“If they only improved downtown Winnipeg...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Winnipeg

You added Delta Winnipeg to your Saves list
Delta Winnipeg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 St Mary Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3J2, Canada (Downtown Winnipeg)   |
Ranked #33 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
North Vancouver, Canada
“If they only improved downtown Winnipeg...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is very centrally located and it was a stone's throw from the office where I was sent to work for 12 days. Therein lies the problem. Downtown Winnipeg is not nice. The few people wandering the street after the offices close at 5:00 p.m. and during the week ends are not the type you would like to encounter. The place is desolate and uninviting if you would like to walk instead of taking taxis.

As for the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. They now have free wi-fi in the rooms, the gym is very ample, clean, with an array of machines and weights and also a good swimming pool and whirlpool.

I asked for a quiet room and got one on the 16th floor, away from the elevators and facing the side of the building and noticed that the windows are double glazed, so noise was almost unnoticeable. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable (maybe a little too soft for my taste) and the bathroom clean and spacious. I particularly enjoyed the warm floor in the bathroom.
The room also has an ironing board and iron, which is handy. It did not bother me that the TV was in a cabinet and I found that noise is insulated from room to room as I did not hear my neighbours. I did hear someone one evening walking on the room above back and forth, although I cannot understand why as the rooms are carpeted. It must have been someone very heavy footed!

The staff was super! Always smiling, ready to serve, very accommodating, and that is an important point. I could not say anything negative whatsoever about the people at the front desk, the concierge, etc.

However, nothing is perfect. Contrary to some other hotels, the price of the room does not include the breakfast. I found the breakfast overpriced and not that great. Last time I was in Winnipeg I stayed at the Humphrey's Inn and you can read my review of it here in Trip Advisor also. The breakfast there was included and it was great! Why can't the Delta which is a chain offer a better breakfast and why does it not include it in the price of the room?

Moreover at the Humphrey's I got a newspaper at my door every morning, which I could take to read while having breakfast. Delta has abolished providing newspapers to guests, so if you wish to read one while having breakfast one must go to the front desk and ask for it. I found it a little bothersome having to plead for a newspaper every day. The least they could do and it was my suggestion to them, is that they asked guests on arrival whether they would like to have the paper delivered to their door in the morning. Anyway, they said they have placed that on my profile and next time they will do so.

I also had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and was not impressed and did not considered it good value.

Would I return to the Delta Winnipeg? Certainly because of the free wi-fi, gym, and rooms but not for the food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Crystal H, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Winnipeg, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We apologize our food service was not showing at its best throughout your stay. Please know we have brought your concerns to the Director of Food & Beverage for immediate review.

We are thrilled, however, to hear you had such a great experience otherwise. Your comments provide excellent merit and value to many readers and we thank you for taking the time to provide this review.

We find that many guests don't require or prefer a full breakfast in their rate. With busy lives and tight schedules many prefer small, healthy, often grab-and-go options instead. For our guests who do still prefer the benefit of a full breakfast, we continue to provide a bed and breakfast rate all year. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, and we'll be sure to kick the food up a notch.

Delta Winnipeg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
SAUK RAPIDS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I conducted a seminar here and was very impressed with the staff and the hotel. Just a wonderful experience!!! until you walked outside... That being said, it is still a great place, because of the people working inside. I just don't appreciate being ridiculed because I won't give a drink of my coffee and then being told I "have no heart"...

Dear Gerald,

Even though you are not a guest of the hotel, we thank you for your comments.

Many visitors are naturally uncomfortable in a downtown urban setting, and we understand this. The actions of others is not something we have control or influence over, especially those outside our property/place of business. Your rating of our hotel based on the hospitality of members of the general public does affect our overall rating, and for this reason and we kindly request that you place your comments on another forum.

We are pleased to hear you had an otherwise excellent experience.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay here for our 2nd anniversary, using the Delta "Anniversary Special Rate" package.
They upgraded us, for free, to a "Signature Club" room. This gave us access to the Club Floor Lounge, with free evening appetizers and free continental breakfast, and complimentary parking.
After we finished eating at the Elephant & Castle, we went back to the room to discover they had dropped off a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket, glasses, and chocolate covered strawberries.
Nice touch!
All the staff I dealt with were absolutely first-rate. Some of the friendliest I have ever dealt with,ever! From the front desk, housekeeping and the girl in charge of the Club Floor Lounge.
If there was a downside, its that with this hotel being downtown, there was a LOT of emergency vehicle sirens throughout the night.
This is not the hotels fault, of course, just a fact of life for a downtown location.
Great place! I highly recommend this hotel.
We will definitely be returning for our anniversary next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on two years!

After reading your review, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. You are the reason we do what we do, to the extent we do it. We provide memorable experiences and your story affirms this.

We are happy to have played such a special role in your anniversary, and we look forward to topping it next year.

All the best!
Dryden, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel is not up to Delta standards. The room was dated and was not completely clean. There was what appeared to be black mold around the bathtub. Our room was close to the elevator and was fairly noisy.The only reason we stayed was because of the close proximity to the MTS Centre.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before paying.
Dear Valued Guest,

Delta Winnipeg is always within standards as set by the Delta Hotels brand. While our guestrooms are starting to show their age, we can assure you that the rooms are clean and comfortable.

The comment brings us concern as we hope any unsatisfactory conditions during your stay would have been reported so that we have the opportunity to correct the issue and turn your experience around. However, we will be sure to bring your comments to the attention of our housekeeping team for immediate review so the issue does not reoccur for you or any other guest in the future.

We encourage you to let us know about any unsatisfactory conditions during your future stays. We take great pride in what we do, and we want you to leave here with the best experience possible, and to have you return for many more stays. We hope you will allow us a second opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel has one and only advantage – it has an indoor bridge to the Convention Centre. Otherwise, it is a very average hotel. Small rooms, no fridges or minibars, simple small bathrooms. Toilet that makes a funny singing sound, long after flushing. Most upsetting, however, was the paper-thin door to the next room, from which I could hear every word. It was interesting at first, but lost its luster after midnight.
Otherwise, the room was clean and staff pleasant.
There is a great pub Elephant & Castle on the main floor.
Will I come back? Only if I get a (very) good deal and no connecting door. There are several better hotels in Winnipeg, even if I have to walk a few blocks to the Conference.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Crystal H, General Manager at Delta Winnipeg, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
You're right - our location cannot be beat, and either can our service.

The best news is we, as much as you and all our guests, are very much looking forward to our guestroom renovations coming in the very near future. Delta Winnipeg will see a transformation to the new Mode guestroom product exclusive to Delta Hotels.

We look forward to sharing more details soon, but be assured of changes in the very near future. We thank you for your comments, and look forward to providing you with a new kind of experience -- which won't be beat either.

Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and was very pleased with my stay. The hotel staff we're extremely helpful and accomodating. They even lent me some table clothes to use in our tradeshow booth during the event, at no charge. Free wireless internet in all of the rooms, comfortable beds, excellent service. I had no complaints during my stay and would recommend this hotel to other travellers without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We're always here for you, so you don't have to worry -- if that means lending table cloths, or helping however we can, we're up for the challenge. Your satisfaction is our highest concern.

We are pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I typically stay at the Delta once a year when the Winnipeg Wine Festival is held at the Convention Centre. We love the convenience of the skywalks.

The room has always been clean, and the bed always comfortable. I love the heated floors in the bathroom - just have to bug my hubby to put those in our bathroom! As others have said, the rooms could use a makeover, but this would be for cosmetics and updating only - the cleanliness and comfort are still here.

I did notice that although I tried to re-set the thermostat in our room to be slightly cooler than it was, the temperature in the room never changed: the thermostat display said it had been set for cooler, but the temperature stayed the same. Wasn't a big deal, though, so I didn't bother calling the front desk.

The regular parking elevator has, apparently, been out of commission for nearly a year. They are waiting on a part from Europe. In the meantime, hotel guests have use of a parking elevator in an adjacent office building. No problem there, just follow the signs.

We've never used the health club or the pool, so can't comment on those.

We have eaten at the bistro on the main floor - a little pricey, but the food is good. I have a special diet so I requested sweet potato fries at dinner and this was accommodated, so kudos for that.

Our stay coincided with our wedding anniversary so we were pleasantly surprised with champagne and strawberries when we returned to our room, compliments of the front desk team. I had booked the anniversary special rate, and upgraded to the Signature Club floor, but I didn't think this was part of the package. It certainly was a lovely surprise and greatly appreciated.

This was our first time on one of the two Signature Club floors. You access the floor by swiping your key card on the elevator. There's a lounge on the 12th floor. Complimentary appetizers are served there in the evening (I think it's 5 pm to 7 pm), and continental breakfast in the morning. In the evening, there was juice, tea/ coffee, can buy alcohol, veggie tray, cold cuts, chicken salad appy, and a hot appetizer that I don't remember. For breakfast, there was yogurt, cereal, pastries, muffins, hard boiled eggs, and I don't remember what else.

So, yes, I would return. And plan to, next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
The Wine Fest is a great event, and we're lucky to be in the heart of the action.

We are pleased to hear you had a great stay and we appreciate your candid review. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Delta Winnipeg

Been to Delta Winnipeg? Share your experiences!