“Going back in time, in a good way” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

You added Fort Garry Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Garry Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Broadway Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0R3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Montreal
“Going back in time, in a good way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Fort Garry hotel is Winnipeg's version of New York's Waldorf Astoria or Chicaco's Palmer House. Maybe not as reputed as the Waldorf, this old-style hotel is built close to the train station and you can feel the history in the walls of this place. The bar/ dinning room is dark with heavy wood furniture and impeccable service. Hint: as an after dinner drink, try the "blueberry tea", which is a delightful mix of alcool, citrus and tea. I've stayed many times and the rooms are all different, with the same decoration. Heavy doors, carpet and furniture that brings you back in time, but with a great mattress option of either a regular mattress or the foam "Tempurpedic" mattress, which I love. Also, the breakfast buffet is fantastic, with a huge variety of high quality ingrédients. Unbeatable breakfast! So this hotel is certainly not the most modern, but definitely is a great establishment for a business stay. And don't forget to inquire about the room with a ghost...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your evening in our Palm Lounge and that our staff was attentive and helpful to your needs.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

aconicella@fortgarryhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Unless I am WAY out to lunch (that being served in Fort Garry's Lounge, of course) this is Winnipeg's oldest hotel. An old Railway hotel, built in 1913, you can still see signs of its heritage and vintage in the architecture, grand staircases, back staircases, doors, locks, foyers and banisters. The BEST PART? The food (fabulous lounge restaurant and Winnipeg's FINEST Sunday brunch), the TEN SPA (world class spa http://www.tenspa.ca/ on par with Vernon's Sparkling Hills Resort - http://www.sparklinghill.com/) and the beds. We booked a room after a New Year's Eve party and had the greatest sleep I've had in a hotel in quite some time. Note: This was a winter night's stay with fluffy comforters and plush pillows. Can't comment on summer time. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing north. Rooms facing south have their views blocked by an apartment comple...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am so glad to read that you thoroughly enjoyed our food! Especially the Sunday Brunch. We hope the rest of your visit to Winnipeg was enjoyed!

Chandigarh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I tried to economise having come on a conference and stayed in various hotels. But this is superb, central and so iconic as someone else wrote. The staff are very helpful and it is not too much more than the so called budget hotels where I did waste quite a bit of money thinking I was economising. I could have stayed in superb style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so glad I did the night before leaving. I found the so called budget hotels still costing. But this is beautiful. And make sWinnipeg a lovely stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am so happy to read about your stay with us and how pleased you were with our helpful staff and central location. I hope you find us to be your castle away from home and choose to stay with us in the future once again.

Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Initially when my husband said he wanted to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel I thought it might cost an arm and a leg so to speak. Not true. The best rate and the widest choice of room configurations were found on the hotel's own website. Those who stay at the hotel receive a 50% discount on breakfast. Speaking of breakfast it was terrific. They had two chefs preparing eggs made to order as well as gluten free options.

The hotel is located a 10 minute walk to the Forks - a must see destination in Winnipeg. Park your car and you're located in a part of town which is walking friendly. Be prepared to pay $15.00 for self valet parking per night which is probably a bargain for downtown parking.

As would be expected of an iconic hotel, the Fort Garry Hotel has everything you need. House keeping provides complimentary tea and coffee upon request. On three occasions I had barely time to put the phone down and it arrived. Awesome. Need I say more. The room was well appointed. The only negative I would note is the $4.50 charge for the bottled water in the room.

Want to be treated like a king or queen without breaking the bank, the Fort Garry Hotel is for you.

Room Tip: Room 202 supposedly is haunted
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. I am very happy to read that you found your stay to be well enjoyed and worth your money spent. We do our best to offer top quality services at a reasonable rate. I'm pleased to read that you took advantage of breakfast during your stay and enjoyed the many personalized options we have for food.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to the opportunity to service you once again.

Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I had an enjoyable visit to this hotel. The staff were friendly and the accommodations were clean and modern for an older property. Breakfast was affordable for guests and the quality was high. I would return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post your review. I am very pleased to read that your stay with us was enjoyable and that our accommodations and staff made you feel welcomed and comfortable!

We look forward to the opportunity to service you again.

All the best,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a 3 night business / fun stay at the Fort Gary this July and enjoyed the experience. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Downtown location proved to be very good. Great value in restaurant (e.g. $10 buffet breakfast for guests) and a nice classic lounge. Rooms are a bit dated, but comfortable. Comfortable bed, new TV, etc. Would definitely consider a return visit to this Winnipeg classic.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. We are happy to read that your 3 night stay was much enjoyed and that our staff was helpful and welcoming.

We look forward to have you stay with us once again.

Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed at the Fort Gerry on invitation of my mother-in-law who was in earlier years deeply impressed about the classy style and architecture. This still holds true, in particular with the rooms decorated completely out of time. Unfortunately, theses rooms didn't hold the promises when it came to deal with really rainy Winnipeg weather. I simply could not find the hangers or the space to put my wive's and my dripping wet coats and clothes! Room service was praised in other reviews - but it took them 3/4 of an hour to deliver a simple coffee to our room. Emptied bottles in the hallway (from the previous nights wedding guests) stood there disgustingly all day long, until removed late afternoon. Well, that was the Canada day weekend, perhaps they were understaffed...

But what really disappointed me, was the passive un-helpfulness of most of the hotel's staff: When our further travel plans (by train to Churchill) where swept away by late June floods and I was inquiring for car rentals at the front desk, I was literally pointed at the Yellow Pages! It may be unreasonable, but I did expect from such a classy and by far not cheap hotel a little more service and support to a guest.

Clearly on the plus side of this report is the Sunday brunch - which is enjoyed not only by Hotel guests, but by other visitors as well: Very impressive and very enjoyable brunch it is!

Room Tip: Rooms to the back side are more quiet, but of course do not have a view, whereas rooms facing Broadw...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. While I am happy to read that you were very impressed with our Grand Sunday Brunch, I apologize on behalf of our Front Desk team that we were unable to exceed expectations when you needed assistance. Providing excellent customer service to our guests is our top priority and I can assure you that the appropriate channels have been notified on your experience. If the opportunity presents itself I do hope you choose to stay with us once again so we can provide you with the quality service and attentiveness we pride on.

If you would like to further discuss your experience or how I could be of assistance to you for any future stay, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information below.

Kind Regards,

Been to Fort Garry Hotel? Share your experiences!