“Great hotel at an affordable price” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Manila
“Great hotel at an affordable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Since Winnipeg has a large Filipino Community and that includes my family and most relatives who's staying there for good. I just came from the Philippines and was invited for a family wedding and since the ceremony was done near Quality Inn & Suites our host decided to let us stay there and enjoy and relax for a few days since the wedding was scheduled to be done in a couple of days because of the many preparations involved. So me and my family as well as my other relatives such as my nieces and nephews enjoyed our stay because of its newly renovated theme rooms which we find neat and unique. We also find the Winn City Pub entertaining since we love to play billiards and it's nice to know that we could choose any type of activity that we wanted to play they even have golf simulators. The hotel is not that bad as what other have said. The location is great too since it is near St. Vital shopping mall when we want to take a stroll to the mall it's very convenient. It's also close to the University of Manitoba for a "Bisons" ( the football team) football game. The place Seemed to be centrally located. Not even that far from the Winnipeg downtown tourist areas and the Winnipeg Forks area. So I would give the hotel a thumbs up sign for the great ammenities at an affordable price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I am a Choice Privileges member, and I stay frequently at a lot of Choice Hotels. For the most part, I really enjoy my stays. With this one, however, I am extremely disgusted by the way the room service staff at this hotel treated us as "guests". We checked in on Saturday, July 11 and decided to order room service after a very exhausting day. We called room service and ordered a small pizza with mushrooms and italian sausage and also an order of calamari. Simpe enough! The individual who took our order was very rude and abrupt; he sounded as if we were bothering him as we placed our order. We didn't make a big fuss about that as we were really hungry and just wanted our food. It came about half an hour later. We were asked to sign a piece of paper with handwritten notes and were told that that was our bill. When we asked for a receipt, the guy said we pay at the front desk. We were aware that we have to pay at the front desk at check-out, but I also believe we should have been given a receipt for our own record. To make matters worse, we then realized that they made us a pizza with only mushrooms in it! That’s not what we ordered! So we called room service again to inquire as to why they didn't put italian sausage as we had asked. The same rude guy answers the phone and says, "Well we don't have italian sausage right now". If that's the case, why didn't they call us to let us know of this fact, and maybe let us know what they have OR offer other options????? The guys couldn't give us an answer. So basically they just went ahead and made a half-assed pizza that we didn't even order, either hoping that we don't notice OR just settle for it anyway!!! We asked for a refund and all the guy said was "yup" in a very condascending manner. He was so arrogant; no customer service skills whatsoever. He shouldn't be working at a hotel if guests ordering food annoy him! He didn't seem to care that us customers were actually willing to shell out $10 for a little pizza! At least get the order right, or have some respect to let us know otherwise!! We were left starving at this point, and we ended up getting McDonald's across the street. We were treated better there, at a fraction of a cost.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kelowna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Great Hotel, Excellent service and very comfortable rooms. Would
stay again anytime.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2007

My husband and I decided to stay in one of their "theme suites" for a little get away. What a mistake. The "theme" room cost $169.00 and had no theme at all. The bed was small and very old, the room was small and dingy! There was a little old tv in the corner. The hot tub was okay but loud. To make it better we were woken up at 7 am the next morning to construction they were doing on the building. We were on the 2nd floor and the force of the jackhammer was shaking the water in the hot tub...who needs jets! Needless to say the late check out was a waste b/c we packed up and left at 8 am.. how can you relax to that! The front dest did nothing when we mentioned how upset we were with the stay. I also phoned the manager at that location and left a message explaining how dissapoined we were, and that the front desk should warn guests about the construction. Although I left my number she NEVER called back. My husband and I have stayed at hotels all over the world and not one has been as bad as this one. NEVER again will we stay at a quality inn. The Quality Inn should really invest a little more in who they hire as managers.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
crystalpistol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

me and my boyfriend went for an early valentines day getaway, and the room was nice.. but the heater was wonky and we'd wake up every few hours to have to turn it from cold to hot, hot to cold, etc.. and the blanket on the bed was simply a fleece blanket, that which you usually find underneath a bigger blanket..so we had to call downstairs for another one.. it came fast though.. and the complimentary breakfast isnt anything crazy, just some scrambled eggs, toast, bacon or sausage.. but if your looking for something nice and cheap, it works, its not the ritz carlton though!

• Liked — The service was fast and helpful.. nice bar in lobby..
  • Disliked — The free breakfast..
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

We stayed at the Quality Inn during Grey Cup week November 2006. Needless to say we ran into problems before even arriving in Winnipeg. About a month before going i noticed a charge on my credit card for what looked like the amount of this room. I booked it about 8 months ago and used my card to secure the room as per usual. I did notice a 30 day cancellation policy when i booked. I called the hotel and proceeded to be lectured by the manager that because there were so many people arriving for Grey Cup week they decided to charge everyone for the full amount 30 days beforehand to reduce the amount of people having to wait to check in. They said this was what every hotel in Winnipeg was doing and it was normal practice when a city hosts a Grey Cup. She got very defensive when i told her this was my 10th Grey Cup trip and had never heard of this ridiculous policy. It seems like an excuse to charge you and get their money as soon as they could. Especially since there are only 70 rooms in the whole hotel. Its not like it is the MGM Grand with 5000 rooms.

On to the stay:
The room was tiny but clean. The bed was old and not too comfortable. Bathroom was small but the shower had great water pressure. Ceilings in the room and in the hall were cracked and there were electrical wires sticking out of the walls/ceilings in some parts of the hall. Overall impression of the room is it was about the same quality as a lower end budget chain (ie: Travelodge, Hojo)
A major complaint was how slow the elevator was. We sometimes had to wait 5 minutes for it to come. There are only 4 floors in the whole hotel. it would be different if this were a 30 floor hotel. There is no service elevator so the staff have to use the same one as the guests. Its really nice to have to squeeze on a tiny elevator with a housekeeper pushing a huge cart. When i decided to take the stairs they led to an exit that spit you out to the back parking lot of the hotel. Really classy.
Every day they slid vouchers for the complimentary "made to order" breakfast under your door. Looking forward to this, my wife and I went to the restaurant the next morning. When we sat down the waitress informed us that "because of the Grey Cup" they have a special menu. She told our "made to order" breakfast came with hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, a choice of bacon or sausage, and white or wheat toast. No omelettes, no over easy, sunny side up, just scrambled. No choice other than bacon or sausage. So we ordered, and she went around the corner and came back less than a minute later with our "made to order" breakfast. No word of a lie, less than one minute. The eggs were cold and rubbery, the sausage was cold and leathery, and the toast was cold and soggy. The only way this breakfast was made to order was if they made it when i booked the room in April. It doesnt really matter to me if a hotel offers a free breakfast. But dont advertise one and then make it so nasty you dont want to eat it. We ended up going across the street for breakfast the rest of our stay.
The hotel is located on the outskirts of Winnipeg on Pembina Highway, NOT near the Convention Centre. a 10-15 dollar cab ride to downtown in a place like Winnipeg is not what i call central. Cabs sometimes took 45 minutes to an hour to even show up because there are no other hotels in the area where people we being dropped off. Oh and the response we got from the front desk about this was "Its because of Grey Cup week". sounds like a common theme/excuse.
We paid almost $170/night US for this room and left highly dissapointed. We felt like the hotel used Grey Cup week as an excuse to take advantage of people coming to town for the game. A major event in your town is no excuse to rip off your guests and provide poor service.
We will NEVER stay at another Quality Inn again, especially this one.

• Liked — Staff were friendly for the most part
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!