“Oasis at the mall” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #150 of 1,390 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Prairie Ink A bistro-style restaurant that started in 1996, as a wholly-owned part of McNally Robinson Booksellers. Local Whenever possible we use local produce and ingredients. We try to use in-season produce as much as possible to support local producers. Events & Entertainment We have hosted over 5000 author events, featuring local, national and international writers, speakers and artists. Healthy Choices We offer celiac friendly choices. Our baking and desserts are made in-house daily by our bakers. We use farm-fresh eggs from grain-fed chickens and Manitoba sourced menu items in season. Environment Our take-out containers are enviro-friendly and compostable. Our UTZ coffee (an industry-led coffee certification program) ensures farmers are treated fairly.
“Oasis at the mall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and I always come here for lunch and have had the tortiere the last few times. We lobe it and we always buy the African soup to take home. Also a favorite of ours.
This was our first dinner at Prairie Ink in many years. We had a couple of bad experiences in the past but things have much improved since our last dinner visit. The menu has changed quite a bit. It used to be more burgers and sandwiches but now it's a full on dinner menu. We started with crab stuffed prawns. A winner for both of us who love seafood and we also had the ribs. Beef short ribs bathed in a tangy barbecue sauce with just a hint of grilled smokiness. Dare I say the best in the city? They were topped with mini onion rings that I would like to eat a plate full of. Our server suggested the sangria and we enjoyed it very much. Refreshing and fruity and ice cold. It was hot out so our drinks went down with ease. The hostess at the door informed us that there was some kind of musical event going on this night but we didn't really catch what it was. We were heading out to a move after so we didn't pay much attention. I had the steak and mushrooms for my main dish and my wife had one of their feature summer salads, the Thai Peanut. We shard our food and shared our sangria when the music began. This was a show made up of armature songwriters that were performing their music for the crowd. Despite the place being full we got excellent service and sat and enjoyed the show. Both of us were amazed at the talent that we saw and heard. We had no idea there were so many singers and songwriters undiscovered in Winnipeg! One after another they just kept coming. I'm not sure how many we saw but before we knew it we were too late to catch the movie but we didn't care. W stayed right until the end and closed the place out. It was a great evening of food and music. We also loved the art that was hanging on the walls. We are also art lovers and this has always been one of the things that we look forward to seeing when we come to this restaurant. The art changes from time to time so we are always interested to see what's new. If you're looking for a great place to dine inside or on the patio they have one of those too. Prairie Ink is an oasis in the city of fin food, wine and many other things. We will be back soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Be ignored while eating good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here on four occasions now and each time I am pleased with the food but underwhelmed by the service. It appears the staff are afraid to smile and service can be on the slow side (30min for Bison Burger). A restaurant can be hip without making guests feel they are a nuisance. What a shame!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg, Canada
“Perfect local lunch spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Met a friend here for lunch today and was not disappointed. I had the grilled veggie sandwich with the house salad and everything was delicious. For $9 you definitely can't go wrong. My friend had the quinoa salad and I was envious of how good it looked! I'll probably try that next time. Patio is a great option on a nice day - I forgot they had one. It wasn't busy when we arrived but I know other times it's been a 20-30 minute wait for a table and they don't take reservations during the day unless there are more than 6 people in your party.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
winnipeg
“Omg pastry on Tuesday...yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Airy meringues, luscious tortes, a chocolate bite to savour (think Sacher) and sooo much to try next time!

Visited July 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Tourtiere - the perfect luncheon at Prairie Ink Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

For my beautiful wife (BW) and I a perfect luncheon contains modest sized portions (at an equally modest price!), original quality menu items, a good glass of wine, speed of service and of course gluten-free options (for the BW). Finding somewhere to meet these standards, particularly the 'original quality menu items' is always a challenge. We went to Prairie Ink for luncheon on Tuesday and were not disappointed. It ticked all the boxes!

Prairie Ink is a bistro style restaurant housed within the independent bookstore McNally Robinson, based at 1120 Grant Avenue Winnipeg. Opened in 1996 Prairie Ink has become established as a very popular venue for everything from breakfasts, brunches, lunch, tea and dinner.

For my main I selected the Tourtiere, the traditional French-Canadian spiced meat pie. It was made with puff pastry - all baking at Prairie Ink is made in-house by resident bakers. The pastry was superb, the Toutiere size a perfect one portion. It was served with a side house salad (spring mix, julienned carrots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, house apple poppy seed dressing) - $11.

My BW choose the Prairie Ink Grilled Cheese, a wonderful variation on the classic dish, containing Brie, Cheddar, Goat Cheese, avocado puree, tomato, a shave of red onion, bacon and of course gluten-free bread - $10. To accompany our meal we were served a very pleasant Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (Errazuriz), $7 for a 6oz glass.

What more can I say? An un-rushed atmosphere, time to linger over coffee, superb quality food, a pleasant glass of wine, and a cost of less than $50. We will definitely return for further lunches.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere