“Nice for a long stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Montreal, Canada
“Nice for a long stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had to stay in Winnipeg for 2 weeks in February and I booked at PLR... great idea! I had the smaller room but there still plenty on space I even have place to do my workout without moving the furnitures. The kitchen is equipped but bring your knife with you to be able to cook nice meal.

I do not recommend the restaurant in the hotel, not really good but the Lobby on York (fancy) and the Mitsvi's (not fancy but really good) are very close.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3 and 5th floor because the 4th is for maintenance floor and can be a little bit loud.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip for a few days. It's modern, safe, and a beautiful room (I stayed in a King business suite.) Front desk friendly, room service efficient,. Nothing professional just friendly.

The problem was cleanliness, which to me is #1 at a hotel. On the first day, I found four hairs in the bed. The next day, after room service "cleaned" the suite, I found another collection of hair around the room -- what looked like both men's and women's. In the sheets, in the bathroom, on the floor. I have never stayed at a so-called "premium" hotel where that's happened.

The sheets smelled unwashed from day one and each pillow was a different shade of pale yellow from what I assume is people's sweat. Needless to say, I wore full length sweatshirt and pants when sleeping and thoroughly examined the bed before sleeping each night. The final thing is allergies -- don't stay here if you have any allergies to dust or mold. It smells like mold in the bathroom and kitchen, and every night I had red eyes and a runny nose. Since I couldn't find any dust, I'm assuming mold. Either way, gross.

Despite how modern the suite is and what it's trying to be, hotel is not there yet. I'll be staying at the Fairmont next time, where I was for a conference during the day and seemed perfect (concierge professional, hails cabs which are hard to find in Winnipeg, and is a respected chain that would never stand for the kind of stuff I found at the Louis Riel.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevator, stairs, and check your bed before sleeping in it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
John_Saad, Guest Relations Manager at Place Louis Riel Suite Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy that you, like many of our guests also enjoyed the modern, safe and large All-suite rooms we have to offer. We agree, and are proud of our friendly and efficient staff.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. To bring some clarity on the cleanliness of the sheets, we send our linens to Winnipeg’s largest laundering service provider and have high standards to the products they return. We very rarely have any issues and apologize that your room was not up to our standard of cleanliness. We have addressed this issue with the cleaning facility and our Housekeeping department to ensure that an instance like this does not occur in the future. We truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed.

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and have the chance to speak to you directly, so please ask for me. Please feel free to email me at ekeen.saad@placelouisriel.com
We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Ekeen Saad | Guest Experience Leader
Brandon, MB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite at no additional cost because it was our first time staying at the hotel. Rooms are very modern with a furnished kitchenette and comfy couch and lounge chair... Bed was very comfortable. Hotel location is within walking distance from the MTS centre. Will stay again.

• Stayed February 2013
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a first rate hotel in many ways. Very friendly staff, very nice and quiet rooms, a great location, and each room comes with a kitchen. No pool, but a great view of Winnipeg from the upper floors. Showers work well, and there is plenty of hot water. Will certainly stay there again when I am in Winnipeg.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Riverton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I had to go to Winnipeg and stay for two nights this week ,so after reviewing on trip advisor we chose P.L.R,The room was very nice we had a studio suite ,we found it to be amazingly quiet since we were only on the tenth floor and coming from the country noise is usually a problem we notice right away.Over all the hotel was clean the front desk service was excellent and very friendly ,The first night all our necessity were there like soap,shampoo,towels and coffee but after the maid cleaned the room I had to ask for coffee to be brought up and the next morning discovered that there was no soap or any shampoo or conditioner for me to shower,not impressed
The other complaint we have is both of us tried the breakfast buffet ,we both felt that it was over priced for what was available,no fruit jam's on the table poor service and cold food

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was my first time in Winnipeg and my job booked the hotel for one night. When. I arrived to the hotel, it looked like an apartment building, the lobby was small and stains of melted dirty snow on the floor. I was already thinking that the rooms were small and dated. I did see security patrolling the lobby so I felt safe.

When I opened the door to my room to my surprise it was a nice and spacious suite. It was approx 750 to 800sq feet one bedroom apartment. The living and kitchen ( not Kitchenet) was in one big space. The living room had leather couches which were very comfortable. The kitchen had a fridge, range and sink. In addition to plates, silverware, glasses, toaste and kettle.

There was plenty if closets space . The bathroom had limited counter space but quite a large tub (and higher than normal too). The shower head was amazing. The towels were soft and they actually provided an actual bath towel!!! And normal hairdryer instead if the ones mounted in the wall

The bedroom had a king size bed which was very comfortable. I actually thought it was a California king bed due to the large bed and still space available in the bedroom. The only thing that I was disappointed was te size of the TV in the bedroom. It was ab16 inch tv. It wa kind of funny to see the large bed and compare it to the ridiculous tv.

It was nice to have a room, suite, with all the amenities needed, specially in the kitchen. I'll definitely come backand this time will stay longer.

• Stayed December 2012
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Made the reservation on line and got a very good price for a king corner suite. It had a separate bedroom and living area with well-stocked kitchen. Great flat screen tv in main living area and much smaller one in the bedroom. Bed was super comfortable and room was very quiet. I stayed on the 22nd floor and it was fantastic. Front desk staff were great. Room was spotless. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: choose a king corner suite. They are as far away from elevators as you can get and very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Place Louis Riel Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!