“WORST NIGHT EVER!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Oak Inn

You added Royal Oak Inn to your Saves list
Royal Oak Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3130 Victoria Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba R7B 3Y3, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Brandon
“WORST NIGHT EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Horrible experience from start to finish. Booked the " wheat kings package" online . When we checked in at 4 ( check in time is 3 ) our room was not ready, and they had no idea where our tickets for the hockey game were. We were not given the "Souvenir" that was promised along with our wheat kings package either. We went out and got back around 12 and found no parking ! Went inside to ask about the parades and the lady was very rude and told me that was strictly for VIP and suites, and to " look around some more" for parking . Then the room was WAY to hot to sleep , our thermostat was turned completely off. At 4 in the morning for about an hour a group of idiots were yelling and laughing until I finally got a hold of the front desk and they sent security(another 10 mins later) . Then we FINALLY fall asleep And 530 am the fire alarm goes off through the entire hotel. Everybody was in the lobby, including many parents with small children and nobody knew what was going on. The fire department came and eventually the alarm was silenced but still nobody actually said it was clear and safe, we just had to assume ! I have never had such a bad experience in a hotel, and for 155$ go stay somewhere else! If you do decide to stay here, do not get " pool side " rooms either! The walls are paper thin and all you hear is kids screaming and yelling all day. Absolutely horrible experience . Rude staff.

• Stayed March 2013
Jason R, General Manager at Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I have read your review a few times and would like to apologize for the lack of service during your stay. We have security on all night and we need to be better in keeping the noise down and serving our guests better during the fire drills. The underground parking is reserved for our guests that stay in the suites as it is an upgrade. We do have 400 parking spots on site, our Front Desk staff should have been better in pointing out where the best place to park would be for you. I thank you for taking time to write this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Yellowknife, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Was wanting to stay at the Victoria Inn on the same street. My friend wanted to do the Royal oak inn. We checked in on thursday night. Walked up the hall to our room and the place looked terrible. Wall paper hanging, just looked tattered. Our rooms were nice snd clean. Beds comfy. Four pillows each bed. Wifi didnt work work with my bb playbook for some strange reason..overall first night ok.
Friday morning we wake up to scratching and tapping sounds on the in the hallways. We were not told when we booked that the hotel was under renovations. Well i felt cheated. Had i known i would have insisted going to the vic inn. I was looking forward to sleeping in on friday morning as i was out for birthday celebrations the night before. I'm so glad i didn't spend any money at their bar Houston's or their lounge Echo.
We booked for two nights, We had many appointments booked for friday so we didnt have time to pack our stuff and move to another hotel. Big mistake. Turns out, a few rooms across from us were rented out to a group with at least five kids. And these kids could not decide where they wanted to be. They were up and down the halls knocking on doors slamming doors, in out, in out constantly. We counted the amount of times the door banged and got up to fifteen in five minutes alone. Imagine three or four kids running up the hall to the room across from yours, knocking on the door, calling out names going inside for a few seconds then out running back down the hall to the drink machine back to the room, and back out again. Wait a few minutes and repeat. It drove us insane. We put in a complaint security came and went, but door banging and running went on. Were the parent's drunk? Omg. We went for supper. Came back to the same noise..... Lasted until shortly after midnight. When we checked out we did mention this to the clerk who apologised but only offered us a comment card. Rooms after CAA discount and taxes were 140 bucks a night. That's a lot of money for a noisy hotel under renovations.
Continental breakfast was a la carte friday, very good but saturday it was rubbery scrambled eggs chewy bacon and dry pancakes from the buffet. Great coffee however, and rooms were cleaned well.
Really wish that family would have been giving rooms with adjoining doors.
Dissapointing stay at an expensive hotel for my birthday weekend.

Room Tip: We tried getting a room away from the pool to avoid kids. It didnt work. ,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason R, General Manager at Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I apologize for the renovations. We are currently undergoing minor renovations to the Hotel.
IE: Wallpaper, carpet, ceiling and a new exercise room. We do have signs up throughout the Hotel letting customers know about this and we obviously must do a better job of letting people know upon check in.
We do have security as well in the Hotel who monitor the hallways and outside. Although they cannot be everywhere at once they do need to focus on the areas that have more activity. we will be reviewing this with our security staff.
Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Cheers.
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed for two nights as part of a business trip to Brandon. Front desk staff was OK, but didn't tell me my room in the tower gave me access to underground parking - I had to go back and ask. Some renovations under way in the older part of the hotel.

Room was a very nice one bedroom suite. Heating system was rather noisy but the bed was OK and the room was generally quite nice - I was in the newer tower attached to the original part of the hotel.

Breakfast was included and it was OK. Service good but food only average - not a buffet - you could pick what you wanted from the menu.

Whirlpool was large but not hot enough, but then they never are.

Room Tip: Get one in the tower, not the older part of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review. Underground parking is a plus for staying in the newer part of the Hotel and should be reviewed with you on arrival.
Minor renovations are underway and should be completed very soon.
I will look into the setting for the heat on the hot tub.
Thanks Again!
Dryden, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent 2 nights that had multiple problems. We were at the back of the hotel next to the parking lot that allows diesel trucks to park right under the windows. Turns out we were directly across the hall from the service room for the chamber staff so if the diesels didn't waken you, the staff walky-talkies certainly did. I asked to be moved after the first night, but instead of moving us, they called at 2 o'clock and there was no one there so they did not hold a room or move us but left us there for another disaster night! I made it perfectly clear that we wanted to move, but at 9:00Am it was no problem and at 5:00pm when we were back from the Reunion activities we attended, there was no room available. I will never stay at this hotel again and I'm sure the management couldn't care less. We plan on returning to Brandon for another class reunion but will find a new hotel. We left a comment card but have heard nothing. The rooms were clean and comfortable but the noise and smell of diesel was not acceptable. Sorry, this place gets an F.

Room Tip: Stay away from the service rooms and the back parking lot. Check your room location by sight and mak...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for writing the review and filling out a comment card. The comment cards go to Head Office for review and then will make it's way back to the Hotel.
My #1 Priority is the customer so I do care 100% about your stay. We should have been quicker to move you rooms and to try and make sure you had a better stay. The trucks have a designated spot to run and where you stated was not one of them. We try to inforce this as it is a noice and smell nobody wants but sometimes we can't get to them all. We have since made our security team spend more time outside the Hotel looking for issues like this.
If you would like, please call myself at the Hotel and we can discuss further.
Thanks Again.
Moose Jaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stay at this facility on every business trip to Brandon (about every 6 weeks), and am always pleased with the Royal Oak. Rooms are large, well appointed and very clean. Love the covered parking in the winter, too. Echo Diningroom is great for dining in, or room service. Never have had any problems here.

Room Tip: Rooms in new addition are larger, and away from the pool area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jason R, General Manager at Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thanks You very much for your positive comments in your review, I appreciate it! I'm glad to hear your stays at the Royal Oak Inn are good ones. Please ask for myself upon your next visit as I would be more than happy to meet you and maybe even take in an appetizer and beverage in the lounge.
Cheers!
Manitoba
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We experienced the same type of weekend as outlined in the review below this review. However, I chose to personally phone the management on Monday morning, after also trying to make headway with the front desk attendant on Sunday morning.

I was able to reach Jason, the general manager, and outlined our weekend stay. I asked him if the hotel was willing to compensate for our awful stay in any way, and he said if he started giving handouts now, it would never end. He had an excuse for every poor situation I brought up.

Scenario A: the loud kids in the hallway running rampant.
Reply: We have a hired-out security firm that is supposed to monitor this, they're going to get a talking to this morning.

Scenario B: the temperature in the room.
Reply: It is what it is, we have a plan to renovate rooms, paint, change wall paper and heating systems, that started this morning.

Scenario C: Poop in the pool. I understand it's not the hotel's fault, but it's certainly not MY fault.
Reply: Well, I bet you I heard from every single parent staying in that hotel on Saturday evening, and each one of them guaranteed it wasn't their kid that did it. But, it was someone's kid. But parents won't own up to their own kids' mistakes.

Scenario D: Kids misbehaving in pool area while the pool attendant (hotel staff) just sits, reads a magazine, and does nothing.
Reply: Well, you can't police kids now-a-days. You try to tell a child that they're misbehaving. Then you hear from their parents, telling you not to police their child. If a kid is misbehaving parents won't let you deal with it. **I believe this, fully, BUT, how about exercising your right to refuse service to people, and if the parents are that bad, kick them out of the hotel all together.

Scenario E: Lack of communication during the fire alarm.
Reply: There's no way to communicate this with every hotel guest.
My reply: Well, I suggest you find a way. It's kind of a big deal to just wonder if it's safe to go back to your room.

Scenario F: rudeness at the front desk and lack of caring from staff.
Reply: Well it was a rough weekend, they were probably tired of hearing all the complaints.

Scenario G: I explained to the GM that I fully understand how sometimes things happen that negatively affect your business that are completely out of your control. And as managers you must do something to encourage your customers to come back.
Reply: like I said, if we were to offer incentives, we'd never see the end of it.

Just a very, very frustrating stay on a very bad weekend. And talking to the management just made it more frustrating. Poor quality of service from all levels of staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jason R, General Manager at Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Again, thanks for the call and the review, I'm not going to go through all the cases you have wrote about because I think I can sum it up a little quicker. Never have I used the words "It is what it is", not something I would ever say. I never defend poor customer service. In a lot of the situations we should have been better and handled things in a different manner, including our security staff. Customer service is my number 1 priority, always will be. I understand that night was not a good one for our guests, pool closed, fire alarm going off early sunday morning...... But I did say I hope parents would understand that we close the pool for safety reasons, it is mandatory. The fire alarm is always the worst for guests, but it could save someone's life one day. In saying that, our staff have to handle it better and understand what our guests are going through. I do hope you will call again if you want to discuss this further, I'm always available. Our renovations are coming along great. Cheers!
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Seriously don't know where to start.

We stayed the night of January 19...checking went smooth, but parking was a nightmare.
Got to the room and was completely blown away by the extreme temperature in the room. SO HOT. Upon further investigation we see that the thermostat was already turned off. And we have a pool view, so can't open the window.

I go to get ice, and there's kids running EVERYWHERE in the hallways...screaming! yelling, playing mini sticks. Blocking entrances, playing with nurf guns...Does the hotel have no rules?? This hotel is SO loud.

We settle I'm and decide to go for a swim. Which is completely crawling with misbehaving, erratic, noisy kids (don't get me wrong, I understand that a hotel with a water slide will have a lot of families, and kids are noisy). 5-6 kids going down the slide at once, and ghe pool attendant is sitting on a chair reading a magazine. A few minutes later we see the slide turn off and the pool empty out. We overhear through the hallways that the pool will be closed for 12 hours, and later heard from a hotel member that one of the kids used the pool as his or her bathroom. Awesome. The reason we chose to spend $140 for a nights stay at the Royal Oak was for the pool facilities. We did use the hot tub, but only enjoyed a few minutes in it because it was over run with kids, who were cannon balling in to it. Literally. WHERE IS THE STAFF? WHY IS THIS ALLOWED??

Back to the temp in the room...I called the desk and they said they'd send someone up with a fan. Which was nice, but all it did was blow hot air around and dry it out even more. The lady who brought it up said herself that these rooms are always way too hot and the hotel should do something about it.

So...a long, sleepless night due to the heat and dry conditions....and surprise! 6:25 am the fire alarm goes off. Sleepily get dressed and vacate the room, and all the hotel guests are standing around in the lobby as the fire alarm shrieks in our ears. The fire dept showed up, and the alarm turns off, and everyone waits around to see if it's safe to go back to room or what the deal is, and no hotel official comes to say anything. No sign of anyone anywhere. Go back to the room about 7:00. Sleep for a few hours and I decide to go talk to the people at the front desk about our stay. What a waste of time and energy. I asked if the price of the stay is going to be discounted due to all of our issues, and this is how the conversation goes:

Me: I know you've probably been gettin this a lot, But we were very unhappy with our stay, and was wondering if there was anything you could do to discount the price of the room due to this weekends evens.
Her: no ma'am, everything was out of the hotels control and it is not our fault a kid pooped in the pool and there was a false alarm.
Me: believe me, I completely understand, but It is really not our fault at all, and we were unable to enjoy the hotels amenities, plus have hardly slept a wink. The hotel really isn't willing to do anything to make this right?
Her: no ma'am. If it was a real fire your stay would be comp'd for sure.
Me: well, I can guarantee because of that I will never be back.
Her: that's your choice...it's really not our fault.

Ok. I really do get that. But sometimes things happen that aren't your fault, and sometimes you have to do something to make it right. You just do. I run a business, if anyone understands that sometimes things are out of your control, it's me. But when things happen, I make them right for my customers.

To boot, upon checkout, I wasn't asked how my stay was, if I'd like to leave the room on my credit card, or told to have a nice day. I said I needed to checkout and they asked for the room number, and all of a sudden I had a cc receipt to sign, and that was it. Horrible, horrible customer service. And the front desk attendant was different than the one I originally spoke with - so its not like she knew my issues. I'm guessing they probably got tired of being told how bad things were. Which would suck. But at $140/night, we got ripped off. Big time.

Because of the lack of caring, concern, and communication during an emergency-like situation, I guarantee I will neve return to the Royal Oak. You can guaranteed I will do my best to make sure no one I know will either.

Oh, btw. The doors say for your safety from the hours of 8pm and 5am these doors will be automatically locked for your safety. This is inaccurate. They weren't locked at 1 am....safe huh? Also, heard an off-duty hotel worker call the girl working at the front desk a very derogatory name. I was appalled.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. But if you do, don't stay anywhere near the pool!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jason R, General Manager at Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Good Morning. I believe we spoke on the phone yesterday but I would still like to post a few things. First, thank you for the call and the review. The Royal Oak has 156 rooms and ample parking of 400 stalls. Parking stalls are available all the way around the Hotel as well as underground heated parking. The customer service you received was inexcusable, my deepest apologies, something I take very seriously and something I'm devoting my time to in the next few days. We have security on every night and that ball was obviously dropped by them not doing a proper job. Looking into this as well. The pool doors say locked between 11pm and 5am, not 8pm as the pool is open to 10:30pm. as for the pool closing and the fire alarm going off, I would hope that parents would understand and appreciate the fact we do everything by the book to ensure 100% safety, it could save somebody's life some day. We should have more responsive to the guests in letting them know what was going on and I thank those who did come to the lobby. We are renovating as we speak, installing new heating/coolong units in every room on the 1st and 2nd floors. Please contact me if you have any other concerns.
Cheers

Been to Royal Oak Inn? Share your experiences!