“Nice staff and location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Marlborough Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Marlborough Hotel to your Saves list
The Marlborough Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   331 Smith Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2G9, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #52 of 63 hotels in Winnipeg
Churchill, Canada
“Nice staff and location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel has really nice staff, very helpful. The complimentary breakfast was ok, unfortunately not enough food to be satisfied for a morning meal. The rooms and bathroom were not clean, but clean enough to not run away immediately. Location is very good, close to downtown, the train station en bus stops.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Wilma128,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay at our hotel. I am glad that the staff were helpful while you were here. I do apologize that you feel you did not receive enough at breakfast as we do offer a selection of hot items not just your standard continental breakfast.

I do apologize if the room was not up to your standards of cleanliness and we would have been happy to either come and re clean the room or move you to another room.

Thanks again for staying at The Marlborough Hotel.

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The staff was nice and helpful, but the area and condition of the rooms were not very nice. We had problems coming into the hotel late at night due to them checking names for security and them not putting our names on the list. This was extremely annoying after a night out in the downtown area. The room was extremely small with a bathroom that had peeling paint and with a wall that appeared to have human snot on it. The ice machines are located in corners that do not allow the person to see on either side of him, and this made me feel rather unsafe. On a more positive note, the staff is extremely nice and helpful and do a great job, but it seems as though they do not have much to work with. In the future, I will stay someplace else in downtown Winnipeg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear 936Traveler,

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff at The Marlborough Hotel. I am sorry that the hotel itself did not achieve the same level of satisfaction. I have noted the concern regarding the location and your feeling unsafe at our ice machines – while I can’t move them we will certainly look at making sure that the area is well lit to ensure our other guests do feel safe while getting ice. To correct the room issues our housekeeping and maintenance staff will be sure to check our rooms for the concerns you made to correct them immediately. The title of your review is overpriced and unsafe and I can assure you that we are very value priced for the downtown area and our security and hotel staff try to provide a safe environment for all our guests – therefore we do verify our hotel guests in the later evenings to make sure that everyone has a comfortable stay – I do apologize if guests were not listed – this is easily corrected at the front desk.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you change your mind and try us again,

Mobridge, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

On a business trip, my son and I spent the night here. We picked the place mostly because my son had stayed there several times while attending collage in North Dakota 15 years ago.
The Marlborough was built about 1914 and was once a grand hotel. They didn't need parking back then, so there is no onsite parking. A block away, we paid $15 for open, overnight parking.
The place seemed filled with foreigners, but our night was fine. Our room was clean and quiet. We did notice pealing paint and the shower head had a side leak.
The continental breakfast was served at the hotel restaurant. There were a half dozen choices and the food was average. I had Eggs Benedict and my son had eggs and ham.The food was free with a room ticket, but 2 coffees cost $5.00 with one refill.
This was my first time in Winnipeg which seems to be a thriving metropolis. Winter driving can be difficult and there aren't any freeways. Just lots of stop lights.

Room Tip: Parking is an issue
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear rrfrey,

I am glad that your nights stay met your needs on your trip and thanks for the comments regarding the deficiencies with your room – we will certainly investigate and correct the leak and peeling paint. Our hotel is near a number of parking lots all within the same price range but we do recommend the surface parking on the corner as it allows you to pay one price and come and go as you please.
We hope to see you again if you visit Winnipeg again.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment,

Folkestone, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

A well maintained older hotel with a lot of character. The room was comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was great! The staff were polite and pleasant. Makes a good base for a short stay if you want to remain in the downtown area and don't need a car. Ideal for shops, museums and the Via Rail station.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Mumismatist,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Marlborough. Our location in downtown does make it a convenient and comfortable location when in town on business or leisure. We certainly look forward to seeing you in the future.

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have to admit I have never stayed at this hotel, although I hope to do so in the future. But I have spent time looking over the lobby, the bar, etc. These areas of the 100-year old hotel are beautifully restored while maintaining the old look.

Several weeks ago I contacted the hotel asking if there are any items which can be purchased that contain the name of the hotel. I wanted to obtain some item (e.g., drinking glass that has the name of the hotel on it) to send to my mother-in-law in Fargo, ND who used to go up to the hotel as a young girl when she had a little bit of vacation. Not only did Chris arrange for me to obtain a few hotel items, but he boxed them up and I was able to arrange for the local UPS store to pick up and ship to North Dakota. I needed to be in Winnipeg several weeks later and wanted to see the hotel for myself. While there, both managers Susan and Abdullah very graciously took time to show me around. I appreciate their kindness and I will be sure to let everyone at the hotel know how my mother-in-law likes her Marlborough memories. Thanks, everyone!

I was happy to see that there is a parking garage across the street and this would be relevant if I every have a chance to stay the night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear NMR3837,

I am glad that we could help with your request and that you got to see the hotel that has so many fond memories for your mother-in-law.

Best wishes in the New Year,

Birmingham UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel twice in October 2012. The rooms were large for the price and the beds very comfortable. The bathrooms were small and could do with redecorating. I did have an issue regarding my card being pre-authorised even though I'd prepaid my rooms. This took a lot of calls and time to resolve. Although the hotel is well placed by the Forks, Union Station and Downtown it's not the safest city I've visited and can get unwanted people hanging around outside and close by the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear home-sweet-brum,

On behalf of the staff at The Marlborough Hotel thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. I apologize for the time it took to correct your payment issue – I hope this was resolved to your satisfaction. I appreciate your comments regarding the safety of the downtown area and I will be sure to pass them on. I hope that this does not prevent you from staying with us in the future.

Saskatoon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My fiance and I booked a night in this hotel because we were traveling to catch a concert. The fact that it was a 3 minute walk from the MTS center where the concert was playing. Another selling feature for us was the complimentary breakfast.

First, and this isn't really the hotel's fault, the traffic getting to the Marlborough was TERRIBLE, it took us over an hour to navigate our way to this hotel. Upon arrival they informed us they do not have their own parking, instead we had to use the pay parking across the street. This was extremely inconvenient.

The lobby and outside of the building are very well maintained, deceptively so. Staff at the front desk did an adequate job.

The room itself was dirty and unkempt. The sink didn't drain, the shower head leaked, and the toilet handle leaked when flushed. The toilet roll holders were unevenly affixed to the wall and they came apart from time to time. The furniture had many scuffs and the air was musty. Although I didn't experience bed bugs. it was a legitimate concern of ours. The bed itself was adequately comfortable, we slept fairly well.

The Reagal Beagle bar was equally dusty and unkempt, also the clientele seemed a bit unsavory and made us uncomfortable (on a Monday night around 11pm), the kitchen closed at 10, which was disappointing for us since we had planned to have a late supper after our concert ended.

The complimentary breakfast was alright. They make you pay for your own drinks, and overcharge (almost $8 for two coffees and a soda). The food was acceptable, but just barely, standard breakfast fare with eggs slightly too runny and a undercooked hash-brown among the rest. No preserves for toast were offered. Staff liked to 'duck' you once you had ordered, I didn't get a chance to ask for any preserves, so I don't know if there are any available.

Overall, I wouldn't stay there again. It just seemed dirty and unkempt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Ellnai,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at The Marlborough. We do take all comments made to heart and make every effort to correct them for our next guest. Although I can’t do much about downtown Winnipeg traffic on a concert night, we will make every effort to correct the deficiencies that you pointed out. Your comments have in fact been addressed with all the hotel departments as a learning tool to make sure that our guests are looked after during their stay with us.

We do wish you would reconsider staying at our hotel in the future.

The Marlborough Hotel

Been to The Marlborough Hotel? Share your experiences!