“Feels like your stepping back in time.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fort Garry Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Garry Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Broadway Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0R3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #30 of 63 hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
“Feels like your stepping back in time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I love going to this hotel, every time I step into the building it feels like I am being transported back in time. the rooms are small but sufficient. The Spa upstairs is the ultimate relaxation experience. Tea & Cookies are brought to your room free of charge 24/7. The bed was huge and felt like I was sinking into a cloud. Perfect Romantic Getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

449 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Thie is one of the Old Railroad Hotels found in Canada. The service is excellent, rooms are clean and well kept as well as the beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The best thing about this hotel is that if you stay over on Saturday, you get to have the Sunday brunch for free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've stayed here several times for work, and I can't get enough of it. Now, it's not for everyone. It does have the feeling of being a bit rustic. The owners are doing the best they can, investing in hotel upgrades and renovations a piece at a time.

When you walk in-the lobby is amazing. The bar off to the corner seems like it's straight out of the prohibition era. The food, beer and cocktail selection are on par with any 4 star hotel (and heck-they'll even bring a beer to your room-draft beer!).

The rooms-well, they are hit and average. Some are older, and are in need of updating. The ones they have updated, are very tastefully done and stay true to the period. The suites are amazing.

With the staff, whenever I have had an issue, I have spoken to them, and they have resolved it quickly. Twice they gave me a room upgrade without having to ask for it-and when I had an issue with the parking in the back, they removed it from my bill (on a one week stay).

The spa is not my cup of tea (spas in general), but several colleagues love it.

Two last things-Sunday brunch will knock your socks off-and the regular morning buffet is also not to be missed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NW Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We felt like royalty at this hotel, the staff was very nice and helpful, the breakfast included with the room was amazing, two chefs were ready to make us any kind of eggs or omelets we desired, fresh fruit, healthy choices and not so healthy choices depending on what your craving. The room was old but I found that charming, high ceilings a bathroom window that opens I really liked! Beds were comfy and cozy with feather everything which I also loved. We spend one evening walking around the hotel and taking in the amazing historical sites and facts, we loved it there and felt like we were in a different world! We'll stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bemidji
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the Fort Garry - standard room. Was not as small as expected but it was on the inside corridor meaning no view. Nevertheless, the room possessed all the amenities of larger rooms...and winter white in Winnipeg does not necessarily warrant a room with a view. Much more comfy are the cushy feather beds (if feathers are not your thing the hotel offers Tempurpedic)...and the thick terry robes offered during your stay. The showerhead in the bath was pure heaven. Whenever I need pampering, I head to the Fort Garry...complimentary tea/coffee 24/7 - can't beat that. My mother and I had dinner in the Palm Room - a decent menu - enjoyed with piano bar. Later in the evening a duo performed favorites - ambiant music that draws people to listen, enjoy and chat.. Breakfast is reason enough to go to the Fort Garry - using food scatter stations, there is little to no wait for food, wait staff are attentive to beverage and toast, and an 'omlette plus' station where food is prepared to order sends beckoning aromas wafting into the lobby. The hotel used to offer complimentary breakfast, but there is now a charge. Nevertheless it is good value. If you want high end pampering, a visit to the on premises Ten Spa will do very nicely. Also the skyway takes you to a large pool, kiddie pool and whirlpool reminiscent of old world charm and elegance. My only little complaint is that internet, parking, and now breakfast are add ons. So there has been a bit of a decline in the value it offered a few months ago.

Room Tip: Exterior rooms have excellent cityscape views at a premium. Standard interior rooms are more than a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place seems to just take one step forward, three steps back. See my prior reviews.

One positive, for the first time in ten years, the bell man offered to carry my luggage up the steps. A small victory for guests. Someone is reading these things as this has been one of the major complaints on tripadvisor about this place.

Negatives. Holes in the carpet in room 417, see pic. Rusty heater grate. Neither impact comfort but is a good example of "the customer wont notice" attitude at the Fort Garry.

The beautiful lobby has not one place for guests to sit. At least it did not on March 4th. How lazy and inattentive can you get! Hotel lobbies should be buzzing with activity, but this one sends the message that guests should get on their way.

Fortunately I won't have to deal with this again. And by the way, the healthiest food is in the little gift shop which has a very nice selection of magazines, trinkets, soups, sandwiches, salads. The restaurant is mainly your typical bar fare.

Room Tip: avoid 417, needs a major renovation. see pics. The TV has snow on the screen and the view out the wi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Laura W, Director of Marketing at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us again on your most recent trip to Winnipeg, and thank you for reviewing your stay. I was pleased to read that we did deliver on the door service you expected from us, but was disappointed that your overall stay was rated poorly.

I do hope that you will return to the Fort Garry to stay with us again, and if there is anything we can do to make your next stay better, please do not hesitate to contact me personally as we do value you as a guest.

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
(204)946-6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com
Maubec, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Thanks to a trip to the arctic cold I had to stay two times two nights in Winnipeg. Looking at available options I choose the 5 start Fort Garry hotel. Good location, close to the town center and the railway station and the website did not look too bad. I learned the hotel had been build by the same company (and probably the seem people) that had build the railway in order to give their passengers a decent stay at the beginning or end of their journey. So I had imagined an old style, wood all over and traveller friendly hotel. Unfortunately that's not the case. When the taxi driver dropped me and my luggage off at the steps to the hotel entrance in the freezing cold I waited in vain for somebody who would step in and give me a hand with the luggage. I could have frozen to death but no one came out. When I had hauled up my luggage and went through the revolving door the doorman welcomed me with a ".. freezing cold out there, no?" When I suggested he could have gone outside and give me a hand he just looked like that was not part of his job description. Well, the hotel was a big disappointment with electric heaters that make the room too hot, too dry and too noisy, with my room at the ninth floor it took a measured 4 minutes before there was warm water and a breakfast without bread, a slice of cheese or ham. Yes - it is an old style hotel with high ceilings and broad stair cases but service wise I would not rate it higher than a youth hostel. It needs a revamping, starting with the personnel who have no interest and the rooms. Now it is no more than a run down relic of recent history.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback from our guests gives us necessary insight to maintain our standard of service and to make improvements. Please accept our apologies for the service you received in regard to your luggage, this concern has been addressed appropriately. I do hope that you contacted our Front Desk while you were here to advise them of the concerns you had for the heating in your guest room so that we could have had the opportunity to correct this.

The hotel does offer a full hot buffet breakfast, with made to order chef-to-guest meals. Our serving staff is always happy to bring you bread or toast, cheese is available daily on our buffet, and house-made peameal ham is always available.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
(204)946-6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com

Been to Fort Garry Hotel? Share your experiences!