“Not for a romantic get-away!” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Breakaway Motel to your Saves list
Breakaway Motel
Breakaway Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2160 King George Highway, White Rock, British Columbia V4A 5A2, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in White Rock
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not for a romantic get-away!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Staff very, very friendly and helpful however, walls are "paper-thin"!! You could hear the guy in one room cough, and the guy in the other room snore!! They do allow dogs (pets), however, many guests do not clean up after their pet, and my wife wound up with a reminder of this fact on her shoe after we walked our dog!! I would rate the room as average, and a pretty good deal as far as price goes.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Victoria, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed at the Breakaway so we could attend a family reunion in WhiteRock. The prime decision to stay there was because most of our extended family were also there. And the reservations were made by our cousin. We called the night before to confirm our reservations and all was good. When we arrived at the hotel all was good for the check in and we were given the keys to our room. Yes, real keys. I haven't had a room where you didn't have to swipe a card in ages. The room was antiseptically clean and minimalist in design. It has all the amenities for a comfortable short stay. I enjoyed the free wireless that worked well enough with my iPhone but for some reason not with my notebook. There is a very good tub and shower. The tiny flat screen tv was fine and got all the necessary channels. The fridge worked well and all was pretty good.
I found that the room was a bit noisy when I was near the door to make the rooms adjoining. And we did hear the little dog next door for a while but that stopped soon and demonstrated that they did allow pets. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient.
Across the parking lot is an ABC restaurant which like the Breakaway is a pretty good restaurant. We had a nice family breakfast there. I would recommend the Breakaway for stopovers when you need a clean comfortable rest, a place that is great for a short stay home base for visiting White Rock or for a family function like we had.

Room Tip: Choose an end unit if possible.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Keremeos, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

My nephew was getting married in White Rock, and we had to organize a group of rooms for family from the Okangan, Kamloops, Oregon, Coquitlam and Vancouver. The rooms were comfortable, and all the staff that I dealt with were friendly, courteous and helpful. They allowed us (8 rooms full of family!) take over their beautiful garden so we could play uitar, sing and catch up with each other. We were a bit noisy (apologize to any other guests!), but the staff understood our need to re-connect with each other. We stayed for 2 nights and a great time was had by all. The meals at the ABC restaurant were good for the price. Will recommend this motel to any friends and family that need an economical place to stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

My family of 3 (including a 2-year-old) stayed here for 2 weeks. The staff is friendly and helpful. The room was good, though the bathrooms are getting a bit old (still clean). Rooms are cleaned, with fresh linen, daily. I wouldn't recommend The ABC Restaurant (on sight), despite the free breakfast. The food left a lot to be desired. There are plenty of other choices, nearby, from IHOP for breakfast to la Baia (great Italian) for dinner. Overall, the Breakaway is a very good budget motel and one of the few choices for under $100 (before tax). We plan a return trip in August and will stay at the Breakaway again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I booked a hotel room, and gave the manager my credit card number to hold the room and let him know I would be paying with cash once I arrived. I also let him know that I would not be arriving until fairly late. Between 11:30 and midnight, I called several times for directions because my cab driver had not heard of the hotel, and could not find it. Not being from the area, aside from providing the address, I could be of no help. No one picked up the phone despite several calls, and so I took the cab back to Vancouver - about an hour away.

I called the next day to let them know what had happened, and was told that the manager would call me back and that they would refund my credit card as no one had picked up the phone when I had called for directions. Willard, the manager, never returned my call. After a few more attempts days later, I finally managed to get ahold of him, and he was immediately hostile, condescending and rude.

He started the conversation with "Now, let me tell YOU something" and referred to me as "young lady" and "little lady" throughout the conversation, despite having never met me. I believe he assumed I was young and naive and he would be able to manipulate the situation in his favour by being verbally abusive. I am an educated, professional woman and to be spoken to in this manner was absolutely offensive. I travel extensively for work and have never dealt with a business as unprofessional as this.

No cancellation policy was ever discussed, and even so, I had told him I would be paying in cash and did not give him permission to debit my Visa. Additionally, he said that their policy was normally not to charge for "no-shows" but he "just felt like" charging me because it was during the Olympics and he had "a bunch of stuff to do"

When he said it was my fault for not coming to the hotel, I countered that it was unlikely that he would have answered the buzzer had the cab found the place since he wasn't answering the phone. This, obviously making sense, made him irate and he started yelling at me to "take this ____ up with Visa".

I asked him to let me speak, as he was yelling over everything I said before he slammed the phone down in my ear.

I would suggest a lesson in business management, or at the very least, manners and etiquette for Willard, the rudest, most miserable hotel manager I have ever had the misfortune of speaking with.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Oliver BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Our car broke down, and we needed motel that was close by. The hotel didn't AC but it did have laundry, TV etc, the basics. The staff particularly the owner/manager (husband & wife team) were great. They went out of their way to help us. They even give us a full refund for our second night after we found out the car was fixed and ready to go.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Comox, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

This hotel was okay for the price. It was just over $100 (tax included) for 2 adults & 2 teens. Very easy to find. Not close to the beach, but many restaurants (including one on site that was good), stores and other businesses nearby and only a few minutes walk away. The drive to the beach is only about 5 minutes. Room was quiet. No traffic noise whatsoever. Easy and fast check-in. Some toiletries provided. A good hotel for a one night stop.

Really, the main drawback was the fact that there was no air conditioning. Wouldn't be bad at other times of the year, but on a hot summer night it made for a VERY difficult sleep. There was a fan, but it was not able to cool off people in two different beds.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Breakaway Motel? Share your experiences!