“There's got to be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria Inn

You added Victoria Inn to your Saves list
Victoria Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1808 Wellington Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3H 0G3, Canada (St. James Industrial)   |
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Kingston, ON
“There's got to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

People of my vintage will easily recognize the interior of the Victoria Inn: the single sink bathroom, the hair-dryer on the wall, the coffee-machine in the bathroom, the cigarette burns along the sink, the lack of an arm-chair, the one lamp in the bedroom beside the wall fixtures, the noisy heater/cooler in the wall. Why Yes! It's the 1970s big chain standard room, and in standard size, which makes it look small now.
With all that, a 1970s room was not uncomfortable and this one wasn't, although under the up-to-trend piling of pillows, the mattress just coped with my 190 lbs.
So it would just rate a pass-3 (in the rating above) if other things weren't offputting.
Three (3) small thin bath towels in the bathroom for two is not really welcoming. Charging $18 before tip for one tea, toast and jam, one coffee, one egg and toast on top of a $160 room (after taxes) rate isn't providing good value.
And this hotel has totally given up on being pleasing in its decor. It is built around two large square courtyards, one of which houses a water-theme park (I, being advanced in years, remember when the Holiday Inns closed the inner courtyard of their two storey hotels to put in a swimming pool: 1980s - same vintage no doubt), and the other a new lawn bordered by bright dark red bark chip, not a flower, not a tree in sight. In the long corridors, that run along all 4 sides of the hotel, at approx. 20 rooms per side, all decked in the same unending beige, there isn't one picture anywhere. All doors, all 260 of them, are brown.
And the architecture itself offers the best example of stubborn dedication to the 90 degree angle north of the Italian Mussolinian architecture, rows and rows of similar unadorned windows.
The lobby offers an airline-like counter for registration, but there isn't ONE seat.
BUt: our shuttle ride was the shortest ever: 4 mn from counter to counter. The hotel is very close, and the shutlle, on demand, was right there.
However, I could not recommend this to a friend: there's got to be a less depressing hotel nearby.

Room Tip: Avoid room 370, it is situated above the incessant noise of the machinery of what I presumed was the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
victoriainnmanager, Director of Sales at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for your review.
As a result of your review we speed up one of our projects to add some additional foliage to our Centre court yard. This has already been completed. Just to announce a few other things that are one the go: We just recently finished all the guest hallway wall paper and the art work is on its way which is why there was none in the corridors during your stay.
We are also in the process of re wallpapering guest rooms and changing to new doors and locks, thou they will still are brownish. We will also be working on replacement of carpeting in many areas through the summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had booked a Birthday party for an individual I support for her 65th Birthday. The staff team was a tremendous help in making this a successful event. The team was very friendly and helpful during the event and everything ran smoothly. The food was excellent and the room was decorated beautifully. I will always recommend the Victoria Inn for any events that you are planning. Excellent job.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Nordegg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed here several times last year, and recommended it to my employer to be their hotel of choice for clients traveling through Winnipeg. I found the rooms to be excellent, the check-in to be smooth and trouble free and the service top notch. I continue to recommend it to everyone and will stay there whenever I am passing through Winnipeg.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up tend to be quieter. I had a nice view of the Winnipeg Airport at night the last time...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you we appreciate your loyal business.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have attended professional conferences on several occasions at the Victoria Inn in Winnipeg, MB. I would recommend this hotel for the following reasons: the staff have always been efficient, friendly and welcoming, the food was very good, and lots of free parking. The hotel also is conventiently located near the airport, and a short drive to shopping and other attractions in the city.

Room Tip: I was at the hotel for conferences only and therefore did not stay in rooms, but the Victoria Inn wa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
We thank you for your feed back.
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I keep coming back because I love the staff and service I receive, each and every time I visit!!! The staff make it easy to arrange for your desired room and the shuttle to the airport makes travelling a breeze.

Room Tip: I always rent one of the suites when I am in on business and it makes holding meetings super easy!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
victoriainnmanager, Director of Sales at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I would recommend travellers to stay at the Victoria Inn, Winnipeg, Manitoba. The close proximety to the airport makes it a convenient location. I have stayed at the hotel for many conferences and also for a relaxation retreat with my family. We have always had efficient and friendly check ins and check outs. We are always offered wonderful accomodations and the best rate possible with upgrades if available. The hotel has been recently renovated which certainly makes it very attractive. We have visited the restaurant and the food is very good as well. There is always a free local newspaper which is a welcome resource for those who are from out of town. Karen

Room Tip: Rooms on the corners are very nice. Also rooms higher up are nice as well.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review we really appreciate your business.
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

As the event planner for our company fundraising banquet, I was very happy with the excellent service, quality of food and space that Victoria Inn and specifically our Banquet Sales Associate provided for us. As we worked together to plan for 450+ people, there was the right mix of compliance with our requests and suggestions for improvement. I was especially impressed that it took 90 minutes to change from the rental group before us to when we could open the doors for our event. All staff and management were involved and set up was flawless. Our protein portion on the plates was too large but the whole meal was very tasty. Table servers were very courteous and professional.
A few of us were able to stay the night and relax in the hot tub.....and fly down the waterslide.....before getting a good nights sleep in a very comfortable suite room. We will be back next year!

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite on the top floor was quiet, spacious and comfortable!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Most reviews of our hotel usually focus on our guest rooms it nice to read that we have satisfied customers for our convention facilities as well.

Been to Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!