“ok” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #41 of 63 hotels in Winnipeg
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The room itself was clean and the bedding was nice and mattress comfortable. The customer service and the restaurant food need lots of work!

My daughter and I traveled here from Minnesota for a swim meet. We stayed with a group of other swimmers all traveling from MN.

Our first experience for the restaurant was pizza, which my daughter really liked. Breakfast the next day was O.K., prices O.K. Then we ordered room service one night and rented a movie. She wanted to have a relaxing night to prepare for more swimming early the next morning. We went down to use the microwave in the lobby (none in the rooms) and it stopped working in the middle of popping our corn. Told front desk. They just kind of laughed and sent the 'handyman' over to take a look. No apology and no offer to help pop corn in the restaurant micro which I am sure they had. When we went to order room service we could not get our room phone to work. we walked down to restaurant to place order. Again, no apology. Order was taken and said would be delivered in about 20 min. We were charged full room service rates. Food did arrive. Chicken wings were very COLD and burned to an inedible crisp. Chicken fingers were cool and had a weird taste. The only thing edible was the french fries. At this time we had already rented the movie, and as stated above, the phone wasn't working. We were unable to pause our $12 movie. So, we were stuck. Either miss the movie to get a new dinner. Or, not eat for a few hours.

Shower water went from hot to cold multiple times while showering.

On last day some swimmers had a late checkout and headed back to MN. Those of us who stayed the last night did not get room service. We came back from the morning swim session around 2pm and room had not been cleaned. I talked with the front desk regarding this and the previous nights room service. Again, no apology. Asked if we had our 'privacy tag' on door, told they would let manager know about night before and that someone would contact us. I asked to please not have someone come up to fix phone for the next hour because my daughter needed to nap before evening session. Someone both came to door and called on phone (which seemed to now work) and woke her up.

I never was contacted. Total bill just left under door. I went down to front desk before leaving and asked to speak directly with a manager. Manager was very friendly and apologetic. I was very pleasantly surprised when she offered to give us our last night free - I told her I was only looking to get the inedible food taken off bill. She said she would remove the whole last night stay because of the multiple issues.

Pretty good redemption for a not very pleasant experience. Thank You. If we come back we may try it again because of this and the hotels convenient location to the pool. However, it is up to the team. They decide and the other teams seemed to have better luck at other hotels. I was not the only team member with complaints during our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. We certainly apologize that your stay was not the relaxing break that it should have been and for our lack of response to your concerns. This is not acceptable at our hotel. Rest assured we have addressed your comments with our entire operations team and steps have been taken to make sure that this does not happen again.

I was very pleased to hear that our Manager on Duty was able to assist you and offer some compensation for these inconveniences. Thank you again for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. We certainly hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Worst hotel stay ever! Have stayed at holiday inns many times in the past and this time was a huge disappointment! Never returning to a Holiday Inn. Free for all for anyone with no consideration for other guests and unfriendly front desk staff. We live close by, went to go swimming and relax in a hot tub, for just a place to sleep could have gone home. Anything we tried to do, we couldn't. Upon check in our reservation was mixed up and had to be corrected. Went to the fitness room and options were treadmill or treadmill, all the other equipment was out of order. Went to the pool, and a group of adolescent boys were diving and cannon balling into the pool AND hot tub. Managed to get in the hot tub, and the kids started lining up on the ledge between the wading pool and shallow end and cannon ball at the same time...hot tub is right beside so need I say more. So went to the front desk to complain about the horseplay (and we have 5 kids, they weren't with that night but I'm the last person to complain about kids). Was told "I'll call my co worker", went back to the pool area, no one came. Wouldn't you know 20-30 min after I complained, 1 of the kids gets hurt, blood is in the pool, and NOW staff shows up...and pool is closed. If I hadn't complained before hand things happen, but I did complain and nothing was done. I then complained to the front desk staff about not being able to use anything and that was the whole reason we were there, hoping they could suggest something to still turn our stay into a pleasant experience, and she just looked at me and didn't say a word so I walked away stating never returning to a Holiday Inn. Terrible customer service and we were unable to use any of the amenities like the pool.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear CJLand,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and for the poor fitness center. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Red Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great location, clean, nice restaurant, safe ( right next door to a police station), friendly staff and nice pool. Great for a family or if you are on business. The only draw back is if you have a larger vehicle it is a little tight fitting in on the street level of the parking arcade.

Room Tip: I didn't give it a five star because no matter where you stay there is always room for improveme...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. We were all very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and have shared your positive review with our entire team.
Your comment with regards to our parking area is well taken. The pillars on the first and second levels of the covered parking area may present a challenge to drivers with larger vehicles. For that reason, we do reserve a number of parking stalls on the north side of our building for guests with larger vehicles. On your next visit, please inquire about this at the front desk upon check-in and we will be pleased to accommodate your requirements. Thank you again for your patronage, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kenora, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

First time staying here with my family. I used my points for a free night, but I know the average room price is below the average winnipeg price which is some incentive to stay here. As soon as we got to our room, I noticed the toilet had A LOT of dried urine down the outside front of the toilet. I called the front desk and they were kind and apologetic. They sent housekeeping to clean it and the lady offered no apology, nor friendliness and she did a very rough cleaning, but got it done. I wanted to have some coffee but as I was about to pour water in the coffee maker I noticed it was full of dust and different bits and pieces of stuff that shouldn't be in a coffee maker. The cups were not wrapped, so are they sterile or not? By this point I wasn't confident that anything was clean so that kind of ruined the stay here. When I'm in a hotel cleanliness is most important, not perfection but hey at least clean up the urine and dust out the coffee maker. The restaurant dinner menu was fine, pricier than I expected. Breakfast buffet was great. Service in the restaurant is amazing! Pool area, not too bad, good temperature. Happy they had at least a little area for kids to play.
Besides the toilet thing I didn't bother to contact hotel staff. I wrote a review in their in-room review card and handed it in to the front desk. I was asked how my stay was when I checked out and I told the lady everything. She asked if I had time to stay around so that she could give my family breakfast (at noon). I said we already ate there. She said 'oh'. And that's it! No other thought came to her mind. So I've written 3 ways to Holiday Inn about my stay, to review it, or to complete a survey and no one has cared to call or write a response. You get what you pay for, and this is one of the cheapest hotels in Winnipeg.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. We apologize for the issues you encountered and for the manner in which your concerns were handled. The cleanliness and service issues you mentioned are by no means acceptable and we thank you again for bringing them to our attention. It was a pleasure speaking with you on the telephone, we certainly appreciate your patience and understanding. As discussed, we have addressed these concerns with the departments involved and taken steps to ensure that these types of situations do not occur again. We appreciate you giving us an opportunity to redeem ourselves and look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South on your next visit to our city.
Simcoe, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

stayed at the Holiday inn South a few weeks ago for a 3 days business trip.

as usual the Holiday Inn delivers.

but
I did have a couple issues with the room which they resolved immediately (defective alarm clock and toilet issue)
Message to hotel manager -->I would highly recommend a bathroom upgrade for room 1018..

the restaurant/bar and food is great, breakfast buffet is awesome before work and very quick.

the location of the hotel works great for where we have to work and pricing is very good.

Room Tip: the higher levels are very quiet try the chicken wings ! you won't be disappointed and my pers...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. We were certainly pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comments on to our various departments. We do thank you for taking the time to point out your concerns. Rest assured we have addressed these items and again thank you for taking time to bring them to our attention. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South on your next visit to our city.
Devils Lake, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Loved this hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly and the rooms were up to date and clean! It was close to the downtown area without being in the midst of it. We especially found the people working at the front desk courteous, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are proud of our hotel and our staff and the friendly, helpful service they deliver to our guests. We are especially proud when kind people such as yourself take the time to comment in this way . I have shared your comments with our team and thank you again for your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South in the near future.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a large group on business March 7-10, 2010. The hotel is clean and the restaurants have good food. The facilities have a pool, gym equipment, etc. The rooms are large and cleaned every day. The beds are comfortable and pillows okay-never had a problem sleeping. The meeting rooms are large enough to accomodate large groups. It is situated not too far from the airport. If you want to enjoy didderent foods at other restaurants then there are plenty within 5 minutes walking distance of the hotel. Will definitely recommend this hotel for business groups and families.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Been to Holiday Inn Winnipeg South? Share your experiences!