“Relaxing - a great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fort Garry Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Garry Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Broadway Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0R3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #27 of 63 hotels in Winnipeg
A TripAdvisor Member
“Relaxing - a great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

I was afraid to stay at this hotel, because of the countless stories of it being haunted... but I was really interested in staying there, so my mom booked a night for my 15th birthday, and went there with my mom and a friend. Staying at the Fort Garry hotel was an amazing experience. Delicious breakfast, great service. the hotel is dazzling and I enjoyed every minute of my time there. There were a few cons, but they did not keep me from having a great time. I asked a lady if she had personally encountered any spooky experiences in the hotel, and she said yes, so I asked if she wouldn't mind telling me some of the stories. She happily agreed and told me and my friend every one of her Fort Garry ghost stories. everyone was extreamily friendly. I will defenetly be going to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2005

481 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

Rude and money hungry, upon complaining about a ruined 25th anniversary stay the OWNER says "we didn't charge you so who cares about the problems". Go to any other hotel in Winnipeg for friendly prairie service but DO avoid the penny pinching Fort Garry. It used to be an ok hotel, maybe when the next owner gets it for cheap service will once again be above third world levels. Ruining a 25th anniversary and not caring is inexcuseable, those nights happen only once. Stay away from it at all costs !

• Stayed January 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

We stayed three nights at the Fort Garry Hotel, which included a beautiful breakfast each morning. Guess we were very lucky, after reading some of the reviews.

We were given a lovely room, with a beautiful view (far away from the Coke machines, elevators and open stairway) and were treated exceptionally well. Our questions regarding "things to see" in the area were quickly answered, maps were provided, even the bus routes were provided, and many cabs were lined up outside.

The Hotel is 90 years old. It is a history lesson. It is very very clean to the point it just gleams. If one knows these things before they go, they should not experience any problem what-so-ever. Request a room on the 8th floor!

Just one warning -- stay away from the elevators and open stairway! True, the noise from the many parties and banquets comes right up the stairway! Wish they could fix that!

Fort Garry is a very busy place. All those folks could not be wrong!

London's fashionable Soho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2005

Looks fantastic from the outside. Inside it could do with some money spent on on it, and I agree with the earlier reviews which mentioned the noisy ice-machines. Make sure your room is well away from the elevators - sounds like a jumbo jet taking off. Had to spend 3 nights here - wouldn't return, but only because wild horses will not drag me back to Winnepeg, which is the dullest place I've ever been to.

Stayed November 2005
rochester, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2005

Spent 4 nights at the Fort Garry in October. When I found my initial spacious, light, airy room was across from 3 elevators whose bells went off constantly, a very noisy ice machine, and directly up the stairwell from the mezzanine level where loud dance music played until 1 AM, I complained. I was given another room that admittedly was quiet. However, it was a small, dark, interior room with a window looking across an airshaft about 10 feet into another room. No nice oversized pillows or fluffy duvet like the first room, but same price. Returned to the hotel 5 nights later--part of a tour--and was put on an upper floor, directly above their second dance area. Again kept awake until 1 AM by loud music. On checking out I told the desk staff I intended to write this review. They asked me to delay until the manager could contact me directly. That was a month ago. I've given up waiting.

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2005

We arrived in Winnepeg by train and walked a short block to the hotel and checked in a couple of hours early. The front desk was ready for us and upgraded our double bed to a king at no charge because it was ready now.The next three days the wife and I stayed there at room 124 was one of the best hotel experience's we've had.Fort Garry was opened in 1913 ,its a grand hotel that uses towels and bath robes from Turkey,free shampoo and soap from France,in room coffee and tea served in German stainless steel decanters with cookies.The service from all staff members could not have been any better.The food top in it's class.We loved our stay and will return again.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

The Hotel Fort Garry experience was remarkable. The staff are very friendly and quick to respond to any requests. The breakfast was very delightful. I was taken there by my then boyfriend who planned the trip as a surprise proposel and was very impressed, however, the revolving restaurant was my ONLY complaint, the food was not to my taste, cool and a little under done. Overall I recommend the hotel for any romantic getaway or special occassion, as a matter of fact we are on our way back in July 2005 for our 2 year(early) anniversary. We were married November 15 2003, but it's too cold to enjoy the sights at that time... Enjoy your stay...We did!!!

• Stayed April 2003

Been to Fort Garry Hotel? Share your experiences!