“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Fort Frances, Canada
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly and so was the staff and the on-site restaurant. It was a very nice hotel with a great room. They had private indoor parking so that was nice since this is downtown. The only downside was that they didn't have a pool on site.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I was recently in Winnipeg for 3 days, 2 nights for some medical tests and decided to give the Louis Riel a try. I received a very reasonable CAA price and was even happier once I got into my room. The renovations they have done were well done and the rooms are very comfortable. I had the smallest room, the Studio Suite which did not seem small at all. The nice open concept made it very comfortable. The king size bed was comfortable with soft sheets and the kitchenette was well equipped with stove, fridge, microwave and dishes and pots and pans. Was nice to be able to cook some of my own meals.

The staff were very friendly and were quick to answer any questions. Parking, while not free was a modest $11 per day for hotel guests with in and out privileges. My only advice is to park on level B or D so you have easy access to the elevators. You just have to press the intercom button to get buzzed in by the front desk. Also, watch out carefully for the parked entrance. It is small and easy to miss.

Four star stay for the same price as much less desirable hotels in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel the next couple of nights. The arrival and check-in were fast and easy as well as great pleasantries from the gentleman at the desk.

There is free bottled water in the room, free coffee and tea, free wireless internet. The hotel has been entirely renovated and re-furnished. My suite is very well equipped and the kitchen even has a full size stove and a microwave oven. The decor is modern and comfortable. My bed is very comfortable and the single thermostat besides being easy to use really kept the room comfortable to my liking.

The restaurant, The Ground Floor was quite good and the prices were well below what I normally experience in a hotel restaurant. Last night's dinner I had the creamy fettuccini with chicken, a Mediterranean salad and a bottle of Coors light and my bill was slightly less than $28. This morning I had the buffet breakfast for only $9.95 and could choose anything from the hot and cold buffet. the food is good, service is good and prices are right!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Kenora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Very good experience at this Hotel. Stayed in a Suite with daughter and friends. Nice separate room with updated comfy beds.
Room had separate living area with full kitchenette Large fridge, and stove, marble counters, eating bar and full size dining table for 4.
The living room area had full size pullout couch in leather and leather chair with ottoman.
Flat screen tv on wall and desk.
Should have taken advantage of the room and ate meals right there just for cost wise.
All staff was friendly and polite.
A real home away from home feeling in a big city. Centered in Downtown we were able to walk to many places.

Room Tip: rooms were quiet, upper floors have great view of city at night, make good use of the suite as it ha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Oveall I enjoyed the hotel, good service. Our room wasn't ready when arrived, but that was solved with an upgrade (always nice). Awkward getting to lobby when first arrive, unclear where to go and no front temporary lobby parking space, so ended up hauling suitcases down a flight of stairs to be confronted with lock door (fortunately someone was coming out). Can't access elevator as need key (kind of catch 22). Other than mostly good. Room was clean, quite spacious and mostly renovated, although carpet old. Buffet breakfast was good deal, good food and good service. Parking spaces are quite tight. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Winnipeg, MB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I recently worked with PLR to host a national conference with over 100 attendees. The staff and management worked diligently to assist us in preparations, as well as addressing situations which arose during the conference. The hotel rooms were vary spacious, beds comfortable, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. I would recommend PLR to anyone who is looking for a hotel with great staff, a beautiful updated contemporary look, and a location close to downtown.

Room Tip: Corner suites are absolutely beautiful, however, most rooms on the higher floors have a great view o...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Portage la Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I booked a room in October for a reason, so that i would have a room when i got there. I work in a hotel & all rooms are ready for 3, any room blocks are automatically taken care of as soon as the previous person is out of the room.

We arrived at 3 to check in & drop our stuff off, they told us they had overbooked & our room was not ready yet, that they only had 2 rooms available as they had a lot of stayovers.

I know in my system all reservations come up in the middle of the night & rooms are assigned at 3 am, when one has been previously booked it can not be booked again so i can't figure out why they said they were overbooked & did not have a room ready.

I was not impressed as we had carried our luggage all that way & we were expecting a place for my friend to rest, she had worked all night & was going on very little sleep.

She radio'd housekeeping & said she would get them right on it. She did not care that we were put out at all, she had the attitude of too bad so sad, that did not impress me. You would think for a finer hotel like that they would have top notch staff.

We came back at 4:30 & we were told they still did not have a room for us. At that point i was going to tell them to book me a room at another hotel on their dime that is just as nice as the room i booked as i paid for a room from 3pm-12pm.

We settled for a king size room & shared a bed just so we could get into a suite. She gave me an extra hour to check out but that did me no good as we were actually checking out at 11 & did not need an extra hour.

Once we got into a room it was lovely, the quality of furniture was awesome. It was very clean. I was impressed with the room. I am very fair with my reviews & if you impress me i will do everything i can to let people know, but when you treat your customers like they are nothing i will let everyone know as well.

Room Tip: Avoid the west side in the winter, snow plows are very loud.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
John_Saad, General Manager at Place Louis Riel Suite Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
SweetCanadian,

I would like to thank for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms. Over the coming months there are more exciting changes coming to our hotel to help improve our guests stay. With regard to the service you received during your stay, it was disappointing to hear that we had failed to deliver top notch service that is mandated at our front desk at all times. I can assure you your comments were reviewed with the entire management team and action plans will be created to avoid a repeat of what you encountered. If your travels bring you back to the Winnipeg area I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to show you our true colors when it comes to service. My email address is john.saad@placelouisriel.com

Yours Truly,

John Saad
Place Louis Riel Suite Hotel

Been to Place Louis Riel Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!