“Great location and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

You added Fort Garry Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Garry Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Broadway Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0R3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Vancouver, Canada
“Great location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a 3 night business / fun stay at the Fort Gary this July and enjoyed the experience. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Downtown location proved to be very good. Great value in restaurant (e.g. $10 buffet breakfast for guests) and a nice classic lounge. Rooms are a bit dated, but comfortable. Comfortable bed, new TV, etc. Would definitely consider a return visit to this Winnipeg classic.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. We are happy to read that your 3 night stay was much enjoyed and that our staff was helpful and welcoming.

We look forward to have you stay with us once again.

Kind regards,

Alessandra Conicella
aconicella@fortgarryhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed at the Fort Gerry on invitation of my mother-in-law who was in earlier years deeply impressed about the classy style and architecture. This still holds true, in particular with the rooms decorated completely out of time. Unfortunately, theses rooms didn't hold the promises when it came to deal with really rainy Winnipeg weather. I simply could not find the hangers or the space to put my wive's and my dripping wet coats and clothes! Room service was praised in other reviews - but it took them 3/4 of an hour to deliver a simple coffee to our room. Emptied bottles in the hallway (from the previous nights wedding guests) stood there disgustingly all day long, until removed late afternoon. Well, that was the Canada day weekend, perhaps they were understaffed...

But what really disappointed me, was the passive un-helpfulness of most of the hotel's staff: When our further travel plans (by train to Churchill) where swept away by late June floods and I was inquiring for car rentals at the front desk, I was literally pointed at the Yellow Pages! It may be unreasonable, but I did expect from such a classy and by far not cheap hotel a little more service and support to a guest.

Clearly on the plus side of this report is the Sunday brunch - which is enjoyed not only by Hotel guests, but by other visitors as well: Very impressive and very enjoyable brunch it is!

Room Tip: Rooms to the back side are more quiet, but of course do not have a view, whereas rooms facing Broadw...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. While I am happy to read that you were very impressed with our Grand Sunday Brunch, I apologize on behalf of our Front Desk team that we were unable to exceed expectations when you needed assistance. Providing excellent customer service to our guests is our top priority and I can assure you that the appropriate channels have been notified on your experience. If the opportunity presents itself I do hope you choose to stay with us once again so we can provide you with the quality service and attentiveness we pride on.

If you would like to further discuss your experience or how I could be of assistance to you for any future stay, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information below.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Unlike many hotel experiences, staying at the Fort Garry is of cultural and historic interest. It's a heritage building, fantastic architecture and decor, a true historic landmark. It's located in a central area of the city, one can go outside for a walk down tree-lined boulevards; it is a short walk to the forks (another meaningful and interesting heritage site turned into a public park and market).

There was a very good breakfast buffet, couldn't be much better than that.

And the pool and fitness area was the best of any hotel I've stayed at in my life. The pool is in the adjacent condo building, which is accessible by a walkway from the second floor. The pool is big enough to do full lap swimming, with a length of almost 25 m. And the gym was large and fully equipped. Neither of these were excessively busy, sometimes we were the only people in the pool.

The room itself was a little small, and we didn't pay for a room with a spectacular view. But I had no complaints about it.

The main issue was whether to pay the higher rate for staying here, during a family visit to Winnipeg, instead of staying at a cheap hotel in a suburb. I'm not sure we would stay there every time we visit Winnipeg, but I think it is the most memorable and interesting possible place to stay in Winnipeg.

Room Tip: very good views are available but at a higher price.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

As you can see from my previous post my stay at the Fort Garry hotel has been a love hate relationship. it can be a yo yo experience at times. I stayed on July 5th 2014 in room 428 (one of the upgraded executive rooms) The cost of this room is $329 a night VERY REASONABLE considering the space you get (separate living room and bedroom) the furnishings, the two beautiful flat screen televisions, the comfortable bed and desk (see pictures) Slowly but surely the hotel is getting better with their upgrades. It is still a work in progress in my opinion but the point is they are trying. Other perks include the daily news paper, the 24 hour tea and coffee service the bath amenities and products (L'occintane which is a very high end bath product) The bed was incredibly comfortable.

TEN SPA AMAZING!!!! CAN'T REITERATE THAT ENOUGH!!! BEST SPA IN WINNIPEG HANDS DOWN!!!!

When I checked in the first room they provided me with was very inadequate (ROOM 510) The furnishings were dated. the carpet was old, table looked old, the bedroom was nice but the living room was a drab. I quickly called down to the front desk and notified them that the room I requested was the room I had booked previously. They said it was unavailable BUT had a comparable room on the 4th floor ROOM 428. This room was way better NOT as good as the room I requested but suffice and WAY better than 510. See pictures below. Thank you for the quick move in rooms it is greatly appreciated.

Brunch cost $25 each which was reasonable since normally it would be $50 but because I had a room the cost was discounted. Brunch was excellent and well worth the money!!!

My experience here was better this time I do prefer the rooms with a separate living room but it can get costly if you are staying multiple nights. I do love the points reward system they have now. More money you spend the more points you accumulate in order to redeem a gift card you can use toward the hotel or spa. Thank you for implementing that for regulars like myself who like to come down a few times a year to get away from work and kids.

Keep up the good work Fort Garry!!

Oh and they are upgrading their TV's and netflix will be free when using your own account! NICE TOUCH!

Will be back again around November!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was luck enough to stay at the Fort Garry for my cousin's wedding and the whole thing was quite the experience. It's a beautiful hotel, right in the middle of the city (I loved that you could walk across the street and be at the Forks!) with lots of fascinating history (and, rumour has it, a ghost or two!) There are no coffee machines or kettles in the room but you can call down for fresh coffee at any time. The fitness club is a bit of a hike to access - technically it's in the next building but once you get there you have access to a full gym. I also especially loved the bar just off the lobby - it felt like stepping back in time.

Keep in mind that, because the hotel is so old and is being historically maintained, the rooms are quite old fashioned. This isn't to say that they're bad, just not what you might expect from a classy hotel like this one. Embrace it!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the floors either above or below the ballroom - if there's an event, you...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Years ago we had dinner at the Fort Garry on our Honeymoon but had never stayed there so this year we came for our 30th Anniversary. We ate a late lunch in the beautiful Palm Lounge and were surprised at the great quality of the food, lovely small plates, and outstanding liver pate as most only mention the breakfast. It's a small but well chosen menu but preparation is excellent. We came back for dinner, again excellent food plus lovely piano music. Pretty nice for a Monday night. We were a little disappointed at the room, large with nice bed and bath and linens and very clean but a little dated and bare, and configuration was not the best for our needs (I have a C-PAP, and my husband likes to read in bed and lamps and outlets were inconvenient) but then they are a bargain. We happened to mentioned that to the evening desk manager and he jumped into action then took me on a tour of 3 other available rooms, explaining the hotel face lift in process and then helped us choose one that felt just right and helped move all of our things, displaying supreme patience all the while. Best service we've ever seen. So now we are cozily settled in and looking forward to breakfast!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post your review. I am very happy to read that you were able to enjoy some memorable dishes in our beautiful Palm Lounge while being entertained by live local music. You may be interested to know that every day of every month we feature some of Winnipeg's most talented artists! You can find our Entertainment Schedule by visiting our website.

Providing excellent customer service is our top priority and I was very pleased to read that this has been reflected in your review from your first hand experience.

Kind regards,

Alessandra Conicella

Marketing Coordinator
204.946.6523
aconicella@fortgarryhotel.com
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed at the Fort Garry Hotel for two nights, separated by a trip up to Churchill to see the polar bears, with Natural Habitat. So we got to stay in two different rooms. The Fort Garry hotel is a grand building and boasts an impressive foyer. We found the staff friendly and helpful at check-in. Both times we had comfortable, clean rooms with everything we needed and very comfy beds that you don't want to get out of. Nice showers too. We had a welcome dinner for our group and the food provided by the hotel was really nice. The first night, staying on the 5th floor was a bit noisy. We enjoyed the breakfasts where you could order an omelette (or whatever) and have it cooked while you waited. There was a good variety of food, including fresh fruit, pastries, etc. While we were in Churchill we were able to leave our vehicle in the undercover park at the Fort Garry, along with excess luggage that we didn't need. One of the ladies in our Natural Habitat group told me that the hotel is supposed to be haunted and was told to keep the door locked, which I found absurd. I was curious enough to google it and sure enough, one of the rooms is reputed to be haunted, which was just up from where we were (this time on the second floor). We were not bothered and if anything had a better quality of sleep the second night. Overall the Fort Garry Hotel was a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fort Garry Hotel? Share your experiences!