“The only place to stay in Winnipeg” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fort Garry Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Garry Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Broadway Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0R3, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #26 of 63 hotels in Winnipeg
vancouver
“The only place to stay in Winnipeg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I am convinced that there cannot be a better hotel to stay in when in Winnipeg. Love the old world glamour the place exudes. The inside of the hotel is in stark contrast with the surroundings though (Downtown Winnipeg isn't my favourite place in the world). But the staff here are excellent, nice buffet breakfast too. I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends planning on travelling to Winnipeg.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Good overall value for the hotel. Alot of hidden charges that were annoying such as parking, and internet. There was no mention of that online when I booked the room.
Even so, hotel staff were freindly and food was very good. Location is excellent.
Downside is rooms look like the last refresh was mid 1960's. Not the best for a business traveller but if you like the old world charm this is a nice place to stay.
I will stay again on personal travel but not again when on business. Business amenities are just not there in your room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Overall an excellent hotel. The staff is helpful & friendly, the buffet breakfast is fantastic, & while some people have mentioned their rooms being old, mine on the fourth floor was spacious, clean & more than I would expect from most hotels. The recycling bin is in the closet which is fine, only I didn't notice it until my second night. Because the building is older there are some expected realities: the elevators are small & slow, but I normally use the stairs which were wide & accessible. The internet was a little wonky, as some parts of the hotel didn't seem as well networked as the rest, though there are two computers at the check-in that are free to guests, & in four days I never had to wait in line to use them. The parking is right at the back, therefore convenient; hotel offers valet for $15/day or park yourself for $12/day.

Do yourselves a favour & have the breakfast, which is often included with your stay.

manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I love this grand old hotel. The staff are extremely pleasant. The rooms are spotlessly clean. They just don't build hotels like this any more. Favorite things while staying here: coffee in a silver carafe brought to your room upon request...with a cookie, luxurious robes to lounge in, the most comfortable beds covered with a feather duvet and feather under pad, big plush pillows......charm, charm, charm. The breakfasts in the dining room are custom made by the chefs. Location is great, views spectacular, within walking distance to The Forks. You just gotta stay here when in Winnipeg.

Room Tip: Ask for the ninth floor for the best views.
Fairview, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed three nights here as part of Natural Habitat tour.
First room we had was sub-par, the heating/ac was very loud and did not generate much heat. Also could not connect to the internet. Signal was weak. We were on the 9th floor. Breakfast buffet is good, could use more fresh fruit. Service is excellent.
Location is very good.
Second room we had on return from trip was much better than the first. Larger and the heat/ac was fine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Lloydminster, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I recently spent 3 nights here while in town on business. The hotel is one of the former railway hotels, however unlike the majority of them this one is not run by a chain. Unfortunately, this shows. The room I had was with two double beds and was dated. The walls could have used a coat of paint and the carpet could have used a refresh. The television was an old Citizen model tube tv and I think it was nearing the end of its life. The bed was lumpy and somewhat uncomfortable as well. I only slept in one of the two double beds in my room, so I can't speak to the other one. The room I had was located directly across from the hallway elevator. Meaning I could hear it all night.It sounded like a train every time it rumbled up and past my floor. The other small issue I had was that they offer a coffee/tea service and they leave slips in your room if you want it delivered for the morning. In addition, it offers a complementary Winnipeg Free Press. I don't drink tea or coffee but wanted the paper, so the first night I was there I posted it on the door as per the instructions and no paper was ever delivered. So I didn't bother the other two nights I was there. The other problem is the fact that, while they offer Wi-Fi, it is administered by a third party. So unlike any other hotel I've stayed in, the charges couldn't simply be added to my room charges. Most hotels I have stayed in at check-in allow you to simply to buy the net for the period you are there. Here, the Fort Garry's internet provider charged $15 per day and it would die literally in 24 hours. I also share a bit of a blame on this one, I didn't read all the options and they charge $25 for 7 days. So instead I purchased 3 $15 days and thus was charged $45 for 3 days instead of $25. The Fort Garry needs to quit using a third party and move to a system that jives with their room billing charges.

Now this review sounds bad, but the hotel isn't all bad. The Palm Lounge was kind of cool. I ate there the last night I was at the hotel and it was a bit of an experience. The room is ornately decorated and features music that is of the same time period as the opening of the hotel. The waiter wore a uniform akin to the bellhops, not a typical waiter. The food was superb and for some reason made me feel like I was taken back in time and was on HBO's Boardwalk Empire. As I sat there waiting for my food, sipping my Guinness, I was imagining all the famous people who had once dined in the lounge. It was an oddly surreal experience.

It was nice that the hotel also had a giftshop. Weirdly, I have discovered this isn't standard in most hotels anymore. So it was nice to be able to grab a snack and a newspaper. The downside to this was that a) they didn't have debit and b) their magazine selection was lacking. But it was nice that they did have one all the same. It is also a bit of a diner too, I didn't eat there and it was always empty when I'd wander in but looked like a decent place to have a quick bite to eat.

I didn't drive so I couldn't comment on what parking was like. But local cabs sit in their entryway allowing for immediate trip to where ever you needed to go. The location of the Fort Garry is decent if you want to head to the Forks or over to Shaw Park for a Goldeyes game. It also is a short walk to the MTS Centre and City Place. There are also restaurants nearby like The Keg, Cafe 22 and the Ivory.

Depending where I needed to be in Winnipeg, I wouldn't discount staying at the Fort Garry again. I will just make sure to request a room far away from the elevators.

Room Tip: Stay far away from the elevators
Holt, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

This hotel has a very rich history and has been refurbished in recent times to bring it up to date. It still has an old fashioned feel to it which we were nervous about, having just come from a smart boutique hotel in Toronto, but we were bowled over by the atmosphere and feel of the place – we felt at times that we were actually experiencing all the good things about the style & décor of the 1920’s.
It also had a buzz about it, especially in the evenings when the piano was playing.
The staff were fantastic and the local city guide expressed the pride that local people have in this iconic building.
We didn’t have time to try out the Spa but were told by fellow guests that it is superb.
Our advice would be: don’t be put off by the style – embrace it and enjoy it, as we did.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Fort Garry Hotel? Share your experiences!