“Well maintained old beauty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

You added Fort Garry Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Garry Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Broadway Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0R3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Calgary, Alberta
“Well maintained old beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed one night in July. Front door and desk staff friendly and helpful. Self parking convenient but was an additional cost. Wifi was free. Lobby beautiful, rooms aged but comfortable beds with choice at checking of firm or soft beds. No in room coffee but complimentary 24 hours a day from room service. It was very good coffee! 12 pm check out appreciated. Convenient location close to the Forks Market, Osborne Village, and Corydon Ave. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our many complimentary amenities such as our high-speed WIFI access, 24/7 Coffee/Tea service and choice of either Feather or Tempurpedic mattress. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us once again!

aconicella@fortgarryhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Winnipeg mb
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

My friend had booked two rooms for her birthday and we had a group of friends staying overnight. When we arrived we were told the cost for 1 room would be $437 because we were paying in cash, even though we were told over the phone that the price was $159 per night. When we finally got the ordeal at the front desk sorted out, the rooms were below standard, and didn't even include a fridge, microwave, sufficient plug ins or internet access. Overall not worth the high cost of staying.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry hotel and for taking the time to post a review. In regards to your check-in experience I apologize for any miscommunication. Since your payment method was cash, we do ask for a damage deposit incase anything should happen to the guest room during your stay. This deposit does get returned to you at check-out. Please let me know if this information, including explanation on complimentary amenities such as our WIFI access was not made clear.

Taking care of our guests is our number one priority and I would be happy to assist you on finding a more suitable guest room and modern amenities should you choose to stay with us again. Please do not hesitate to contact me using my email below as I would be more than happy to assist you in the future to make your stay a more desirable one.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you should you wish to discuss this further.

Delta, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed here for a conference. With the benefit of hindsight I would have avoided the property on a working trip. If you are staying purely on vacation and get the right room you may enjoy this hotel.

Classic architecture from the era it was built including nice woodwork, marble floors and a great lobby bar. The location is very close to The Forks and the new museum. It is a relatively short cab ride from the airport. I had a rental car and found the valets to be very friendly and fast and the price per day was relatively reasonable. Front desk staff was helpful, at least when I checked in. The room was not too small and had a television with a decent selection of channels. I found the bed to be comfortable if not fantastic.

Unfortunately there weren't many other good things that I discovered. Heritage buildings also generally have weaknesses, especially for business travelers. The room may have been nice in the 1930's but hasn't been adapted well for the modern business traveler. I found the internet connection to be below average in speed and about average in stability. Outlets are few and hard to access. The desk chair was very uncomfortable. The ironing board was on its last legs.

The bathroom is small and had the feeling of a hospital. The tub/shower has pump dispensers for soap with no option for bars. Sorry, I prefer fresh soap. Elevators are small and slow. Corridors, while classically styled, appear tired and worn in many areas.

I can't say I recommend this property. As I wrote earlier, if you are staying purely on vacation and want a good location and clean hotel in a heritage building you will do fine here. However, if you are working and prefer some more modern amenities then look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our central location close to many attractions and that our front desk staff were helpful during your check-in.

In regards to your room, I apologize that it was not accommodating to your business stay. Please know that your feedback is greatly appreciated and helps us make decisions on improvements. On the same note, the Fort Garry does have a number of rooms which have been upgraded with modern amenities and could be very accommodating to a business traveller. I would be more than happy to help assist you in arranging this should you return to Winnipeg.

Please do not hesitate to contact me using my contact information below should you wish to discuss this further or to arrange a more fitting room to your needs in the future.

204.946.6523
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Fort Garry hotel is Winnipeg's version of New York's Waldorf Astoria or Chicaco's Palmer House. Maybe not as reputed as the Waldorf, this old-style hotel is built close to the train station and you can feel the history in the walls of this place. The bar/ dinning room is dark with heavy wood furniture and impeccable service. Hint: as an after dinner drink, try the "blueberry tea", which is a delightful mix of alcool, citrus and tea. I've stayed many times and the rooms are all different, with the same decoration. Heavy doors, carpet and furniture that brings you back in time, but with a great mattress option of either a regular mattress or the foam "Tempurpedic" mattress, which I love. Also, the breakfast buffet is fantastic, with a huge variety of high quality ingrédients. Unbeatable breakfast! So this hotel is certainly not the most modern, but definitely is a great establishment for a business stay. And don't forget to inquire about the room with a ghost...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your evening in our Palm Lounge and that our staff was attentive and helpful to your needs.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Unless I am WAY out to lunch (that being served in Fort Garry's Lounge, of course) this is Winnipeg's oldest hotel. An old Railway hotel, built in 1913, you can still see signs of its heritage and vintage in the architecture, grand staircases, back staircases, doors, locks, foyers and banisters. The BEST PART? The food (fabulous lounge restaurant and Winnipeg's FINEST Sunday brunch), the TEN SPA (world class spa http://www.tenspa.ca/ on par with Vernon's Sparkling Hills Resort - http://www.sparklinghill.com/) and the beds. We booked a room after a New Year's Eve party and had the greatest sleep I've had in a hotel in quite some time. Note: This was a winter night's stay with fluffy comforters and plush pillows. Can't comment on summer time. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing north. Rooms facing south have their views blocked by an apartment comple...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am so glad to read that you thoroughly enjoyed our food! Especially the Sunday Brunch. We hope the rest of your visit to Winnipeg was enjoyed!

Chandigarh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I tried to economise having come on a conference and stayed in various hotels. But this is superb, central and so iconic as someone else wrote. The staff are very helpful and it is not too much more than the so called budget hotels where I did waste quite a bit of money thinking I was economising. I could have stayed in superb style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so glad I did the night before leaving. I found the so called budget hotels still costing. But this is beautiful. And make sWinnipeg a lovely stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am so happy to read about your stay with us and how pleased you were with our helpful staff and central location. I hope you find us to be your castle away from home and choose to stay with us in the future once again.

Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Initially when my husband said he wanted to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel I thought it might cost an arm and a leg so to speak. Not true. The best rate and the widest choice of room configurations were found on the hotel's own website. Those who stay at the hotel receive a 50% discount on breakfast. Speaking of breakfast it was terrific. They had two chefs preparing eggs made to order as well as gluten free options.

The hotel is located a 10 minute walk to the Forks - a must see destination in Winnipeg. Park your car and you're located in a part of town which is walking friendly. Be prepared to pay $15.00 for self valet parking per night which is probably a bargain for downtown parking.

As would be expected of an iconic hotel, the Fort Garry Hotel has everything you need. House keeping provides complimentary tea and coffee upon request. On three occasions I had barely time to put the phone down and it arrived. Awesome. Need I say more. The room was well appointed. The only negative I would note is the $4.50 charge for the bottled water in the room.

Want to be treated like a king or queen without breaking the bank, the Fort Garry Hotel is for you.

Room Tip: Room 202 supposedly is haunted
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. I am very happy to read that you found your stay to be well enjoyed and worth your money spent. We do our best to offer top quality services at a reasonable rate. I'm pleased to read that you took advantage of breakfast during your stay and enjoyed the many personalized options we have for food.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to the opportunity to service you once again.

aconicella@fortgarryhotel.com

Been to Fort Garry Hotel? Share your experiences!