“Delicious, consistent food and service with a BIG smile!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Resto Gare

Resto Gare
630 des Meurons, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3H 2P9, Canada (Central St. Boniface)
(204) 237-7072
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 1,298 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central St. Boniface
Winnipeg, Canada
“Delicious, consistent food and service with a BIG smile!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Resto Gare is one of my favourite Winnipeg restaurants. The original attraction to Resto Gare was the desire to eat in their restored passenger train dining car. What draws me back is the friendly and efficient staff, the incredibly delicious food and the ambiance that resonates throughout the restaurant - inside and out, rain or shine!

Winnipeg, Canada
“My perfect first date..."”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

"This is where I was taken for our first date and the experience was everything I could have imagined. We sat next to a cozy fire and were greeted with such warmth by employees. The lights were low and the environment very relaxed. The food was excellent including wine. The environment set the tone for a relationship that continues to blossom and bless. This restaurant will always have a special place in my heart."

Winnipeg, Canada
“A top restaurant in Winnipeg. We will remember it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

We loved our time at the charming Resto Gare a few nights ago. We were stunned to find a place like "2 Kellys Café" above something prestigious like the Resto Gare! Un-believable!

Resto gare is apparently on a totally new menu (see their website), that was just installed in the last few months. Although we had the off-menu specials anyway, we're fans of their cooking!

I had a steak with truffled potatoes, and my wife had the risotto with prawns special. Both were great. It was a taste experience. Although I might have done things differently if I was cooking, (i.e. I love BBQ sauce on steaks) this was a fantastic meal, and they are bringing their "A" game. If you enjoy French cuisine, this will satisfy you 100%.

Honestly, I didn't know what to pick from the things on the menu, but my wife assured me that they would all be good.

The deserts were great. I had a yummy lemon tart, flavourful but not face-puckering, and my wife had the red velvet cake. The cake was "the best cake I've had since I was 13" and she liked it too.

Another note, their drinks menu designed by their officially certified sommelier is really intriguing... there are tons of options, and all look really delicious. They almost made me wish I drank more alcohol just to try them all. Plus, the menu has historical pictures which are nice for conversation.

We sat in the train part, and we would recommend it at sunset. Marvellous. The only comment I could make is that I wish they would replace the plaques with artwork, but the décor is really nice overall.

We will be recommending this place to friends for a romantic night out. It's worth the money!

Winnipeg
“meh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Good but not great french food, from good but not great staff, in a good but not great environment.... Can't say I will be rushing back, but it is still one of the better french restaurants in winnipeg (behind Oui, and provence bistro).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary Alberta Canada
“This place is magic !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

We went to Resto Gare on a busy Saturday night. We had reservatons and arrived 15 minutes early. The receptionist seated us in a brief 5 minutes after our arrival. Soon the waiter delivered fresh bread with a dipping sauce of garlic, balsamic vinegar and a quality olive oil. He took our order and answered all questions in a friendly way - the Resto Gare is an attitude free zone. There is a good selection of appetizers, mains and desserts. The wine list is equally as good. Chef Scott Bagshaw knows exactly what he is doing. All food items came as requested. In this case they were: a country pate, onion soup, bison and a full rack of lamb. The sides are a delight in and of themselves. Try the mint peas, green beans, or truffle potatoes for a real change from typical bistro fare. It is good to see a young chef try new things and deliver them in an understated way to the dining public. Service here is professional. Service is in either language - French or English. Desserts are served via a cart and are rich and compliment the rest of the menu. Food prices at Resto Gare are fair as are the wine prices. Situated just across the river in St. Boniface this restaurant is well worth the 5 minute drive from downtown Winnipeg. As visitors from Calgary we look forward to visiting Winnipeg again and the opportunity of returning to Resto Gare; we would recommend it to anyone looking for good bistro fare, well prepared, delivered professionally at a good price in an upscale environment.