“Noisy!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Canad Inns Fort Garry

You added Canad Inns Fort Garry to your Saves list
Canad Inns Fort Garry
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1824 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2G2, Canada   |
Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
winnipeg
“Noisy!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

We spent one very disappointing, sleepless evening at this hotel!

We booked a "theme suite" as we have two small children. The first room we entered had the cover missing off of the heat register, exposing several pieces of sharp metal. We were moved next door. The room itself was dark and dingy, no natrual light. The "space" paintings on the wall were chipped.

The pool area is very basic, minimal, nothing at all special. It was less than what we expected.

Dingy room and boring pool aside, out biggest complaint was the NOISE. There is a hallway directly above the children's "suite" and there was CONSTANT noise and traffic. The hotel is obviously poorly laid out/constructed as the walls were literally shaking and rumbling like thunder, making it impossible for our children to sleep. AVOID room 126 at all costs!!! Our phone calls to the front desk did not help; "We do nothing about noise until after 11pm."

Another example of the less than stellar customer service came when I was trying to check out, holding our infant in my arms. The attendant started to assist me but when the phone rang, she tended only to the person over the phone, leaving me standing there for several minutes. No apology. When I told her of our disappointing stay, she said she would pass our concerns on to management. It's been two weeks and as expected, no follow-up from the hotel.

Don't waste your money here- stay somewhere where you won't be disappointed, like the Hotel Fort Garry.

• Disliked — Noise, dingy room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
El Cajon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Three of us were visiting Winnipeg on business. This was scheduled at the last minute and we had a difficult time finding a room closer to downtown, our first choice.

The reason we had a difficult time finding a room was due to the Canadian Curling Championships going on at the stadium in town. Hah! We Californians didn't even expect this explanation when we asked our client about the hard time finding rooms. Kinda funny.

My rooms was set-up for a person in a wheel chair which really didn't impact me personally. The room is probably along the lines a Comfort Inn. Nothing fancy, but quite functional.

I do warn you about the blow-dryer though. Somehow my hair got caught in it and I was just about scalped. Ouch!!! Be careful. ;-)

The Tavern on the premises was pretty decent, the hotel restaurant was decent as well.

No business center though.

We will most likely stay at The Inn at the Forks for our next visit. Closer to our client and downtown.

• Liked — The bed, the tavern
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

Me and My man have gone to many places but we've never tried this hotel. They have many themes for rooms. They let us see all of them before deciding that the Roman room was the perfect for the occasion. I also wouldn't mind triing the southern seas... it's got a hawiian feel. The staff we're helpful to our every question & requests. They sure suprised me with excellent service and attention.

Stayed November 2007
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

I used to live in Winnipeg and have been to the CanadInns Fort Garry for meals at the restaurant many times, but we had never stayed in the hotel before. We came back this weekend to visit family and friends and decided to stay here instead of with relatives so our kids and their cousins could use the pool. What a mistake!

I made our reservation by telephone a few weeks in advance, but when we arrived they had no record of our reservation and were quite snarky about it ("Are you sure you're at the right hotel?") We should have taken this as a sign of bad things to come and gone elsewhere while we had the chance. They did, however, have kid's theme suites still available so we checked in and since it was late we wanted to put the kids straight to bed.

Immediately upon entering the room (114) we noticed a bad smell in the room. We were all tired and hoped it would dissipate, but it never did. There were several brown stains on the carpet which I HOPE were chocolate, but they formed a trail from the bed to the bathroom door so the possibility alone is pretty creepy. The next day we were out of the hotel, and when we returned (the room had been cleaned in our absence) there was something brown smeared on the wall that was not there when we left that morning. I went to the front desk and asked for a new room (it still smelled bad). The woman at the desk gave me a key to another room (108) and told me to go take a look at it and then come back and let her know if we wanted to change rooms. We had a party to go to right away and were in a hurry to leave, but I gave the new room a quick look and it seemed better - the carpet was cleaner and it didn't stink. My husband and I moved all our stuff to the new room and we went out for the evening.

When we returned that night, we tucked the kids in their bunks and got ready for bed. When I pulled the covers back I saw BLOOD stains on the bedspread! Ewwww! I immediately called the front desk and they brought some new linens (which we had to change ourselves) but they did volunteer to comp that night's stay. In the morning when taking a shower my husband discovered that the drain was clogged with hair and gunk and the water was backing up. We were so thoroughly disgusted that we checked out early and will NEVER EVER go back!

Besides these issues, I have to add that the first morning we ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant there was a short curly hair (which was not mine) in my scrambled eggs. The whole property is showing signs of wear and tear, and the kids suites in particular are suffering from neglect. Our sink was not anchored to the counter so that whenever you turned the tap on or off the whole sink would slide around. The finish on the tub was chipped right down to the metal, and the drain was broken and full of crud. The rooms are freezing cold and you can't adjust the temp. If you want to buy a movie the only option is to purchase a 4-movie card for $10.50 BUT you don't get to choose your movie, you have to watch whatever happens to be on. Our phone didn't work. The tv picture in both rooms was fuzzy. There were old pieces popcorn from a previous guest on the bathroom floor. The staff we dealt with were listless and apathetic and not particularly helpful. I wasn't expecting something fancy, but I expected a lot better (and cleaner!!!) than this for $119 a night. This place is absolutely revolting, don't waste your money!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing, it was horrible! Unless you like filth, don't stay here.
  • Disliked — Hated everything, this place needs a visit from the health inspector.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Regina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2006

We'd stayed at this hotel before and had no complaints. We had stayed in a one bedroom suite. We had our son with us also on that trip & it was great. However, this latest trip to the hotel, we decided on the kids' theme room because we thought it would be cute for our son (he's 19 mths old). Plus, we needed a microwave, which the regular suite does not have. The kids' theme room we were in (the space one) was extremely small. There were four bunkbeds crammed into a tiny, separate bedroom and there was a double bed in the other part of the hotel room for the parents. There is no way 6 people could comfortably stay in that room. We were cramped with just the 3 of us. The soundproofing was basically nonexistent & the location of our room was very noisy, unsupervised kids were running up & down the hallway, sometimes until 11:00 at night. Our son, who normally can sleep through anything, woke often the first night because of the noise, so we were all exhausted the next day. He slept better the next night, but I still found it too noisy for myself. For a family, I would not recommend a kids' theme room unless you're willing to put up with noise and cramped quarters. Go with a regular suite & save yourself the frustration.

• Stayed May 2006
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

I rang from England late to attend a conference and all the conference rate rooms had gone, but they gave me a family suite (space theme!) at the same price. It was on a corridor next to the pool which could have been a problem for some, but as I swim, fine. Would be great for families as room had bunk bed section for kids, microwave etc, and of course the space man! Pool had great water slide. Near the university where I was going, and the staff at breakfast time were great as was the food. I noticed that the local police and other local dropped in for coffee and pancakes which must say something. All in all I would say a great place to stop if passing through.

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

The Canad Fort Garry was a really good find for us and our two children. We had a few bumps along the way on our vacation and dropped in cold without a reservation here. Not only did they have rooms available, they had a one-bedroom suite open for us, and it was quite nice. The kids had their own bed and TV, and we had the bedroom. The restaurant has a basic menu, but does offer a sizeable buffet daily. The food was pretty good, reasonably priced and fairly quick. The hotel has a large waterslide and pool area, full of kids just like ours. They are located on the Pembina Highway, providing a direct link to downtown Winnipeg and other major roads. They also have a computer in each room that offers some free games. Be careful not to activate the internet fee if you don't want on the net. Overall, we would come back again.

Been to Canad Inns Fort Garry? Share your experiences!