“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South

You added Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2935 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2H5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Winnipeg
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed one night on a business trip. Rooms were clean and comfortable, but a bit small. Upon check-in the front desk staff informed me they were having problems with their Internet, but it would be fixed shortly. After the problem was "fixed", I still had a problem in my room. After a quick chat with the Front Desk, they got the tech support people to contact me, and the issue was successfully resolved.

I only had an appetizer (which was free after a coupon), but it was very good. Four Points always has good beer on tap, and this was no disappointment.

The front desk staff, especially Alyssa (sp?) was especially helpful in solving the internet problem as well as finding a good place to get a pizza.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience, and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Tom C, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello Mike! Glad to hear you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed a Best Brew! I am happy to let you know, that we are in the final stages of install, for a completely new state of the art Wifi system throughout the hotel. This new Wifi system is the very best and is the same kind of equipment you would find in an international airport. Also to address your guest room concern, we do have several room layout types and would be more than happy to get you into a room more suitable for your needs, on your next visit.

We hope to see you again soon.

Tom Caramanos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Rennie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Were in town because we had an early morning appointment. Hotel was very stylish & clean. The room had everything we needed and clear instructions for internet and phone. Only complaint was the curtains weren't room darkening enough for us.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the south side. It was a bit too light in our north side room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dryden, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We checked into the hotel in the late afternoon amidst a lobby full of kids and parents in town for some sort of sporting event. I thought to myself, ugh, a hotel full of kids running around. I asked the girl at the desk if she could select a room far away from the 'activity' and she assured us we would be in a quiet spot. The lobby looked fresh and nicely decorated, a lounge right there and VLT lounge was also on the main floor. The room was on the fourth floor and at the end of the hall, which was perfect. Inside the room was perhaps a little on the small side, but there was a desk, comfy chair, full closet with ironing board and iron. The bed was super comfy and the pillows were so soft I might consider purchasing some from the Four Points Store (they sell all their bedding and other stuff online). The bathroom was nicely done with a shower stall in place of the tub. It worked well for me, but you might want to inquire about a tub if you prefer one. Although I didnt use the facilities, I did visit the pool and fitness room. The pool was a nice small pool, which I read had salt water. There was a small hot tub in the corner. The fitness room was well equipped with modern equipment. I purchased an in-room movie, and while it was relatively cheap at $4.99, some of the movies were as much as $17.00, those being movies that are either in the theaters or very new. I did think that was a little steep, but I still found a good one for not too much money. I also visited the VLT lounge which was fairly quiet, the main lounge was also quiet on the Saturday, Friday night the house band was playing and they sounded good. All in all, I would recommend this hotel and will definately stay here again. The price was right, it was in the general vicinity of good shopping yet far enough out of the downtown area to avoid the riff-raff that often pops into a hotel unexpectedly. Well done Four Points!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stay at this hotel a lot when I'm in the PEG (at least 2.5 weeks over a years time). I've noticed that some rooms have been completely renovated, and some are only partially done (bathroom not completely done). In general the rooms are ok but I've stayed in better for sure. One thing that bothers me about this hotel is the VLT's on the main floor. They tend to attract strange people wandering through the lobby throughout the day/late evening. These people obviously aren't hotel guests so they shouldn't be allowed to wander back and forth through the 1st floor making actual guests feel unsafe. If the hotel has the need to have VLT's, please have a separate outside entrance without direct access to the hotel area. The complimentary breakfast is not ideal as the voucher is for $10...but nothing on the breakfast menu is under $10, so you still have to pay extra. I too have gotten attitude from "the little man in the back office" at the front desk. He's rude 90% of the times I've dealt with him. What's his problem anyway? I've never complained about anything and have never been rude to him. In any case, the front desk staff always pushes the Star Preferred Membership thing hard...which gets incredibly annoying.

In conclusion, is it mostly clean? Yes. Is it mostly comfortable? Yes. Is it a 5 out of 5 star reviewed hotel? No. With my extensive stay experience here I can comfortably rate this hotel a 3.5 out of 5.

• Stayed November 2012
Tom C, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I’m not sure what kind of hotel you are used to staying at, but The Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South is an award winning property for its outstanding décor and finishes. The Four Points Winnipeg South was the prototype Four Points worldwide, for all new materials and finishes in 2010. The hotel was expanded and fully renovated from the ground up in 2010 with absolutely nothing overlooked. The guest washrooms you speak of have been fully renovated from top to bottom and the only original piece in 10 of the rooms is the bathtubs, due to their new condition. I can assure you every aspect of this hotel is brand new, including the dining room, the two lounges, all common areas, the pool, hot tub, fitness area, the grand ballrooms and every guestroom.

The VLT’s or (Video Lottery Terminals) are located in every hotel and lounge in Manitoba and we are no different. A hotel is not restricted to room guests only and we do have many business people and neighbors that come through the hotel on a daily basis, as is the case for every hotel. We cannot set a separate entrance for the VLT lounge for security reasons.

As to the complimentary breakfast, the only item on the breakfast menu that is over $10 dollars is the Steak and Eggs, which has been removed to make things easier to understand.

My door is always open, and I would personally like to take you on a full tour of the hotel if you are ever in the area.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed on a business trip to frigid Winnipeg. A decent hotel with good breakfast. Well appointed room and very clean bathroom - the only problem was that the faucet for the shower was right under the shower and one had to have cold water sprayed all over before getting the temperature right - wonder why plumbers don't think of how people will shower! Free WiFi makes a world of difference these days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very nice accommodations while visiting the University of Manitoba. Very close to the U, plenty of eateries and convenience stores near by. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The decor and rooms were designed well (and clean!) like it had been built in the 80's and underwent an Ikea makeover.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

As a preferred member, we were assigned the room we requested on the 5th floor. It was nicely done, and as always, comfortable beds. Upon check-in we were told that free coffee was served in the mornings at the lobby. This morning as we were checking out, we asked where we could get coffee as we did not see anything in the lobby and were directed to ask the person at the Lounge. I asked if we could get our to go cups filled and she said yes. A few minutes later, she came back and said it was $7 for 2 coffees, I mentioned that I understood the coffee was free in the morning. She said that was only until 9 am, so I said I did not want it. She said that was too bad, as she had already poured it and I had to pay. Had the coffee not been in my to go mug, I would have refused, so my husband paid and I went to the front desk to relay the situation, where the gentleman there listened, however did not even apologize. To boot the coffee was luke warm.

My SIL who was also staying there as part of a wedding group, had a similar experience in the restaurant. They had $10 breakfast vouchers and the first day paid an extra $.50 each to their bill, the next day they ordered the same meal and got a bill for $8 each at the end of their meal. They questioned this and the waitress said the orange juice and coffee were $7.50, my SIL indicated it was included the day before, and again without even an I'm sorry, the waitress said yesterday's server was new and screwed up. This was after they waited over one hour for breakfast and sat in a near empty restaurant cluttered with dirty tables.

I can kind of understand $3.5 for a coffee in a dine in restaurant where I might sit and have several cups, but for one cup, using my own to go mug, is even more than Starbucks.
Rest assured we have shared our experience with several others at the wedding and will not give this property another chance next time we are in Winnipeg. There are just too many other options, than to be treated this way over a cup of luke warm coffee.

If you look at my other reviews I am very fair and objective, and I would think when I am in the lobby in the morning and ask wheres the coffee someone could have mentioned that the free coffee was no longer available, or at minimum indicate a price. This was the improvement opportunity I shared with the front desk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that have been renovated, or if you want a mini fridge make sure you request it as on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tom C, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
To Sunnyalberta27. I have read your review and have looked extensively into these matters.

The free coffee station is offered until 9 am on weekdays and 10 am on weekends. Upon your check out at noon on the Monday, you were 3 hours late for free coffee. You are also provided with free coffee in your guest room daily.

You stated you don't mind paying $3.50 for "several cups" but wouldn't pay $3.50 for your 20 0z to go thermos, that the server filled for you at noon. Your 20oz thermos is "several cups". You took full advantage during your stay, by having two of that same 20oz to go thermos filled several times each day for free. I don't see why you are so disgruntled at us for missing your free coffee on the Monday, due to your own tardiness.

Each breakfast voucher includes one beverage. The new server in training made an error and charged your "SIL" for both juice and coffee, but this was rectified immediately. The previous day all the beverages were given to your sister in law for free, because she was complaining and creating tension. The dining room was very busy that morning as it is every morning and the tables were in the process of being reset, as most had just left upon your sister in law's arrival.

Our coffee is never ever lukewarm, as it is constantly made fresh. I am familiar with your stay and I apologize for not being able to provide more free things for you, but this is a business. I haven't heard anything from your "SIL" about all this, but FYI your husband did say everything was absolutely great, when he was talking to my front desk associate Alex.

BTW, Thank you for your pleasant comments on the guest rooms.

Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South? Share your experiences!