“Best Avoided” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Birmingham
“Best Avoided”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

After reading some of the reviews i expected to be propositioned on the doorstep, fight my way past the drunks outside and then be insulted by the reception staff. Actually it wasn't that bad though to be honest i wouldn't choose it again. The St Regis is a low cost hotel with most of the guests there for medical visits. My room was non smoking but the entire hotel reeked of cigarrette smoke and no matter what i sprayed i couldn't get rid of the smell. The road outside does seem a little dangerous with i was fine and had no problem, the hotel does have security staff working at night. The hotel is being taken over in 2013 and renovated apparently so it may be a lot different in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
muswellbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Whilst this hotel was not the newest kid on the block it provided everything we were looking for. We were in Winnipeg to visit my son at Uni and the St Regis provided comfort, convenience and value for money. The loung room and kitchen were more than adequate, even down to the coffee machine and pods. The 2 very large beds and the tub in the bathroom were much appreciated. It was conveniently situated close to major bus stops, which we used regularly as they were clean and cheap. We were walking distance from the Forkes ( a great tourist spot) and numerous great eating and watering holes. Yes, the carpet was a bit shabby near the guest laundry and the area was a little uncomfortable after dark but we walked together and had NO trouble whatsoever.

Room Tip: We chose a corner suite and I would recommend a couple of floors up as we were on the 6th and it was...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

On arrival there was an ambulance and police outside, but we could not tell if they were there for someone from the hotel, we later found out they were. The lobby was full of people and was chaotic. The feel of the hotel was uncomfortable boarding on dangerous. When we arrived in our room it smelt of cigarettes and the room information stated that we should not leave valuables in the room and also suggested that we call reception if we heard anything worrying or if someone knocked on our door.

We stayed here due to a lack of other accommodation in Winnipeg and thought for just under $100 CAD we should be ok, we were so wrong. There was noise outside until early in the morning and there was banging and shouting in the corridor outside the room.

On the positive side it had free Wifi and the staff were friendly towards us. However this would not entice us back to either Winnipeg or the St Regis.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
thunder bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I stayed at "The Regis" in Winnipeg for the first time, ever, this week (Nov 12, 2008). I was there for three nights, and felt like I was on a roller coaster ride the entire time. It starts when you get to the front door: there were usually a bunch of drunk people pushing, shoving, yelling, looking a bit dangerous. Then the security guard gives you a distrusting look, and you run by on your way to the elevator. Watch out for the people sitting on the couch in the lobby at all hours of the day/night - some are gentle, while I felt that others might jump you.

Once in the elevator I felt safe for a few moments. Though I didnt have any trouble when I got to my floor, I worried from time to time that if I were to be shanked anywhere, it would be just as I was coming out of the elevator where no one would hear me scream.

My room was decent, I have to admit. I was on the fourth floor, and didnt hear any partying, though my friend on the third floor didnt get any sleep for three nights because of loud, boozing, arguing neighbours. I woke up at 4 a.m. on the first night because I thought I heard someone picking my door lock with a knife - after stumbling around for two minutes in the dark, I found out it was just a loud old water radiator bubbling away.

Though 'The Regis' is definitely wild and wooly, and probably not totally safe, it was comparable to mid-range hotels I’ve stayed at in Russia. I dont know if this is a good comparison or not...

I'm giving 'The Regis' a two-out-of-five because its right down-town, my room was clean and I felt safe once in it. However, this could have easily gone the other way if I was in a room next to partiers, or if I was stabbed by one of the three guys I saw walking around the corridors with a knife/shank.

Stayed November 2008
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

The only nice thing about this hotel is its location. Me and 4 friends were in Winnipeg for the Elton John Concert so I unknowingly picked The St. Regis for its location. Big Mistake!Drunk and stoned Native Americans littered the street and lobby. There was a hooker greeting us as well. The front desk guy was totally clueless. I booked 2 non-smoking rooms and they only had 1 room available at the time we checked in(6:00PM). We got to our room and one of my freinds gagged because the room stunk so bad and it was a smoking room. The place didnt look like it had had any upgrades for many, many years. The surface of everything was clean but if you looked close it was filthy. The Box springs were at least 40 years old. Stained and broken. The phone didnt work. The blankets were riddled with burn holes as well as the chairs and carpet. There was broken glass in the hallway and it was very noisy. The door looked like it had been broken into a few times. There was an Octopus of electrical cords all going into the same outlet. My friends and I were all very discusted and scared so at Midnight we got in our car and drove 3 and 1/2 hours home. Before we left I went to talk to the fella that checked us in and told him of our complaints and all I wanted was for him to refund me for 1 room. He did so that was nice of him I thought. Everything else was a nightmare.

Tamala Smithers

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The drunk and stoned people tha were all over the street and in the lobby
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dolphin_smile
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

My son and I visited Winnipeg for the first time so we never knew what we were getting ourselves into when we booked the hotel. When we arrived we couldn't get through the front door - it was being blocked by a bunch of drunks, that made me very uncomfortable, and didn't like my son seeing that either.
After we checked in - we went to our room - the hallways smelled of urine, and were very dirty.
Then when we got our room - we asked for a non-smoking, but it was very clear that it was not obeyed, the room / furniture / walls smelt very bad of smoke, the blinds were yellow.
The front desk wasn't very helpful with directions or bus services etc.
Then if you have a car - and park it in their parking lot - they will block it with other vehicles over night - so you can't get out in the morning.
If you plan on getting any sleep - forget it - there is no noise by-law in this hotel - they party all night long. We got 2 hours sleep on the last night.
There is no safe in the rooms, and on one occassion - we returned to our room, only to find the door unlocked and open. Thankfully nothing was missing as we took anything of value with us. The key cards NEVER worked - we had to go to front desk many times to get them to reactivate.
Over all - we feared for our safety everytime we left/ came in, were hassled by drunks every time (unfortunetly we stayed for 3 nights). The last night they were so drunk that they were throwing up right by the entrance.
We were made to feel very unwelcome!
I am writing this not to discriminate against anyone - but to save another family from the same experience.
This left a very bad sour taste - I honestly can say I didn't not enjoy Winnipeg - and will not be returning anytime soon.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Been hassled by drunks everytime we entered or left the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

As always, my stay always gets better. Being in the heart of downtown
Winnipeg, parking is not a problem at the St. Regis as parking is offered on site for a minimal daily charge. From the moment of arrival, the friendly front desk staff assure a hassle-free check-in and check-out. The rooms are equipped with large screen T.V.'s, neon lighting signs that you see in taverns, bars, etc. and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The house keepers are at your service as is the bar tenders, and restaurant staff (all in the same hotel/
motel). In all, I frequent this establishment and have never had a bad experience. The St. Regis is located within walking distance to most amenities and there's always taxis outside the St. Regis to take you to where you have to go. The price for a night is well within reason and you can be assured top level accommodations and a "bang for your buck." I will continue to make the St. Regis the only place to stay when I travel overnight to Winnipeg.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — no problems thus far
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to St. Regis Hotel? Share your experiences!