“Close to MTS Centre” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Close to MTS Centre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Hotel had great food and nice selection. Being located in the very downtown section of Winnipeg it did have quiet a lot of homeless people outside and inside the hotel. Being 5 minutes from MTS was worth the location, price fairly high at $100 for a room that hadn't been updated since the 1970's! But it was fun to laugh at this quiet interesting journey. We have stayed all over the world and this one was tops in regard to "boy the pictures on the internet were very misleading." TV was from same era. Read with interest that the hotel was taken over in 2013 and hopes were they would renovate - obviously decided to save their money. Smoke smell was prevalent all over the hotel, but elevator had the most.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Although this hotel is located in downtown Winnipeg I really think at $92 a night after tax is overpriced for this hotel

The first thing that got to me was when the cab driver suggested I grab my Timmies soon, as I did not want to be outside once the sun went down.... Then when I checked in and received the key card there is a notice the hotel rents steering wheel locks...

Now this hotel is surrounded by other higher level hotels and they would all have the same problem so I didn't hold it against this place...

What I didn't like about this place was the small dark rooms, windows with sheer curtains that look into other hotel rooms...
An old CRT television with very basic cable and so much snow on the television I could barely make out the images...

There is a coffee maker and fridge in the room but no microwave. They also charge you $2.00 if you want more coffee packs... They charge a fee for local and toll free numbers...

I am a smoker and got a smoking room. There was no real stale smoke smell to complain about but pretty much everything that had a ledge has a cigarette burn mark. The burn marks made feel a little uncomfortable as it made me think how careless the guests have been and how easy it would be for someone to fall asleep and set the place ablaze....

Now with that said I will give the staff high marks as they were very helpful. But I'm sorry to say this is a hotel I will never stay at again

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

After reading some of the reviews i expected to be propositioned on the doorstep, fight my way past the drunks outside and then be insulted by the reception staff. Actually it wasn't that bad though to be honest i wouldn't choose it again. The St Regis is a low cost hotel with most of the guests there for medical visits. My room was non smoking but the entire hotel reeked of cigarrette smoke and no matter what i sprayed i couldn't get rid of the smell. The road outside does seem a little dangerous with i was fine and had no problem, the hotel does have security staff working at night. The hotel is being taken over in 2013 and renovated apparently so it may be a lot different in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
muswellbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Whilst this hotel was not the newest kid on the block it provided everything we were looking for. We were in Winnipeg to visit my son at Uni and the St Regis provided comfort, convenience and value for money. The loung room and kitchen were more than adequate, even down to the coffee machine and pods. The 2 very large beds and the tub in the bathroom were much appreciated. It was conveniently situated close to major bus stops, which we used regularly as they were clean and cheap. We were walking distance from the Forkes ( a great tourist spot) and numerous great eating and watering holes. Yes, the carpet was a bit shabby near the guest laundry and the area was a little uncomfortable after dark but we walked together and had NO trouble whatsoever.

Room Tip: We chose a corner suite and I would recommend a couple of floors up as we were on the 6th and it was...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

On arrival there was an ambulance and police outside, but we could not tell if they were there for someone from the hotel, we later found out they were. The lobby was full of people and was chaotic. The feel of the hotel was uncomfortable boarding on dangerous. When we arrived in our room it smelt of cigarettes and the room information stated that we should not leave valuables in the room and also suggested that we call reception if we heard anything worrying or if someone knocked on our door.

We stayed here due to a lack of other accommodation in Winnipeg and thought for just under $100 CAD we should be ok, we were so wrong. There was noise outside until early in the morning and there was banging and shouting in the corridor outside the room.

On the positive side it had free Wifi and the staff were friendly towards us. However this would not entice us back to either Winnipeg or the St Regis.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
thunder bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I stayed at "The Regis" in Winnipeg for the first time, ever, this week (Nov 12, 2008). I was there for three nights, and felt like I was on a roller coaster ride the entire time. It starts when you get to the front door: there were usually a bunch of drunk people pushing, shoving, yelling, looking a bit dangerous. Then the security guard gives you a distrusting look, and you run by on your way to the elevator. Watch out for the people sitting on the couch in the lobby at all hours of the day/night - some are gentle, while I felt that others might jump you.

Once in the elevator I felt safe for a few moments. Though I didnt have any trouble when I got to my floor, I worried from time to time that if I were to be shanked anywhere, it would be just as I was coming out of the elevator where no one would hear me scream.

My room was decent, I have to admit. I was on the fourth floor, and didnt hear any partying, though my friend on the third floor didnt get any sleep for three nights because of loud, boozing, arguing neighbours. I woke up at 4 a.m. on the first night because I thought I heard someone picking my door lock with a knife - after stumbling around for two minutes in the dark, I found out it was just a loud old water radiator bubbling away.

Though 'The Regis' is definitely wild and wooly, and probably not totally safe, it was comparable to mid-range hotels I’ve stayed at in Russia. I dont know if this is a good comparison or not...

I'm giving 'The Regis' a two-out-of-five because its right down-town, my room was clean and I felt safe once in it. However, this could have easily gone the other way if I was in a room next to partiers, or if I was stabbed by one of the three guys I saw walking around the corridors with a knife/shank.

Stayed November 2008
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

The only nice thing about this hotel is its location. Me and 4 friends were in Winnipeg for the Elton John Concert so I unknowingly picked The St. Regis for its location. Big Mistake!Drunk and stoned Native Americans littered the street and lobby. There was a hooker greeting us as well. The front desk guy was totally clueless. I booked 2 non-smoking rooms and they only had 1 room available at the time we checked in(6:00PM). We got to our room and one of my freinds gagged because the room stunk so bad and it was a smoking room. The place didnt look like it had had any upgrades for many, many years. The surface of everything was clean but if you looked close it was filthy. The Box springs were at least 40 years old. Stained and broken. The phone didnt work. The blankets were riddled with burn holes as well as the chairs and carpet. There was broken glass in the hallway and it was very noisy. The door looked like it had been broken into a few times. There was an Octopus of electrical cords all going into the same outlet. My friends and I were all very discusted and scared so at Midnight we got in our car and drove 3 and 1/2 hours home. Before we left I went to talk to the fella that checked us in and told him of our complaints and all I wanted was for him to refund me for 1 room. He did so that was nice of him I thought. Everything else was a nightmare.

Tamala Smithers

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The drunk and stoned people tha were all over the street and in the lobby
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to St. Regis Hotel? Share your experiences!