“A few too many small problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Side Hotel Whistler by Executive

Save Saved
You added Mountain Side Hotel Whistler by Executive to your Saves list
Mountain Side Hotel Whistler by Executive
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Building B, 4250 Village Stroll, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #43 of 53 hotels in Whistler
Richmond Hill, Canada
“A few too many small problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed five nights over the holidays at this hotel. The location was convenient within the Village, and very close to ski lifts. We had a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids aged 10 and 13) in a Queen Loft Suite. The room was clean, had a nice layout with decent decor though it was a bit cramped with limited floor space to put things and move around. It was good to have 2 bathrooms in the room however they were not well maintained. Sofa Bed was comfortable enough for the kids and easy to pull out compared to others we've seen. They had two TV's, one upstairs and one downstairs, both of which were a good size, well positioned and in good working order.

Overall we were satisfied with our stay, however we found there were a few too many annoyances and small problems with this hotel and the rooms:
- the bathrooms were in need of some maintenance and updating...lower bathtub drain would not close, upper bathroom ceiling fan did not work, both showers' water temperature kept changing from hot to cold, and there was limited counter and rack space in upper bathroom to store toiletries and hang towels.
- maid service did not replenish toiletries and coffee so had to phone to replenish them,
- door keys often took multiple swipes before it would work, especially the one to get into the ski storage room
- elevator was extremely slow (there was only one so we waited 5-10 minutes when busy), so we ended up using stairs most of the time to walk up and down to the 4th floor when we didn't have ski boots on.
- kitchen area was well equipped and laid out, but toaster didn't work well and fridge temperature was difficult to control.
- room temperature was a bit too warm especially in the loft, making sleeping a bit uncomfortable though the bed itself was comfortable enough
- fireplace looked nice but didn't seem to generate very much heat
- wireless internet is provided but seemed a bit slow

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Robert H, General Manager at Mountain Side Hotel Whistler by Executive, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I was disappointed to learn of the many shortcomings that you experienced and I will certainly share your comments with our team here, such that they can see the importance of attention to detail and making sure that everything in the room is functioning properly.

I was pleased to see that you found the layout and location to be convenient for you and your family.

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a week over the Christmas holiday. We stayed in two of the 2 level suites (part of Executive Suites, which is located inside of the Mountainside Lodge) - my kids in one suite and my husband and I in the other. The location couldn't be more ideal and the rooms themselves were spacious and actually quite perfect for us. Two big problems with the rooms - first, the pillows. Now, we had a total of 12 pillows between the two rooms and they were all bricks. Literally like sleeping with your head on a curb. My husband called down and requested 6 of their softest, fluffiest pillows - they never delivered the pillows so he called again the next morning and they brought up 6 of the exact same pillows. We can't be the first ones to complain about the pillows - we are not picky people and normally don't complain about these sorts of things but they were ridiculous. Even my 9 year old daughter was complaining that her neck hurt. I was actually tempted to go out and buy some pillows since we were going to be there for a week. I just don't understand why they wouldn't invest in some halfway decent $20 pillows at Target or BB & B - it doesn't take much, we're not talking about a 200, 500 room hotel here. Upon checkout, I mentioned the pillows again and the lady at the front said "Well, you know it's just so hard because everyone likes different types of pillows." Well, the only people they are clearly catering to are those who like rock hard pillows because they have no other options. Second problem and it was an even bigger issue was the shower situation. They need to invest in a new water heater. The water was either scalding scalding hot (and this is coming from someone who likes her jacuzzi at 104 degrees) or freezing cold. If you were lucky enough to find an okay temp, it would only last for literally 5 seconds and then it would go either completely cold on you or, more often, scalding hot. We complained about this as well - it was the same for all 4 showers we had between the two rooms. It's actually a big liability/safety issue - especially for kids. After the first shower, they only took baths because it was too dangerous for them to shower. My husband called again and spoke to someone at the front desk about these issues (the management company which is actually located across the street from the Inn) and asked that a manager call him back when he was in the following day. We never heard from him. It's a real bummer we had these two issues because it's such a great location and great price. Sleep and showers are pretty vital to a long trip so we won't be going back there until we are assured these issues have been addressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments from your early January stay.

I’m terribly sorry to see that the requested call back from the Manager was not received for some reason as you certainly should have had a call back.

I am pleased to tell you that as a result of your feedback, we did in fact make arrangements to offer different pillows to any guests who might request that of us, and, we have also made some necessary repairs to the water flow system to address your concerns with the fluctuations in temperature.

I was please to see that you found the locations to be ideal for your needs and the rooms themselves spacious and appropriate for your visit.

Thanks again for your comments, I do hope that you will come and stay with us again some time
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is not a 3.5 star hotel. Whom ever rated it was either duped, bribed, or held at gunpoint, allowing this hotel to be rated at 3.5 stars should be fired.

My first real problem was how the hotel was arranged. It is essentially separated into two parts; 1 part consisting of 4 stories above the garage, sharing a lobby with Whistler Village Inn (when you arrived there is a telephone to ring the main lobby) and a 2nd part 100 yards away where the actual lobby is to check-in.

This makes things horribly awkward and I can't imagine any of the poor folk who, unlike ourselves, having to fly all the way to Whistler to enjoy the slopes only to come that.

Decor doesn't usually bother me as we all have our peculiar tastes, however, this place did and it is not for the faint of heart. It was struggling between escaping the '70s whilst trying to be contemporary, only to fail miserably-smacking its fat face on hard wet ground. I can only describe it as black, terracotta red and yellow-ocre all over. Yuck.

Though the bed was clean, it was not comfortable. The gas fire place, though a nice and thoughtful touch had a bit of stain which looked like it could be easily cleaned by a trained professional... like one those people the hotel hires...their titles escape me but I'm sure you know who I mean.

The kitchen was descent but small. This indicated to me that the place that wasn't quite happy being a simple hotel so it had to squeeze in a kitchen and a dinning table to match the theme. If there ever was a theft of 1980s Deny's tables, I think I found one of them.

I know I mentioned the bed earlier but I felt it deserved it's own little paragraph. Now, not to brag, but I did pay for the cheapest non-hostel, non-student, flea free hotel I could find in Whistler and at $200 a night, I shouldn't have to suffer a murphy bed. NEVER. EVER. EVER.

Suffice it to say, this room is poorly laid out with the dinning table taking up most of the kitchen area, there is little room for what is suppose to be the 'sleeping area.' It is absolutely pointless to have a pull-out/murphy bed there. Because once the bed is out, you are within good TV watching distance anyways and I can't imagine anyone going through the hassle for their regular TV viewing routine on a sofa after a day on the slopes. It's either bed or couch.

But in this instance, it would have to be dinning table or couch. Equipping the room with a couple of those fold away tv trays would have kept to the look and feel of the hotel.

The people working there were friendly enough but I have to tell you that it took 12 hours to get a replacement for the cheap toaster in our kitchen. Simply wouldn't toast-kept trying all the settings; 1-6, light to cajun. Nothing. Wouldn't hold onto the bread to save it's life. I also had to clean the kettle, which was not very pleasant as the sponge below the sink was still wet from its last use. Ewww.

I also had to clean the dishes-which wasn't too bad as the kitchen had a tiny dishwasher installed. His name was Remy I think.

The bathroom was nice with clean floors but the shower was another story. There was yellowing on the head where the water came out-dating the shower somewhat. The jet/spa/bathtub had a crack resulting from an obvious botched crack repair previously.

Lastly, though our room was far enough away from the noise of the elevator and foot traffic, it sat right outside where the outdoor pool and hot tub were. It seems the uglier and fatter and drunker you get in Whistler, the louder you become. Odd.

I did not find our stay a pleasant one. If we had the option to switch hotels, we would have but I'm afraid I had to suffer this one so I could bring to light just how awful it was. No thanks needed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I regret that you found our two separate buildings to be confusing and also that you did not like the décor in those particular guestrooms, which we had only renovated 3 months prior with all new finishes, etc., as well as having put in all new pillow top mattresses. It’s certainly true that the bed in your room is in a Murphy frame, but it is in fact a custom designed pillow top mattress built to fit within that frame, to maximize on the available space in the room.

Also, our rooms are equipped with kitchenettes and dining areas as many visitors to Whistler prefer to be able to cook their own meals if staying for longer periods, to help keep their costs down, as dining out every night can be costly.

You mentioned some cleanliness issues in the bathroom and we did follow up to ensure that our room attendants are being thorough, and we do typically inspect all of our rooms prior to new guests arriving.

It is unfortunate that you did not ultimately enjoy your Whistler experience as much as we would hope and is the case for most visitors to the Whistler area.

Thank you again.

Been to Mountain Side Hotel Whistler by Executive? Share your experiences!