“hockey tournament” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Thunder Bay
“hockey tournament”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Location very good, Safeways just across the street. Parking lot the the greatest but did have covered parking.Hotel was clean , very accommadating ,rooms needed updating but clean. Restaurant buffet very good, great selection for everyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We take great pride in offering comfortable, clean accommodations, great food and friendly Manitoba service to all of our guests. Your comment regarding the parking is well taken, we do have a good number of "pillar free" parking spaces on the ground level for larger vehicles and lots of open space on the third level of the parkade for standard size cars and vans. You may also be glad to hear that we will be uprading all the facilities at the hotel over the next few months, starting with the guest rooms in September. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South in the near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Asheboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Pretty nice during our stay. Took a weekend trip from North Dakota needed a place to stay when we had no reservations. Nice location and easy to get to stuff around the surrounding area. High traffic area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our city.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The majority of the Holiday Inns' that I've been to in the last year have been pretty decent. However, this particular one was a let down. Let me say this, just because you have placed flat screen televisions in your rooms, it does not mean anything if the rest of the room was left with the prehistoric decor. The beds were uncomfortable. The shower was dated, as well as the rest of the bathroom. The hallways are seriously in need of some TLC. And, that gym (which is the most important thing to me in a hotel) is absolutely horrific. The machines are dates and somewhat faulty. In addition, the space is extremely cramped. Overall, I was glad that I got it for cheap with a Priceline express deal!

I don't think I would do this again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We certainly appreciate your comments.

We are just now embarking on a complete renovation and refurbishment of our property which will be completed over the new few months and will touch on all of the areas you mentioned and more. We are confident that you will be pleased with the results.

We were, nevertheless, very concerned to learn that your stay with us was such a disappointment. Despite the age of some of our amenities, we do make every effort to provide a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all our guests in a clean, well maintained and friendly environment. I would be very pleased to discuss your concerns further with you, if you would be so kind as to call me at
(204) 452-4747. Thank you.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed here with my mother and my children while I was in visiting her in the city. The room was very clean, but quite cold when we entered. I've noticed this about a few of my past hotel stays in Winnipeg recently (all at Holiday Inn's), but not a big deal as you can change the temperature quickly. Check in was quick and the front desk staff were very efficient and friendly. We utilized the pool area, and the water was very warm, which my kids were very happy about! There is a tiny play area off behind the pool with a plastic play house and little table for activities.

One thing I did notice, which does not make or break our stay, but that I would love to see offered at this hotel, would be a small selection of life jackets for younger children. There is a kiddie pool, but the big pool is such a temptation for older kids. Thankfully I had brought my own to this hotel, so our kids were able to play about in the big pool safely. This would be an awesome perk for this hotel so we don't have to bring our own along.

Breakfast in the morning was fantastic. I am always pleased by the offering's provided by Holiday Inn restaurants, and this is no exception. The food was also out very quick, which is such a great thing when dining with three young children.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I have shared them with our team. We were all very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us. Your point regarding the life jackets is well taken. We will look into this. Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South again in the near future.

Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I didn't know what I was going to say about this hotel. Some things I really liked, and some things I hated. The longer we stayed, the harder it was to decide if I would stay here again.

The room: very old looking and definitely in need of a renovation. The beds were comfortable enough but the comforter was soooo loud! All you hear at night is SWISH SWISH SWISH.
They give you a fridge in the room, which is great. And we thought that it was the quietest hotel we had ever stayed in.

Housekeeping: staff was unbelievably great. They were very diligent in cleaning the room and even made me sign something when I declined cleaning. They really look after you that way.

The restaurant: I had a burger which was good, I liked the fries too. I thought it was pricey and only ate there once. Again, very old and worn looking furniture in desperate need of a reno. No continental breakfast which was disappointing.

Pool: we went once, this area is also desperately in need of a reno, the hot tub jets barely bubble and it's grungy looking. There is a kids play area that is closed off which is great if you want to sit in the hot tub and watch your kids play through the glass. We didn't do that, however, because there is an exit door attached to the play room that people kept coming in and out of, this was disconcerting (I kept imagining someone luring children through the door, creepy)

Staff: i don't have much to say as we didn't interact with many staff members. I noticed they were always very fast when we asked them to bring something to our room.

Best part: definitely the best was that we arrived very early in the morning and we had no where else to go in winnipeg, so the staff worked really hard to get us into a room quickly. And the price, I booked on Hotwire and got a phenomenal deal.

The worst: the hotel is just so outdated, really needs a Reno in the rooms, pool and restaurant. No security on the back (parking lot) door or the elevators either. Some more attention to the fine details and this could be a hotel I would loyally stay at.

Stayed February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment in such a candid manner. Feedback from our guests is always appreciated as it gives us the opportunity to evaluate our everyday efforts and make changes as required. Rest assured, I have reviewed your comments with our team and steps will be taken to address the items you mentioned. You will be pleased to hear that we are embarking on a complete refurbishment of the guest rooms and public areas of the hotel which will be completed over the next few months. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us later this year to witness the transformation. Please do not hesitate to call me at 204 452 -4747 if I may be of any further assistance to you.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Good vehicle access, pleasant staff, clean common rooms. Workout room was quiet, and well kept up. Great Sunday breakfast buffet. Thanks for the experience. We'll be back next year to this convenient location for our conference.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
MikeGore, Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you so much for your continued business and thank for talking the time to provide us with some feedback. We take great pride in our facility and in the products and services we offer and we feel even more proud when kind people, like yourself, take the time to comment in this way. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Winnipeg.

Hartney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the last 4 years with group functions and they are quite accommodating for those situations, but I recently went there with my wife and 2 young children on an excursion to Winnipeg for one night and got to take it in from a family point of view. The staff were all very good at their jobs, but did not seem excited to help in any more than the most minimal way, and save one gentleman at the desk, and some of the restaurant staff, not much for smiles either. The lobby is nice, the pool is very small and set up for children. The double queen room we stayed in had bedding that was too light for the temperature that they left the room at, so we needed to raise the temperature considerably at night. The bathroom ceiling was only seven feet high, and had a heat lamp instead of a fan, definitely a dangerous combo and very uncomfortable for us taller folk after a shower. The small fridge made a terrible noise when it would go off of its"cycle", waking me up several times in the night. The restaurant had excellent burgers, even at the price, but needs more selection between their price point and the very expensive entrees. Pizza shouldn't be the only item between 10 and 22 dollars! The kids eat free deal is great, but I feel the breakfast buffet should have been free to guests, it's similar to what most best western hotels give for free. All in all, this hotel gets to show that it has a large quantity of amenities, and it feels like a nice hotel when you walk around it, but it just comes up short on every part of the experience. A missed opportunity by a usually fine hotel chain.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear aarman4,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit. We are sincerely sorry for not being able to deliver a commendable experience on this occasion. We regret the inconvenience you may have had with the room you were given and if your dining experience was below par. Kindly be assured that we have noted your concerns and these shall be addressed aptly with our team to consider for improvements.

While we understand your visit was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you can give us another opportunity in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Winnipeg South? Share your experiences!