“Great hotel, super-friendly staff. We will be back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nita Lake Lodge

You added Nita Lake Lodge to your Saves list
Nita Lake Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2131 Lake Placid Road, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B2 , Canada   |
Special Offer
50% OFF PARKING!
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
Vancouver, Canada
“Great hotel, super-friendly staff. We will be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

My boyfriend and I just got back from 2 nights at Nita Lake - it was very relaxing, restful, peaceful.
This is considered a 'boutique' hotel and we both thought this hotel was the perfect size. Not too small, not too huge.
We've stayed at the Alpine Chalet (too small) and the Fairmont Whistler (too huge). Nita is perfect size-wise. I overall, loved the "feel" of this hotel.

We checked in and got a young gentleman helping us. He was super-friendly and gave us advice for where to eat dinner. Off to a good start. We entered our room (a studio room on the 4th floor, lakeside view). We immediately went out to the balconey to check out the view. Beautiful!! (see pics). And it was sooo quiet. And had this amazingly peaceful feeling. Very nice escape from the city! The room itself was quite nice. There was 6 yummy chocolates waiting for us, with a welcome card.

The room had a king sized bed, a flat screen TV (with hundreds of satellite channels btw), a gas fireplace, sitting area, well-equipped kitchenette, free wi-fi, an iPod dock. The bathroom was nice and large, with a great-sized soaker tub!! The shower was awesome (with a bench to sit down on), nice granite tile work - and heated floors! A single sink. The bed was one of THE most comfortable I have EVER slept on. The pillows were divine and after lying in bed for a short while, I felt as though I had taken a muscle-relaxant, lol. Sooooo comfy. The first night, both my boyfriend and I slept for a full 8 hours without waking up ONCE (which is extremely rare for us). Did I mention the quiet?? We did hear the train sometime in the morning and again later on. But overnight, it was very quiet (and we had our balconey door open the entire night, too. It was also lovely to sleep with the fireplace on.Very romantic.
Well, the first day, we didn't manage to get out of bed til early afternoon. We decided to go for a walk around the lake. Very pretty walk.Though, a LOT of cyclists whipped by us. However, the hotel does offer free bicycle rentals, which is a nice touch! I should note this hotel is not near the village...BUT conveniently, just up the street is a complex of businesses, restaurants, a grocery store, liquor store, etc. But as mentioned by others, the hotel also offers free shuttle service to take you anywhere inthe village, if you want to go there.

After our stroll, we headed back to the hotel as we had a reservation at Aura, the fine dining restaurant in the hotel. We got a table near the window (so overlooking the lake) and we tried the 3 Course "Prix Fixe". So for 50 dollars, you get to choose one appetizer, one entree and one dessert. The food was definitely yummy. We both enjoyed the Coriander and Cashew soup (and I am not normally a soup fan - but the flavour was awesome) and the summer mushroom, braised bison short ribs (appetizers). For mains, my boyfriend had the salmon (very moist and juicy), and I had the sezmu beef flat iron steak (very tender and tasty!). For dessert, I had the lemon meringue and my guy had the fruit and sorbet (mine was delicious). The portions are a bit small, but we also had bread served to us, so by the end, we were full. The service was extremely friendly...almost overkill friendly, lol. But the waiters and waitresses certainly go out of their way to chat with you and show interest in you.
Overall, we had a great time and will go back at some point.

However, nothing is perfect, so here are the less-than-perfect things just for your information:
The room is designed a bit strangely. The couch is directly across from the TV and fireplace (the windows/balconey is on the right, the bed is opposite the windows on the left. However, if you are sitting on the couch, you cannot change the channels as the receiver is kind of around the corner, so you have to be sitting on the bed to change it. The TV does swing all the way out and angles so you can watch TV easily from bed...but then you can't see the fireplace from the bed.
The bed has the mattress sitting on a low base which juts out many inches. The problem is, going from the sitting area to bed area, you have to pass through a pretty narrow opening (between the wall and the bed)...and ultimately, you don't see the low jutting out base, and so several times my boyfriend ended up running into it with his shins. Ouch!!

The continental breakfast (is in their cafe) and is really not too great. You get a [mediocre] couple of baked goods (chosen from a small selection) a hot or cold drink, and some yoghurt.
When we checked in, they confirmed our Aura reservation. When we showed up the next day for it, the staff at the restaurant didn't have it on file. We still got seated right away, so that's fine...but it was my birthday and my guy had asked for special instructions for that, come dessert time....which didn't happen as the reservation was lost. Not sure how that happened.
Parking is 20 dollars per day, which I think is a bit much.
Anyways, if you are looking for peaceful, pretty, romantic escape, I recommend Nita Lake.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Seamless check-in, awesome 3rd floor 1 BR with fireplace, king size bed, fridge, microwave, etc. Tastefully decorated. Great king-size bed with view. The deli and restuarant were very good; tasty food at good price. Great exercise room, free use of mountain bikes and incredible view of Nita Lake. Easy to follow walking and cycle path around Nita Lake, Alpha Lake and 5km to main Whistler Village. The value was excellent; we did three days and got the third night for free. The resort hotel was almost full with a conference but we barely noticed. No noise, excellent service with smiles all the way from the front desk to the chambermaids. We will return again; probably the best deal in Whistler.

Room Tip: Get the third floor king size bed with a lake view
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at Nita Lodge and were quite disappointed in the resort and the level of service. We were looking forward to enjoying the spa and the trying the restaurant. The spa is far from "luxury" (as advertised on their website). It looked like it was closed for business. There was no ambiance, no candles, no flowers. The massage I had was also disappointing. The therapist kept on sitting/leaning on the table while she massaged me and her long hair kept on dangling over me. Totally unprofessional! She also did not use any scented oils (the oil actually smelled terrible).

Both, the restaurant and lounge were closed for private functions during our entire stay (over a weekend). We managed to try the brunch, but were only offered a buffet and it was not very good. Service was no existent...expect for bringing us the bill. Overall service at the resort was lacking. We were there during a bike race and no one could tell us anything about road closures on the highway.

However, we did manage to enjoy the location. The resort is located on a lake and is absolutely beautiful. We took out a couple of bikes (provided by the hotel) and enjoyed the trails. The room was also very nice. Nice comfy bed and great soaker tub!

Great location and great looking resort. Just don't expect much from the spa and service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
lindseyturner, Director of Sales at Nita Lake Lodge, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
I'm so very sorry to hear that your experience at Nita wasn't what it should have been. You have highlighted a couple of issues that we are currently working on improving internally. The 7,000 riders in the GranFondo did indeed present challenges throughout the Resort. I do hope that you will consider returning to Nita in the future to enjoy the true experience that we pride ourselves upon.
Snoqualmie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Despite recommendations from everyone to stay in 'The Village' I knew my husband and I well enough to know we wanted something more serene. The Nita Lake Lodge seemed to have nearly everything we wanted - the modern amenities of a Lodge, sererne location within walking distance to the Village (acceptable walking distance for us is 5 miles or less) and 4+ stars. The reviews were so good and the pricing so much better than what you could get comparably in the Village, I booked an online package for the Nita Suite that included a full breakfast every day for about $1100 US.

When we arrived they accomodated an early arrival. The room was really amazing. Very clean, spacious, great covered patio with lake view, spa like bathroom. With soaring ceilings, open floorplan and a separate bedroom 2 couples or a family could easily be accomodated in the Nita Suite.Be conscious of the fact there's only one bathroom, though, with one sink. The room was also soundproof near as we could tell. We had rooms full next to us and never knew it. Room really was awesome.

Location right on the walkways that connect to Whistler Village and all the other local lakes is great! We walked around and just discovered the area, took pictures and went to the Village for dinner, Peak2Peak, hiking and shopping via the trails. The Lodge also happens to be right on the train station for the RockyMountaineer. Some folks might find the light train traffic (about 2X a day) problematic but it never bothered us.

The Lodge has an onsite LandRover that serves as the hotel shuttle and is pretty handy. We tried to use it 4 times and had no wait 3 of the 4 times. One night we were told we'd have to wait for the next trip (20 mins) so we took a taxi back since we'd hiked 10-12 miles already that day in the mountains. The cost was about $18 CAD with tip. I also took advantage of the onsite spa and got a nice 90 min massage. Prices at the spa are very reasonable, but I would have enjoyed the experience more if they had dimmed the lights, provided eye covering when on your back and the therapist was less chatty.

A couple things that could really make this place incredible would be a lap pool, access to the hot tubs for everyone (not just for spa use), better furniture on the patios and a better menu for their existing restaurants. Aside from a limited bar menu there is an onsite coffee shop (also limited menu) and some formal restaurant (Aura) that I only saw open once in our 5 day stay (Sat morning brunch). We opted for this bbq they had out of the bar the first day we were there and it was *horrible*. Poor selection of sides and the meat wasn't that great. For $28 a person we were extremely disappointed. Thankfully, there are 2 close restaurants within a block (Bob's BBQ - 4 stars) and Southside Diner (incredible burgers) to pick up the slack.

What really bummed me out was the fact that they have this amazing soaking tub and no bath salts or bubble bath. This is really a major overlook in a suite like this for a 4 star hotel. Strangely, the room was also missing any kind of a site directory that explained the services/restaurants etc. avail onsite. If I hadn't read about it on line, I wouldn't know about the free bicycles (very nice though and always avail when we needed them), fishing poles or spa. The inability to use the hottubs without using the spa was also a big miss for me. I also wish they had an onsite gift shop, but that was a minor issue.

With little choice outside of the Village in a Lodge setting Nita Lake Lodge has little competition. If they stepped it up on the restaurant choices I would definitely be back on my next trip to whistler. With the current limitations, I might consider private rentals out on Green Lake.

Room Tip: The Nita Suite was perfect for a couple that wanted an area to relax in between hikes/activities. Al...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed 1 night at Nita Lake Lodge in September. Got a Groupon as a gift for 1 night stay, plus massage for 2 at Ashram Spa, and credit at Aura Restaurant.
Nita Lake Lodge is a beautiful luxury hotel located right on Nita Lake in Creekside. It's a short walk to the Creekside village with a BC Liquor Store and plenty of food options and other stores. Underground parking was $20 per night, but very secure and completely gated.
Front desk and housekeeping staff were all very friendly and courteous. Staff at Ashram Spa were amazing - fabulous spa with steam room and 2 hot tubs outside. Aura Restaurant was very busy that night and while I believe the service staff did the best they could, dinner was very slow.
Room is gorgeous - very spacious, almost comparable to the huge rooms at Venetian & Palazzo in Vegas! King bed, sitting area with gas fireplace, small kitchenette with appliances and utensils, HD tv, plenty of closet space, large bathroom with jetted tub and standing shower and lots of counter space.
A free shuttle to Whistler Village in their Land Rover is offered but we did not use it. We did use the free bike rental and went for a quick bike ride on the Village Trail which is right at the back doors from the lobby. We were lucky that it was a warm sunny day and spent some time on the dock at Nita Lake just steps from those same doors.
Would most definitely stay here again, especially in the summer being right on the lake and Village Trail!

scottsdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Excellent room and bathroom, great lake views
Staff helpful
Bed uncomfortable
Shouldn't charge for parking in summer especially since there is no surface parking

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Clitheroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Large rooms, with a small kitchenette containing microwave, kettle, toaster etc. with plates and cutlery. Air con, with a gas fire in sitting area, but no safe, it’s a really good place for a few days, bikes are available, and there is a free shuttle into the bars/fast food of Whistler itself. It is next to the station if you come by train, and there is all manner of outdoor activities in the area. Pool is small but you can swim in the lake outside the back if the weather is good. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone, however if you need it, the free Wi-Fi ISP provider is rubbish for dropping out, connecting and speed, it is a real pain. The underground car parking is over expensive, although we had a free voucher, and there is parking outside anyway.
We used the restaurant and took the $50 option, all I can say here is that the chef was really in the kitchen and not acting as an executive plate designer. The flavours were definite and precise, not perhaps to the European palates, but inventive, different, professional and well blended. The service in the restaurant was over attentive to the point of nuisance. The overall experience was excellent and no doubt Chef will go on in life to higher things. I do not often say this but it was well worth the money and put it as a must to any discerning food lover to enter, taste and enjoy.

Room Tip: Rooms over the lake would be nice if you are staying a long time.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Nita Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!