“Great but expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
Perth, Australia
“Great but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

Whistler is the sort of town you can sit back and relax whilst enjoying the scenery. The scenery really is beautiful. Or dig in and stay fit doing outdoor sports such as snowboarding.

I fell in love with Whistler. The town and the surrounds are gorgeous. There is an abundance or interesting little shops and art galleries. The snowfeilds are wonderful not only for the runs but the view also.

If you haven't guessed I went in winter.

There are plenty of outdoor activities on offer and lots of accomodation. It is definately a place you must visit if you are in Canada.

The only down fall is the expense of accomodation and age restrictions. I was lucky with the pricing on my accomodation as I got in early. However when I decided I wanted to stay another few days I couldn't find anything under $300. So I had to move on.

The other problem is age. Very few accomodations will take anyone unescorted under the age of 25. I was lucky. They let me in simply because I was travelling by myself and therefore low risk. Be careful to check hotel policies before you book.

Otherwise great place. As I said I love it. If you cannot afford to stay there is always the option of staying in Vancouver and taking the bus up. There is a constant stream of buses going there and it only costs about $30 return.

England
“Snowboarder's Heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

Just got back from Whistler a couple on 22nd January. What an amazing time. It's full of character and lively cafe's, bars, restaurants and shops and is definitely an activity for everybody.

I went with my partner and 2 friends and stayed at the Delta Whistler Village Suites. They are a 5 minute walk from the Whistler Gondolas and so we never bothered with the complimentary shuttle service provided by the hotel.

Met some fantastic people from all over the world. Food was really cheap and was amazed at the variation and quality in the majority of the cafes and restaurants. If you aren't a skier or snowboarder, then still go, as there are a hundred and one other activities for all to enjoy.

I saw many people going up on the mountains just to enjoy the amazing views and eat at the many restaurants. You can even shop on the mountains. I never went up Blackcomb mountain as a beginner boarder, but my other half did. He has been many times and have some spectacular pics which I will post asap.

Must do holiday for anyone...and I mean anyone. I wouldn't mind also going in the Summer. Fantastic!!!

Long Beach, California
“Macresort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Pleasant and clean but almost sterile mountain resort. Way too planned and developed for my taste as I prefer more organic destinations.
High priced restaurants and hotels with very little available for others not on expense account or independently wealthy.
On the positive side... the views are fantastic and the resorts "green" efforts are an example other tourist destinations (especially in the third world) could follow. Most important, the people I met are wonderful.

San Diego, California
“Not just a ski resort....Go in the summer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

Whistler is a wonderful mountainous area north of Vancouver to spend time hiking, biking, and photographing nature. The tram ride up the mountain offers spectacular views. We even saw bear below us on the tram.
It is a popular ski resort in the winter.

OK
“We luv Whistler!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

It's an outdoor lovers paradise! Especially, mountain bikers!!! ;) Exteremly awesome mt. bike park!! The surrounds are beautiful. We loved this place! Even the drive up is wonderful. The Sea-to-Sky Highway from Vancouver up to Whistler one of the most scenic highways in the world!!!!!

Been to Whistler? Share your experiences!