“A decent hotel for business travellers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Winnipeg

You added The Fairmont Winnipeg to your Saves list
The Fairmont Winnipeg
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lombard Place, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 0Y3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
London, England, United Kingdom
“A decent hotel for business travellers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a fairly typical hotel for business travellers visiting Winnipeg. It's location is decently central, staff are quick, efficient, and polite, and the decor of the hotel is nice, but getting a bit worn.

Beds are large and comfortable, and rooms are large and spacious.

Overall a decent hotel, so a good place if work takes you to Winnipeg.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m pleased that you find this hotel ideal for business and I am excited to announce that we are currently undergoing renovations to the hotel to refresh several key areas. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to view our new product.
Executive Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
East St Paul
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I would like to preface this by saying that the Fairmont isn't awful by any stretch, it's just disappointing for the money paid. Small rooms, small showers, small lukewarm hot tub, and the room was lacking things that are a given in other hotels, such as a hairdryer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
JD, I was disappointed to learn that the service was not up to your expectations and that you did not feel you received value for price paid. Please accept my sincere apologies. I can assure you that I have followed up with our team in regards to some of the issues you encountered. All our rooms are equipped with hairdryers and I do apologize one was not made more readily available. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact me at Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Although the staff is wonderful, it cannot make up for the poor condition of the hotel. Room air conditioner was not working well and after 3 requests for repair, they left us a fan! Room is small and looks "tired" - definitely needs refurbishing. Swimming pool was taped off as it needed repair. However, the week we were there, it was not repaired! Had to request that the coffee, etc. in the room be replenished. Some of the bed linens had ink markings on them. Second telephone did not work properly. Would not stay there again until they update and repair. Did not meet Fairmont standards as we have been used to in the U.S. Quite a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered. This is certainly not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide at the Fairmont Winnipeg. Please be assured that your comments will be discussed with the relevant department heads to ensure that such situations do not reoccur in the future. I am also happy to note that we are currently conducting renovations in the hotel to improve our product. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your recent experience, and in turn, hopefully, to restore your confidence in our hotel. Please contact me at Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com so I might do so.
Dublin,Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Recently stayed at the Fairmont Winnipeg for a work event. Great location and staff were fantastic, very helpful and they have a lovely way with customers. It was the perfect hotel for a work trip and it did seem to focus on the corporate traveller. I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel or staying in it again, however if I was travelling with my family or for a romantic getaway I would choose another Winnipeg Hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments. As a hotel that caters to the corporate traveler, I am pleased you found it comfortable for your work trip. Being so close to some of the major convention center and downtown Winnipeg frequently makes us the top choice for business. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on what might convince you to stay as a family or if you were travelling as couple. Please feel free to contact me at Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com if you have any further comments in this regard. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Only a quick visit but all was good and efficient. Staff very attentive and courteous. Great beds for a good sleep. Very centrally located near the well know Portage and Main intersection. I''d definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Free Wifi for Fairmont President's club members.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments, Byren. It was our pleasure to have you and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and our fantastic beds!
Qualicum Beach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Winnipeg Fairmont probably a half dozen times over the years and have never had anything other than a first-class experience. Comfortable beds, good location, nice lounge and friendly helpful service.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We always appreciate receiving such positive feedback from a loyal guest. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent hotel stay. I am delighted to hear that you continue to receive excellent service. I do hope that you will continue to choose our hotel in the coming years, especially as we look forward to renovating our lobby, Fairmont Gold floor and main dining areas.
Warm regards,
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

First, the good points. The location is central, the staff were friendly and helpful, when prompted, and the gym and the pool were excellent. The steam room was outstanding. The bed was very comfortable.

Faint praise indeed. Here are the drawbacks from our visit in May 2014.

Check in was flustered and missing the level of service expected - apparently the hotel had been full (a conference) and there was only one person at the desk, even at 4:00 pm. President's Club membership didn't seem to make a difference.

The parking is not at all accessible, a fact not mentioned when the various options for car parking were explained at check-in. Each level of the parking lot requires about half a dozen steps to reach the elevator (located mid-level) - a surprise to us, and had we known (given the amount of luggage we had) we would have opted for valet parking. Further, access between the parking garage and the hotel requires a convoluted route down through a slightly sad underground mall, and up through a different elevator system. Not the end of the world, but not quick or convenient. Again, if explained at check-in, we would have opted for valet parking just on hassle alone.

Did I mention that the hotel itself is some sort of mid-century modern monstrosity? Not like other Canadian traditional historic CP Hotels in the Fairmont line. Quite disappointing. Perhaps I compare unfairly to the Empress, Chateau Laurier, Banff, etc.

The room was nothing particularly special, but perfectly acceptable. There was a nice rain shower but not a bath, which was a surprise. The products were very nicely chosen, although I had two conditioners and no shampoo in the room.

Finally, and I hesitate to mention this, but there were two bugs in the room, climbing up the curtains - I found and killed when were were getting ready to check out. I called the desk to report them, and a very nice person came up immediately and confirmed that they were some sort of beetle, and not bed bugs. I wasn't expecting anything, but I would have thought that they would have offered some sort of gesture such as a voucher, but nothing was offered for us as we were checking out. To her credit, she offered to switch our rooms, but didn't seem to know that that wasn't an option as we were packed and ready to go. I would have no idea if they were beetles or bugs, I am taking her at her word - which is why I hesitate mentioning it here. My criticism here is more about the service - not up to the usual Fairmont standard in my view. There should have been much more of an effort.

Next time I'm in town for business, I'd go back to the new Hampton Inn at the airport - better room, better value, better service. The 10 minute drive is worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review on your recent experience at our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies that the service was not up to the standard we are known for and attest to. Your comments have been shared with our management team and will addressed appropriately. I would love the opportunity to further discuss some of the issues you experienced. If you would like to e-mail me at Pascale.rocher@fairmont .com, it would be my pleasure to contact you at a convenient time and ensure these matters are resolved.
Executive Office

Been to The Fairmont Winnipeg? Share your experiences!