“Great location, but lacking the Fairmont chic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Winnipeg

You added The Fairmont Winnipeg to your Saves list
The Fairmont Winnipeg
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lombard Place, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 0Y3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location, but lacking the Fairmont chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Stayed here on business, with convention fare (130$). Hotel was quite full, so had to check in after 3PM. Check in was super courteous and friendly, cudos for the staff!

Got upgraded to an upper floor, room with a king bed. The room was nice if a bit tired and in need of a paint job. Big comfie bed, good sized bathroom with good toiletteries, LCD TV, free wi-fi (if your a member of Fairmont Club), great view.

The pool and gym were on the last floor. Gym was smallish but well equiped (2 old ellipticals without TV, 4 newer threadmills, weights). The pool was shallow, salt water, decent sized, but the hottub seemed like it was an aftertought, like the garden variety. Good steam room, very hot. Change room was a bit of a mess.

Didnt use the restaurants nor the parking. There is a connection to the underground system, with good restaurant selection. Again, at night, walk 5 minutes and your in "gangland".

A good hotel, but not what I expected from Fairmount.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reston, Manitoba
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Well when we called the reservation line, the lady proceeded to tell us that the Fiarmont is a 5 star/3 diamond property that offers luxary accomdations and excellant service; and that the rooms are fairly large, about 286 square feet.

After that lovely statement, we proceed to get average service at the front desk, good service at the valet parking...and then the room:
-Old stained carped worn bare
-The furniture is very very old, very worn, nicks scratched you name...so bad you would almost think they bought old furniture from a Motel 6 that was updating their funriute from the early 80's.
-Bathroom that still has the original fixtures from 1970 when the building was built, the bath tub surround is a 70's colour and cracked, asn the sink...well look at the picture!
- Rooms were not fairly large, which I knew when she said 286 square feet....the rooms are not cramped either.
-However beds were very comfortable!

The pool, well, same old pool from 1970! Not what you would expect in a Fairmont. The hot tub/spa, was unbelievably small! They did have a steam room that looked nice, but out of service.

I would imagine that the rooms on the 19th floor, the Gold floor; would be nice. But the regular rooms are below what standards Fairmont should have, I think roadside motels have better standards. Rooms would be ok if they were just updated a bit; but even then not what a Fairmont self claiming 5 star property should offer. (which might be why the hotel is on the market). Lobby is run down too, and dirty!

I have read other reviews for other Fairmont properties...it seems that a new general consensus is that Fairmont properties are being run down. I personally think that they are using their Canadian properties like cash cows and taking everything they can and not putting anything back just so the Saudi Prince can build his new fancy middle east hotels. I also think it's a shame that some of our Grand historic hotels in this country that are an important part of the railroad history are not even owned by local Canadian corporations anymore. (Fairmont winnipeg was not a railroad property, it's the former Winnipeg Inn built in 1970 by the Richardson family; I would be refering to the Banff Spinrgs, Lake Louise, etc...)

I can not reccomend this hotel, there is no value, we even booked through Fairmont's Winter Special for 20% off and felt that we didn't recieve value for our dollar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Winnipeg, MB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

If you want a plain old hotel room in a safe part of downtown Winnipeg, and you get a deal on it (so less than $100/night) I would suggest this hotel to you. I had a non-renovated room (could've upgraded for a fee, of course....) and it was clean but worn. Nice location if you're going to be spending the evening in the exchange district.

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Bowmanville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Very nice hotel, I was fortunate to have access to the Fairmont Gold, I believe it was called. Had a lovely breakfast in the mornings, and snacks through the day. Excellent pool facilities, nice hot tub. The rooms were lovely and comfortable, excellent HD tv. Loved the business centre where I could print off all of my needed documents for work.
Would stay again. Staff very friendly and helpful. Had room service entree, and loved the beautiful cart and meal.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Beds were doubles, but they were the most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept on. They sagged terribly in the middle and my husband and I had difficulty getting a good nights' sleep. We were exhausted after our three-day stay. Also, the carpet and bedding were both stained and old-looking and our in-room coffee was never refreshed the whole time we were there. Not something we would expect from a Fairmont chain. The positive is that it is in an excellent location right downtown and all the staff were very friendly and professional.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
TFWExecutiveOffice, Manager at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your sharing your experience. We recently upgraded our entire hotel with luxurious pillow top mattresses, however, in this instance I am sorry to learn of the discomfort encountered. I would certainly like to address the concern at hand in more detail with you. At your convenience, please contact me at 204-985-6204 to further discuss.

Melissa Vogt, Executive Assistant, The Fairmont Winnipeg
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010 via mobile

But we were there on a Friday night, so all but a few places were closed. Rooms have been updated, with big flat panel tvs, plenty of power outlets, and free wi-fi for President Club members (join!). Free Internet in lobby business center. My room was next to elevator so not ideal. Restaurant very pricey, but bar also has food available.

• Stayed October 2010
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I have always had excellent experiences with Fairmont hotels in the past, so I was very surprised and disappointed with the quality of the hotel and with the service I received at Fairmont Winnipeg on Labor Day weekend. The hotel itself was very run-down and everything in our room seemed to be falling apart. (To be fair, one of the hotel employees did tell me at checkout that they are undergoing a remodel now/in the very near future.) The service left much to be desired. We were kept waiting for our room, even though we were checking in after 3, we weren't called when the room was ready, a gift-bag that was supposed to arrive in our room (gift for out-of-towners for the wedding we were attending) arrived late... basically the staff seemed very disorganized and all my inquiries were met with blank looks. I wrote an email to the manager of the hotel to let them know about my experience, and I was sent a letter granting me a free night's stay at the hotel. I appreciate the gesture, but I don't think I'll be coming back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Winnipeg? Share your experiences!