“Good massage but poor experience!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 89 Activities in Whistler
Toronto
“Good massage but poor experience!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently had a spa treatment (Royal Essential Touch) at the Taman Sari Spa at the Hilton. I have to say that although the spa treatment itself was quite relaxing, there were a few issues that I was a bit surprised about.

1. The therapist had the sniffles and constantly blew her nose into a tissue that she left on the bed. I found that to be quite unhygenic given that (i) I was lying on the bed and would be turning around on it and (ii) she failed to wash her hands after each time she blew her nose. I understand that she didn't want to interrupt the session but if she is sick, I don't think she should be allowed to treat clients. I would have liked to express my displeasure in the tip but I was forced to pay a 16.5% tip as it was already included in the bill.

2. After the treatment, I had to have a shower to wash off the exfoliating scrub and the therapist led me into the only shower on site. When I got in, I noticed that the showerhead was broken, as in the tubing that leads from the pipe to the showerhead itself was cracked and there was water spraying everywhere.

3. There was nowhere to hang the showerhead so I had to try to hold it in one hand and try to wash off the scrub and lather soap on myself with the other. It proved to be quite the challenge.

4. The water in the shower room did not drain. It appeared that there was a clog in the sewage system and it resulted in water not only backing up but also, a small flood in the shower room. Everything was completely wet and the water started to spread out into the bathroom. In order to contain that, I had to stop my shower prematurely and just wipe off the rest of the soap and the exfoliating scrub. After which, I had to try to wipe down the bathroom floor to try to prevent the entire bathroom from flooding.

Needless to say, at this point, any relaxation I gained from the spa treatment was lost. When I mentioned it to the receptionist, she said quite matter of factly, "oh yes, I know, it's been backing up and the water hasn't been draining". I was incredibly surprised because if the facility already knew about this - why was this not fixed and also, why were clients directed to use a broken shower room?

Given the calibre of the Hilton and of the spa, this was something completely unexpected.

Perhaps they were having an off day but seriously - flaws that ruined an almost perfect massage and exfoliation treatment. Disappointing.

Visited January 2013

Federal Way, Washington, USA
“Our Christmas Gift”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I have been treating each other to a spa evening at Whistler for the past 20 years. We have been to many of the spa's in Whistler including some at the 5 star hotels. We found the Taman Sari Spa a few year's ago and will never go any place else. After a few days of skiing we end our Whistler vacation with the Samapta Purwa treatments. The Javanese massage is amazing and finishing it off with with the Javanese Lulur and the herbal body mask is the perfect way to end our Christmas holiday. The staff is extemely professional and they always give us the Royal treatment.

Visited December 2012
Langley City, Canada
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I had a couple's massage at the Summit location and it was the best massage either of us have had. As I have back problems, I am always a little wary of massages but the lady was very attentive and paid attention to what I had asked her to do. The room was clean and spacious and the beds were even heated! (Although my husband had them turn his off as he is always too hot.) It was truly a great experience and we will definitely be back.

Whistler, Canada
“Fantastic Spa Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Going to the TamanSari Spa is truly a wonderful experience. The ambience is extremely relaxing, the staff friendly, and I loved the massage. It was truly one of the best massages I have ever had. I highly recommend this spa!

Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Just 1 word: Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Having tried various different spas this this one truly sticks out in our minds. We, my wife & I, went to the Hilton location and had an amazing experience with the esthetician and masseuse (Diane and Melinda). They were extremely thorough and attentive to their treatment and provided a level of service we haven’t had at comparable and even higher grade spas before (ex. Vancouver North Shore and golf resort Scotland, UK). The facial was performed with the entire face in mind, including muscles and was not just a superficial “skin-only” treatment. The massage had the right balance of pressure ,but not pain, and left me feeling relaxed and tension free (instead of sore and aching). Certain areas of tense muscles with knots were identified by the masseuse and focused on without ignoring the rest of the treatment.
The facility was clean, tidy, and the staff all very friendly (in a shy kind of way). I got the impression that they are building their business and are keen to make their guests happy, so I hope the following suggestions can help in that:
-Provide guests with a bathrobe and allow them to change and lock up their clothes in the locker rooms
-When offering tea/water to your guests, go ahead and pour the tea/water for them
Ultimately, the treatment is where the experience is at and with a few improvements on the details I believe you’ll have a very well rounded and highly satisfying experience.
I’d recommend them!!!