear shoes my feet were dirty black and stick to the floor. The air conditioning doesn't work so it was really muggy hot. We got a room with two beds and the beds were tiny! Also be ware of getting stuck in the elevator, when it gets to your floor the door opens super fast and then shuts bringing you back down to the main floor. I really don't think if was worth paying $100 to stay for one night....maybe $50 would be more worth it however the complimentary made to order breakfast made it better.

The restaurant for breakfast was very pretty and the breakfast itself was very good. You only get water or coffee for free though, have to pay $2.50 for a glass of juice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SGeroy,
I can assure you we do not “house a lot of homeless people” but we do have a variety of guests who use our facilities from banquet functions to the hotel itself. I am sorry if some people outside of the hotel made you uncomfortable but we do have on site security to assist with moving unfriendly people from our front door. If your room had an issue our front desk staff will make every effort to find you another room or assist with locating a property more to your liking. Glad you liked the free breakfast.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Hotel is not what it says it is. It's very crowded lobby with people trying to stay warm. Rooms were very cold at night and you could smell smoke. If it was not for the security guard I would have never stayed.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear John M,
Thanks for the feed back – I apologize if the room was cold for you and our maintenance staff would have been happy to correct the problem if they had been notified or housekeeping would be happy to provide additional blankets upon request if the heat is lacking or we can move you to a different room if required. I’m glad you felt better having our security on site.

Weyburn, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Great location close to downtown & MTS center. Other than that... nothing good to report. We went in December to the Olypmpic curling trials.. Every night when we came back to the hotel we would have to walk through a doorway of at least a dozen homeless type people warming up. At midnight I am not exactly comfortable wiggling my way through a bunch of people in rags hiding from the cold! I came down to the front desk for change in my socks the front desk agent says to me "Ma'am, make sure you were shoes you never know what you could pick up down here.." As he looks over at the people in the doorway. One morning the fire alarm goes off. My friend and I are upstairs alone as the guys has gone to move the car. With zero signage to the stairs we find ourselves panicking and on some unmarked very scary stairway.. going through many doors and places people obvioulsy dont venture very often. We get to the lobby and literally not a single staff member is telling people what is happening.. its -40 outside and here we are just standing around and the staff is all just hanging out. Maybe this is a regular occurnace so it doesnt worry them... but your job is to make sure your guest are informed and comfortable!! Fire trucks and fire men running around my hotel is not comforting. We were then not allowed back into the hotel for a few hours so we had the pleasure of going to the mall in our pajamas.. The stay itself: Not very clean, the hotel was probably like 40 years ago, plug ins i was afraid to use, stained sheets. Pay a few more bucks and enjoy your stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear MeganP,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel from back in December. I am a bit surprised by some of the comments as our hotel was full of curling fans such as you for the 9 days of the Roar of the Rings and we have received numerous compliments. We do try to keep non hotel guests away from our hotel the area surrounding it is a different story. We certainly do recommend that our guests wear shoes in our public area and on the way to our indoor pool/water slide. We also request that people wear shoes in our restaurant and lounge. We do maintain the cleanliness of our public areas but we would hate for someone to accidentally break a glass, track in some dirt or a rock, melting snow in our lobby does happen, and have a guest step on it – and as it was winter when you were here in the event of an emergency (more on that below) we don’t want our guests in sock or bare feet. Your comments on the fire alarm are surprising as there are detailed maps on the doors of each hotel room (standard in all hotels) with clear directions to the nearest emergency escape route. All our stairwells descend to the main level of the hotel and are clearly marked with EXIT signs as well as cross over floors. As this was a false alarm our guests were able to return to their rooms within minutes after the Winnipeg Fire Department did their jobs and ensure the safety of all. At no time were our guests asked to be outside in -40 or any weather. Based on your comments it seems that you were not happy with your stay and I apologize – I do hope that you spoke to one of our staff or managers to correct your issues but as I did not receive any negative comments regarding your stay other than this review I would guess that wasn’t the case. We are happy to assist our guests when issues and problems are brought to our attention in a timely manner.

Coffs Harbour, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We needed a hotel near to the main railway station so based on the cost and amenities we chose the Marlborough. Other reviews have stated that there are some issues with this hotel. We found some of the same issues, ie very dated and in need of some repair. It is avery busy hotel with many people apparently living on the upper floors permanently. We were firstly given a room in which the window did not fully close, the room was like a refridgerator, being the wee hours of the morning we asked the next day to be moved and the reception clerk could not have been more helpful and obliging. The second room was a vast improvement on the first room. All of the staff that we encountered were very helpful and friendly. A credit to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear L55 11,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and mentioning your experience with our staff – you are correct they are a credit to our hotel. You are also correct that we are a very busy hotel but we do not have permanent guests living on the upper floors of the hotel. We do have some guests whose requirements may keep them at the hotel for an extended stay no different than other hotels. I am glad that you found the second room to your liking and I do apologize for having to move you.

We look forward to your next stay,

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed there twice in one week. The first time I was upgarded to a business class suite while the second time I was not.
The restaurant I had the most problems with. The staff just sat around doing nothing, in full view of the patrons There was never any attempt to ask how my meal was and I was completely ignored one time when it came to refills- a person sitting with an empty glass is a READY CUSTOMER. They just seemd to literally not care at all about their customers.
The free breaksafsts were okay but you had to pay for juice and it tasted very watered down.
THe front desk staff were excellent as was the Regal Beagle's

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mark M,
Thank you for your comments. We do upgrade our guests when we have the availability to do so and you can book the business class rooms when you make your reservation. I have reviewed your comments with our dining room staff as a training tool to ensure that it does not happen in the future. I am glad that the front desk and lounge staff took such good care of you.

The Marlborough Hotel

Been to The Marlborough Hotel? Share your experiences!