“Decent Sleep, Poor Food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 York Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0N9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
New Brunswick, Canada
“Decent Sleep, Poor Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The BW Charterhouse is located downtown. We expected to pay for extra parking which was no surprise. When we settled in to our spacious, comfortable quiet room, the front reception even called us to confirm every thing was to our satisfaction. We went to the restaurant downstairs for an inexpensive meal. (They have two restaurants on the premises.) My Chicken Roti was so salty I couldn't eat it and my husband's 1/4 chicken leg was stale. The waitress was kind enough to give us another option and offered a serving of chocolate cake. When we arose in the morning, the room coffee seemed very weak. I went down stairs to purchase coffee at the same restaurant we visited the night before. After paying $6 two take outs, it was just as weak as the room coffee. Funny how the small things about an overnight's stay can be a large disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Janet B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the room comfort. I have reviewed your comments with our Executive Chef. My Restaurant Managers and Supervisors provide me and the Chef with a report daily of any meals that are not at an acceptable standard. I was aware of your meals, and the Chef reviewed the comments with the staff who prepared your meals. Please accept our apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Dauphin, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was just a little disappointed at the appearance of the exterior of the hotel. It looked fairly plain and generic. However, the lobby and the rooms were excellently appointed. We had a comfortable stay in a single-king room with balcony. The only other complaint we had was that our neighbours on the next balcony were rather loud, but that is minor.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room. The balcony view is very nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I am glad you enjoyed the balcony. In the summer the balconies are definitely a popular request. We hope you will come an see us again soon.
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I made plans to overnight in Winnipeg to see the Winnipeg Art Gallery and the Forks Market before continuing our trip. I chose the Best Western for location and because they also provide an airport shuttle. The lobby is nothing to write home about - but the desk staff on duty (Corrie) made us feel right at home, with clear directions for a choice of restaurants within walking distance (including the hotel Rib Room) and our visit to the WAG. The room was welcoming and well appointed - quality bedding, comfortable mattresses and fully supplied with fridge, etc. The a.m. desk staff were also pleasant and accommodating, immediately assisting with our requests (late check-out, storage of baggage, parcel in the fridge) with no sense of "oh, I suppose"... And the hotel channels included the FIFA game! What more could one ask?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments. We pride ourselves on offering superior customer service and I am proud of my staff. We hope to see you again soon.
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I was actually going to write a pretty decent review until after I checked out and remembered I had left a couple bottles of alcohol in the fridge. I called back to reclaim it and they told me they were almost empty so they dumped it. The housekeeping manager either flat out lied to me or one of her housekeepers lied to her. One of the bottles was almost completely FULL and she tried to convince me it was empty.... uhm no sorry, I know how much was in there. Don't leave anything important behind or the dishonest housekeeping staff may just feel like it is theirs. I'm not one to be mean to get my way but this really pissed me off. While I'm at it I should probably mention that there were a couple really gross looking bugs crawling on the floor also... Didn't really bother me but If you don't like bugs then I should probably let you know about that.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Janet B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Sir,

I apologize that the items you left behind in the room were not available when you realized that you had left them behind. We are legislated to adhere to all Health and Safety guidelines as set out by the government. It is our policy that any food and beverage items which are left in the room and have been opened must be disposed of as we have no way of determining whether the goods have not been tainted or tampered with. I can assure you that this was the case as the bottles had been opened.

Any goods that are not opened are itemized and held for a period of three months.

I appreciate your comments regarding bugs. This is a situation that we take very seriously and I did have our Extermination company due a complete and thorough check of the rooms. I am pleased to report that no infestation was found.
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Ask Grant for anything and he will help you in some way. He has marvelous detailed knowledge of the city of Winnipeg. He will appropriately suggest alternatives if he feels you may be on the wrong track. Believe me, why not take advice from someone who actually lives here?

He comes up with special ideas and really, he is a specialist at what he does and because of that, the service he offers is spectacular.

Thanks, Grant. You made my stay at the hotel special. Because of your knowledge of the city, I was able to find some great spots to visit when I wasn't working! Cheers!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for acknowledging the customer service that your received during your stay from Grant.

He is truly an asset to our organization and I will ensure that I share this review with him and all his colleagues.

We appreciate your comments.
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Located in downtown Winnipeg. Close to restaurants and transportation. Comfy bed, adequate fitness center and good wifi. What would have made my stay better would have been complimentary breakfast like other locations

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I appreciate that you took the time to write a review for our hotel.

We have been surveying our guests and found that most of our guests wanted a room rate without breakfast as they felt it was not a service they would use. They preferred rates that did not include breakfast. However, for guests who prefer to have their breakfast included we offer a Bed and Breakfast. This rate may be booked on bestwestern.com or by calling the hotel directly. We try our best to accommodate the needs of all our guests.

We hope to see you again soon.
Sooke, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Not only does this hotel claim to be a BW they have the audacity to say they belong to the BW Plus family. The only redeeming quality is that it is downtown - sort of.
Front desk check in not friendly and certainly not helpful. Fortunately the check out person was much better.
I made a request for hangers, they came over an hour later. I also informed the front desk that the bathroom sink was not draining properly - it was never dealt with. The room we had, although on the top floor, overlooked the parking lot where motorcycles were revving engines.
To add insult we had to pay for parking and breakfast was not included as it was at every other BW we have stayed at even if we did not always partake of it.
The only 'amenity' we used was the laundry facilities which must only be cleaned by guests who bother to check the lint trap in the dryer - like me. No pool but there is a VLT (I had to ask what that was). As for the beds they were alright but only double beds. Yes, that was listed, as was paying for breakfast, but the whole experience was just so unexpected and we were there for two nights.
My daughters and I were sorely disappointed with this hotel and I will never recommend it.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere! Some of the lower floors appeared to be in the process of being ripped up and from out...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I appreciate the comments and I will work with my team to ensure that we improve in the future.

We have several rooms under renovation at the present time and the beds were standing to facilitate the work.

We apologize and hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Charter House Hotel Downtown Winnipeg? Share your experiences!