“Absurd pet policy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Winnipeg South

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn Winnipeg South to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Winnipeg South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3109 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 4R6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay More, Save More!
Ranked #19 of 63 hotels in Winnipeg
Orillia, Canada
“Absurd pet policy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

I had been to this same hotel the year previously (2009) and there were no issues at all. In fact they didn't charge for the pets in 2009. For this 2010 visit I was travelling with a dog and had a crate for the dog to stay in while being in the room. I was staying for the local dog show...now I can see why many of the other exhibitors told me to change hotels when they heard I was staying here. It was a long trip to get to Winnipeg and at checking in I had forgotten to mention I had a pet. Two days after housekeeping cleaned the room, I observed a piece of paper with the pet note on not being allowed to walk the dog to pee or poop on their property. That the pet charge is for sanitizing.... The hotel directed people off the property and to use the 2 foot wide strip on the embankment of a ditch...the strip consisted of dirt/weeds/gravel and minimal grass on the side of the property against the gravel road. Most of weeds were prickly - not too dog friendly for paws. The hotel started to charge a pet fee which I was fine with - although it was 2 days after checking in and after they saw the large rosette in the room, that the dog had won at the show on the 2nd day there. But they claimed the charges are for sanitizing costs. On the last night of my stay I returned to find my room not vacuumed AT ALL. There were crumbs still on the carpet from chips, food and the dog crate impression in the carpet was present with a few hairs that led from it three feet away to the patio sliding door. I went to the front desk to ask the man what the pet charges were for if they didn't vacuum my room and sanitize it....oh and it was a smoking room by the way. I said the charge is not right and he should credit the pet charge for not doing what they said they charge for and do. Instead of following their Choice Hotel guarantee he told me I had to deal with the manager. Asking when the manager would be back, he said 7Am tomorrow. I explained my flight left Winnipeg at 545AM and he stood there dumbfounded. After feeling very frustrated and that he didn't deal with the situation immediatley...I went back to the room. Later I found the hotel chain's guarantee and 3 hours later at 830Pm I went back to the front desk, showed him the guarantee. Again he said I would have to talk to the manager. As I walked away I mentioned I wasn't happy and they charge for something they don't do. Then as I walked away he then, the last thing he did was offer to vacuum the room. Frustration was at its peak and I just walked away. I wrote to Choice hotels and this hotel manager explaining my dissatisfaction....and I immediately received a response from the chain that the hotel would respond to me. Two month later the hotel had not responded. I emailed Choice hotels head office explaining no response. 24 hours later I receive a back dated letter from the manager. The properties of the Adobe PDF file they saved the letter in indicated the creation date was saved close 5 minutes before it was sent on the email timestamp. The Manager obviously could not acknowledge some of the facts in my original complaint - and the manager still insisted his employee acted right away to resolve the problem. The letter the hotel manager wrote implies they are perfect and always right. I will never stay or recommend this hotel. Once they have your revenue, it's apparent that's all they want. It's not the $10 for the pet charge for the 1 night. It's the principle of this situation, how they reacted and how late they responded. Like I said, once they have your money, this place has your money. That's all they want, that's their principle

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

The hotel is tricky to access but after some skillful driving we managed to arrive at the entrance. The room was small but clean- quite a basic room.There was no fridge or microwave. The disappointing part was the breakfast as we were there at 7:00a.m. and the hotel was full so you would think they would be well stocked. There was no seating and most people had to eat in their rooms. There was only apple juice and no other alternatives. There was no tea, no fruit ,no jam and it seemed already at this hour they had run out of breakfast items.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
SUTTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Found this Comfort Inn a great stay for a few days in Winnipeg. Was attending a dog show and staff were very 'dog friendly'. Clean room, easy to find hotel, nice grounds and kept up also. All the staff were nice and friendly. Would certainly stay again if showing in Winnipeg.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

Though we couldn't get a first floor room with patio access, it was a very nice room. Clean and comfortable. The staff were great and the managers were helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

I booked this room on Priceline and got it for $40 US (on "Name your Price) so with taxes and fees in CDN $$ it was around $66.00. Listed prices on Expedia etc the price varied from $99 to $129 CDN. I realize I got a good deal. The front desk was very friendly and efficient and the room was very nice. One bed and all single rooms have sofa beds. I did not find the hotel noisy at all and had a great sleep. It is very close to Polo Park shopping area and very easy to get to (just follow signs to the Airport), Route 90) and make one left on Sargent. I also booked for Christmas and tried a lower price and was accepted with a price of $36.00 US. They have a shuttle to the Airport. Just book it the night before and they will give you a taxi voucher. On your return you tell the taxi you will get a voucher from the front desk. I thought the continental was comparable to most others with toast, bagels, muffins, cereals, eggs, juices and waffles. For a quick trip to the city (usually just overnights) what more could you ask for? As for no elevators....how many 2 storey hotels have one? I also have experienced that if you are nice and friendly to the front counter staff you will get it back in spades. I also saw the security guy and he did not seem creepy to me at all. I also inquired about the safety of vehicles left behind for extended stays and they have a designated parking area with cameras and security driving through it regularly at night. They told me they have had no recent issues with damage to vehicles. I have stayed at the CanadINN Polo Park for hockey and one of the parents staying with us had all his windows smashed on his brand new truck along with 7 other vehicles that night. And...that place is as well lit up as I have ever seen anywhere. But we all know how bad Winnipeg is for stolen and damaged vehicles. I have been told to hang a dream catcher from your rear view mirror and you vehicle won't be touched. Maybe its worth a try.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnipeg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

First of all, I had to carry all of my luggage up stairs and nobody would help me. The front desk people were very unfriendly and unhelpful when it came to directions. The security guard was creepy and called my room and came to my room for some reason.
The room was old and dingy with gross crusty white stains on the carpet, (amongst other gross stains) im sure you can use your imagination to figure out what it was...
There was popcorn and coffee stains on the table from previous guests.
There isnt a fridge or microwave in the rooms.
The sheets and blankets had holes in them and wern't washed when i asked them to.
No wireless internet and they dont have cables for you to borrow either.
The t.v's were VERY small ( 12'' ) and old.
The complimentry breakfast was pathetic and tasted like it was 10 years old.
The Bathroom towels wernt washed properly and had yellow stuff and make-up on them from past guests.
It is a very noisey hotel too, dont expect a good sleep.
I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!

• Liked — I didnt like anything about it
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, friendliness, accessability, internet,
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cihome, GM at Comfort Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
This review does not belong to the Comfort Inn Winnipeg South as we do not have a security guard. Our location offers wireless Internet. Also our staff are very friendly and if needed will assist guests upstairs with their luggage or try to move to a lower floor if possible.
calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

My family and I return to visit Winnipeg because we still have family living there. We happened to stay at the Comfort Inn the first time and the trip I am currently booking will be our 5th stay. The rooms are clean and quiet except sometimes a little busy early on a weekday morning because quite a few semi truckers stay there. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The continental breakfast also includes hard boiled eggs for protein.
There is also free access to the internet. The long distance phone calls are expensive though as already listed.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — wood frame building
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn Winnipeg South? Share your experiences!