“Romance at the Grand Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

You added Fort Garry Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Garry Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Broadway Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0R3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #23 of 65 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg
“Romance at the Grand Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This beautifully restored railroad hotel offers a special .....a sleepover with dinner, breakfast and valet service included, which my husband reserved to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
When we arrived we were greeted like royalty, our car whisked away to a safe parking spot.
After a seamless check in, we retired to our room to find two lovely long stem roses, a complimentary fruit basket, cheese and crackers and a bottle of champagne on ice to enjoy before dinner.

Dinner was available in the Palm Room....a gorgeous setting for dining. The sevice was excellent, the menu, sadly, quite limited. I chose a chicken stir fry in which cauliflower was over represented, but the meal was ample, and quite tasty.
Breakfast proved much more satisfactory. The omelettes were nicely prepared, and there was
and excellent selection of fresh fruit, cereal, and pastries.

The room appeared to have been recently restored and decorated....everything spotlessly clean. Unfortunately no queen or king beds were available so had to settle for a double, which proved to be quite comfortable. No shortage of pillows, and linens were very fine.
Despite the fact that our room faced Broadway, which can be quite a busy street, we could hear no traffic noise.

There was only one sign of the wear and tear mentioned by other reviewers...a large worn spot in the carpet outside our door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

According to the brochures within the room I stayed in at the Fort Garty Hotel in April, this hotel will celebrate its 100th birthday this year. I can only hope that the management will take this occassion to give the rooms a birthday gift with long overdue renovations and refurbishing. As stated in other reviews, this hotel's architecture and ambience is charming, and it is easy to appreciate the marble on some of the floors, the high ceilings and crown mouldings in the Palm room and the layout of a hotel that was thriving in its day. And then you step off the small elevator on your room floor and wonder what happened. The carpeting is faded and worn, the rooms are painted with old colors and have faded valances, peeling paint and the carpet in my room had a large stain. My husband and I brought with us a bottle of wine to enjoy in our room, and upon noiticing that there were o wine glasses, called the front desk to have some provided. We were told that our request could be accomodated, but that the charge of .50 per galss (plus tax of course) would be added to ur bill! Really?? I can get wine glasses at a considerably cheaper hotel for free--why not here? We joked with the room service fellow who brought us our glasses that his tip was more than the cost of the glasses, and I had to ask myself why a hotel would charge for wine glasses when it likely cost them more to send the staff to the room and print out the bill?
The bathroom is tiny, with old white tiling, a tub with shower and small sink. There is hardly any room to spread out your toiletry bag and forget about two people being in there at the same time. The room has an old TV, and furniture that is old, scratched and looking tired. The bed is good and the linens are nice...almost the only redeeming things about the room. Coffee and tea service are 24 hours and a nice touch. However, after placing our coffee order for the morning on the door the night before, I was disappointed when it arrived without cream...despite the fact that I had ordered it. The breakfast (which you can add to your stay for $10) is good and worth the money. The restaurant where they serve breakfast reminds you of the standards and quality that the entire hotel should have, with crisp linens, good food and service. Being a proud Manitoban, I want to support hotels within this province and am proud of the Fort Garry and its history. So I was extremely disappointed to see that its rooms are looking so neglected and sad---we can only hope that they will be renovated as a birthday present soon!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on the first floor. This is actually about 3 floors up...but are in the light o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The FGH is beautiful on the outside and in the grand front lobby, however the rooms and hallways are in desperate need of repair.

My mom and I stayed in the allegedly haunted room in January 2013. Considering this room is supposed to be a bit of a tourist attraction, we thought it would be in much better condition. The furniture was very old (not in a unique, antique way, but just in a grungy way), the carpets were worn and the wallpaper was peeling off very badly. It looks like it hadn't seen any repairs in many years. On top of it all, it had a CRT T.V. We're not princesses and don't need state-of-the-art stuff, but it did nothing to make the room look better.

The hallways & elevators are very dark and the carpeting in the hallways are torn and lifting in some places.

The room was clean, don't get me wrong, but considering the price of the room was far from cheap, I would have expected a lot better. I've had rooms in much better condition in Super 8s.

Room Tip: Whatever the most expensive room is, is probably your best bet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this charming historic hotel everytime we visit family for weddings,funerals or vacation. We've been coming for years,we love the beds, the toitetries,the tea/coffee service and the food is out of this world! However, we've been noticing the past few years more and more red flags. This stay, when we arrived it was cold and blizarding, no one was anywhere around to help us with our luggage. We did it ourselves, and it was like that the last time we visited. Our room smelled very humid&musky, there were black hairs in the tub,sink &bathroom floor...yuck! There was lots of black mold growing in the cocking of the window,as well as the bathtub grout. There were rips and lifting of the carpet in our room & the paint was all pealing in spots, especially the bathroom door. Our TV was all fuzzy& the color was off and on. I had to call to hav someone fix it, they couldn't really fix the prob. Nor did anything to compinsate.The back of the gym and change rooms were not well maintained at all, & extremely run down.
Even the main staircase had rips& was duck taped up. In the palm room there was paint pealing all in the beautiful handcrafted moldings. It's really a shame that this absolutely beautiful hotel full of character,is not maintained better. I feel that it has lost it's luster, and really not worth the expense. I feel I was overpriced for what we recived. Not a 5star hotel that they claim to be. Sadly, my husband and I will be choosing the Fairmont for our future Winnipeg visits.

• Stayed April 2013
Graton, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I dislike flying intensely and travel as often as possible by train; as such this magnificent old hotel is made to order for me. It's directly across the street from Winnipeg's equally grand old Union Station so access couldn't be easier even in the dead of winter. I also don't care very much about the WiFi speed, whether or not my TV is gigantic or flat-screen, or even if there IS a TV --- is this what people really travel for? To watch TV? I suppose regular business travelers become accustomed to what they like or need, but for the occasional voyager like me a fine old hotel such as this is treat.

I've seen some cranky comments about the lack of service here, and I can't see what they're talking about: arriving at the big stairs at the front door, a young beautifully attired Porter instantly scampered down and grabbed our cases without hesitation even though the snow was swirling about. The lobby is a swell affair with a huge revolving door, marble floors, shining brass fixtures, dark wood, neat old elevators with the floor indicators like clock faces and so on; the folks at the desk were extremely nice, efficient, and had us up in our rooms in no time. Another contributor was apparently shocked the place had no old plush sofas downstairs to sit on, and I suppose if your hobby is sitting around in hotel foyers you'll be disappointed here, but there is a gorgeous oval lounge directly adjacent with a great many comfy chairs in it, and even tables and potted palms, too.

The upstairs corridors bespeak the place's age, reminding me somewhat of the Overlook Hotel from "The Shining," but how much time does one spend in a corridor? Of the rooms we occupied one had no view, but the other's was mostly of the snowstorm outside so I can't say we were especially unhappy. They were a bit overheated for my taste, making the generous thick coverlets on the beds almost unnecessary, but this is typical of any hotel in a cold climate in my experience, and we simply switched off the heat and were OK with the ambience for the rest of our stay. The beds were very comfy, and we slept well. The decor is yesteryear's, but still restrained and tasteful, with no staleness or ancient tobacco odors. There is bottled water with gleaming crystal glasses in each room but we never opened it, because I believe you then have to pay for it, and the tap water is perfectly delicious so why bother? One pleasant surprise is complimentary coffee & biscotti delivered to the room; I'm kind of a coffee snob and I thought their brew was excellent, and there was plenty of it as well. The shower (no tub) was gorgeous, featuring a massive showerhead with a variety of settings; interestingly, although the pressure changed up & down quite frequently, the water temperature stayed happily constant.

The extensive menu from the lounge downstairs is also the room service menu, and we sampled quite a few items and found them all to be perfectly delicious. In fact I would say that Serious Food is one of the salient qualities of the Fort Garry Hotel; the breakfast room is very nice, with two talented chefs on call to prepare just about anything you might ask for right in front of you without a moment's delay. (One tip: order the breakfast service the evening before, and it's half the cost of a walk-in.) We tried about everything --waffles, pancakes, bacon, omelets, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice, pastries-- and it was without exception first class. On Sundays they close this room at 10:00 to set up their gargantuan Sunday Brunch out in the lobby, and to judge by the attendance it's a city-wide tradition, with even more offerings than the standard breakfast. Quite boggling, almost Roman, and yet still genteel. I was really impressed.

We went to the adjacent health club in the early morning to use their steamy indoor pool. Most astonishing was the sight of a dozen incredibly buff women in microscopic bikinis being coached for an upcoming bodybuilding competition. I know Canada is famed for its woods and lakes and mountains, but I will also cast a vote for its "great indoors" as well.

The only glitch was an odd extra charge on our bill, which I pointed out to the desk clerk, and it was immediately resolved and the charge voided.

The locale is definitely "downtown" and is not much nicer than other aging metropolitan centers, but though I was panhandled the poor bum started his pitch with "Er, excuse me, sir..." so one is reminded that you're still in Canada. There are good restaurants within easy walking distance, as well as "The Forks" marketplace.

Room Tip: Somebody I spoke with after we checked out asked me if we stayed "in the famous haunted room.&q...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Abbotsford, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was my first trip to Winnipeg in 30 years and I was booked into the Fort Garry Hotel. I had a great stay for the 5 nights I was there. This is a hotel built in the days when hotels were built around the railroads and it has lost little over time. True, parts of the rooms, doors especially are showing some wear, but it is truly a graceful place, with quiet hallways and very comfortable beds. I had to work evenings and had no trouble sleeping during the daytime. Everything is clean. The staff are superb, always polite and accommodating.

I had breakfast in the breakfast room every morning, where there are two chefs waiting to make what ever you want to order. This along with a selection of freshly baked pastries and fruits make a great start to the day. The food served in the Palm Lounge is exceptional.

There is a health club attached to the hotel, with passes available. You can walk anywhere in the downtown area within 15 minutes.

If I return, I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I love going to this hotel, every time I step into the building it feels like I am being transported back in time. the rooms are small but sufficient. The Spa upstairs is the ultimate relaxation experience. Tea & Cookies are brought to your room free of charge 24/7. The bed was huge and felt like I was sinking into a cloud. Perfect Romantic Getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fort Garry Hotel? Share your experiences!