“Very interesting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Marlborough Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Marlborough Hotel to your Saves list
The Marlborough Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   331 Smith Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2G9, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #51 of 63 hotels in Winnipeg
“Very interesting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went to Winnipeg for a unpink weekend. Seeing that Pink had been canceled. We got to the hotel. We were greeted by scary people outside. The wives stayed in the vehicle as the men checked in. The woman were already scared, locking the doors in fear.

Going into the place, the staff were friendly but the building deffinately needs a do over. Walls and floors are dirty/wore out. The room windows would not close properly. Blinds had holes in them. Beds looked comfortable but we didn't stay to find out as we felt unsafe and dirty. To top it off we had to argue with the assistant Manager to cancel our room. We walked out and happy we did. That horrible gut feeling!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Woodtick27,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel regarding your almost stay at the hotel. I have spoken directly with those involved to prevent future issues such as those reported. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your comments further.

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I wanted something close to downtown for shopping and found this hotel had a reasonable rate. When we pulled up to the hotel, there were 12 or so shady looking people standing around the hotel. My first instinct said, "RUN!!" While I was unloading my suitcase, I overheard one of them asking a man passing by if he could bum a smoke or had spare change. When we entered the lobby of the hotel, it was very big and beautiful.......until I noticed about 12 more shady looking people sitting on the couches and chairs. The carpets are stained badly and I could smell a lot of alcohol on some of the people. AGHHHH! I was freaking out inside!! We went up to our room and the room was nice. Just had a bit of an issue with the bathroom because it smelled sooooo bad of urine. I thought about packing up and leaving because it was only my sister and I in the room. We were a bit afraid but didn't want to have to pay to go somewhere else. We went to the drug store and purchased Lysol and sprayed it all over the toilet and floor. That worked! Later that evening we wanted to see a movie but where a little concerned about who was all hanging around the outside of the hotel when we returned. Not sure why the hotel allows this? We decided to go swimming and on the way to the pool, we passed a drunk man sitting in the lobby on the second floor. He was saying stuff to us but not sure what?!? I noticed a security guard at the front door and was polite . The staff are very nice here as well but I was just to busy freaking out about all the characters hanging around inside and outside. I did not feel safe here at all. We probably will not stay here again unless I bring male bodyguards....haha! If no one ever hears from me again, start looking at this hotel :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Freaked out at first,

I am sorry if your room was not clean upon your arrival – I wish that you had notified our front desk staff so we could have relocated you to a similar or upgraded room. Housekeeping would have immediately been there to clean the bathroom – you should not have had to. Our security staff is there to ensure that our guests feel safe and if at any time you didn’t feel that way our staff will assist as best we can. We do not allow loitering in front or in the hotel – our departments will be reminded to moitor the high traffic areas to prevent this.

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding for one night.
I stayed in a superior room and it is small. There is two small rooms with the bathroom in the middle. One room is a pullout couch and the other room has a queen sized bed both rooms had a tv.
The bathroom is small and when I tried the cold faucet, it never got cold instead got hotter in both tub and sink.
But despite all this I found the bed comfy but it was always cold in the room despite the heat being on. And one other thing when I got to the room I could distinctly hear some piano playing above the room. Only for a few minutes, I thought that was odd. I checked out the next day.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Cathy K,
I am a little surprised by the comment that the 2 room suite that you stayed in was small as they are well over 350 sq feet with an enclosed bedroom and separate living area with the pull out couch you mentioned. I do apologize if there were issues with the hot and cold water – our maintenance department would have been happy to assist. I am glad you found the bed comfortable – pillow top does make a difference as well as our Manitoba made duvets.
I am not sure what would have caused you to hear a piano playing – perhaps one of our musically inclined guests?

Thanks for your comments,
Loretto, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel has the best accommodations of any hotel I've stayed in within the U.S.A and Canada. They are very considerate of each guest wants and needs. The rooms are cleanly, the beds are extremely comfortable and they also provide many different options on the T.V. for those days when you may feel like staying indoors. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Cindy H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad you found your room to be clean and comfortable while you visited Winnipeg and we certainly look forward to seeing you in the future. I will pass on your comments to each of our departments.

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here for a concert because i was looking for a hotel that was cheap, had breakfast and a pool. I would recommend it for someone who is looking for a low price. The location was perfect because you could walk to the MTS centre and some of the good bars in town. I really liked that there was free breakfast that tasted good and had lots of options but the staff in the restaurant was terrible. They seemed like they didnt want to be working and couldn't answer simple questions about the food. The rest of the hotel staff was awesome though. The parking could be an issue for some people because there was a parking lot that had a fee but it really didnt add up to much when you thought about the money you will save staying here and being able to walk to most places downtown. The rooms were great for what we paid, a comfy bed and it was clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jenna K,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I apologize if your visit to our Café was not all it should have been. I have spoken with our service staff to ensure that they are looking after each and every guest. I am glad that you found us to be a value hotel which met your needs while attending your concert and we hope to have you visit again.

Thanks,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Staff was very good. We asked for a suite and for privacy just because our room was going to be loud. They put us on a floor that was booked for people attending a wedding which was perfect. Staff reached all of our needs we asked for! The bed was comfy and the pool is nice and simple with a fun waterslide. I expected breakfast to be a buffet so we were a little confused at first, but our meals were good. However everything about this hotel is very old.. and expect to be around a lot of drunk people. Not the safest environment. Those were my only concerns about the place.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Winnipegg,

Thank you for your comments on your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the pool and found our pillow top mattresses comfortable. Please feel free to ask for assistance from our 24 hour security to make you feel more secure.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at the Marlborough. We were extremely satisfied with the service. I was honestly a little nervous about getting a room after reading the reviews but it was no where close to what people were saying. The room was very clean. We got a complimentary breakfast with our stay. The breakfast had many choices to choose from (bacon and eggs, eggs Benedict, French toast). The staff went above and beyond. I would definitely recommend the Marlborough hotel to anyone. The architecture is absolutely amazing!

-extremely satisfied guests

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Mommy23boyz,

Thank you for not only staying with us but letting us cater your wedding! It is certainly nice to read your comments on both the room and your event. Thank you for your recommendations.

The Marlborough Hotel

Been to The Marlborough Hotel? Share your experiences!