“Poor service, average food for the price” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Elements Urban Tapas

Elements Urban Tapas
4359 Main Street (@ Summit Lodge & Spa), Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada
604-932-5569
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 164 Restaurants in Whistler
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
“Poor service, average food for the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My friend and I visited here for dinner. We were excited to find out that the tapas restaurant we were interested in was situated literally right next to our hotel. However, our excitement quickly waned, when we were greeted with barely a glance and without a smile by the maître dis. The poor attitude and level of service continued throughout the meal to the point where we actually discussed what we may have done to offend him or what personal struggles he might have and not to judge him. Not dinner conversation you would expect while on vacation at world class resort! To top it off, I found a hair in my salad - no joke. The waitress made the point of telling us that they had discussed its origins and concluded it was none of theirs! Implying that it was mine? There were no apologies. At that point, there were no illusions that there would be a credit on our bill. The food (other than salad a la hair) was not memorable.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Oahu, Hawaii
“Small, comfortable, excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I visited for dinner and had soup with perfectly toasted bread, the chef's special, and salted caramel gelato. They made a decaf americano for me with dessert (thanks). The food was great, original, and service was friendly and efficient. I also overheard them trying to accommodate a gluten-concerned customer (who apparently didn't have to be gluten free) and managed it well.
They also have breakfast service FYI.

Visited January 2014
Branchburg, New Jersey
“good food but watch for extra charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

food and service were great, tho we went on a weekday a little before noon. at those prices, being charged $3 for an order or toast after asking if it "came with" the breakfast and being told yes, seems wrong. also charging $3 for extra maple syrup for the french toast without being told is a problem. good food, but be careful what you ask for.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
bc canada
“Not that great at all!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I am a bit surprised by all the high marks this place receives. I was disappointed. A solo diner, I had nobody to share plates with, so just ordered two- seared ahi and a bruschetta.

Remember- tapas is a term stemming from Spanish appetizer cuisine. Nothing wrong with fusion cuisine, but there is nothing Spanish about this restaurant at all. The ahi was Japanese/Hawaiian, the bruschetta- well about as Italian as chain restaurant pizza.

The ambience was nice- not too noisy on a Monday evening, but lively. The barman and apparent maitre 'd , Paul, was personable, attentive and efficient. No complaints there.

The food, despite it lacking any culinary cohesion, was actually ok to pretty good. Where the place fell down for me was in its branding, and in its value. 2 tapa sized plates, one glass of $11 wine, and the bill ran $45 plus tip. They wouldn't accept Amex, used dry as dust gluten free toast for the bruschetta when I asked for wheat free.

I left 25 minutes after arriving, and actually went into the IGA store afterwards because I was still more than hungry.

Maybe in a group, with more ordering variety, as I experienced a couple of weeks before at 21 Steps in Whistler- which has a similar m.o., would be better. Or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

But for the money, I expected better.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, CAD
“best meal I have had in Whistler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great tapa's and a fun dining experience. I am from Vancouver and am usually disappointed with the food up in Whistler and cook in our suite but we decided to go out and try this "hidden gem" - I would highly recommend it.
Best charcuterie plate I've had in a long time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere