“An enjoyable stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort

You added Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort to your Saves list
Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4417 Sundial Place, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersBronze level
England
“An enjoyable stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

My Partner and I stayed at the Mountainside Lodge in late September 2008. I must say our stay was very enjoyable, the Hotel was ver well equipped and very clean. We booked the Loft suite which i feel was just right for a Couple and had a well stocked kitchen and two bathrooms which was definitely a plus.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this Hotel, the rate was excellent and the facilities and decor much better than som so called high end Hotels.

• Liked — In room sauna
  • Disliked — Fees for WiFi
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

My partner and I stayed here three nights, from September 2 to 5, 2008. We got a great rate online. We were initially reticent, after reading some negative Tripadviser comments, but our experience turned out excellent, and we have stayed in Whistler many times before in more expensive hotels.
The location is on the Sundial cul-de-sac just off the main Village drag, so it is close to the action, but not hectic or noisy. Of course, September is quiet season. This place is a short walk to the base of the chairlift, great for skiers or mountain bikers. The building exterior is elegant and the interior common areas are not fancy but certainly well-kept and modern. We booked a studio, but were upgraded to a 2-storey loft without asking.
Our suite had a fully-equipped kitchen with even dishwasher soap included. The matching appliances appeared new. The assortment of pop and chips on the kitchen tray had prices comparable to a store, unlike the usual price-gouging. The living room had two window-seats with bay windows that opened! You do need to be careful when you step down 2 dark-coloured steps from the kitchen to the living room, if lighting is dim.
The upstairs sauna worked better than the useless one at my gym, and whoever designed it had the forethought to install an emergency exit to the hallway outside. Of course, I kept a large towel with me in case I had to escape in case of fire, so I would not blind unsuspecting people. :}
The loft queen bed and bedding were amazingly comfortable; you could see the sun coming through the skylight. Be sure to turn the lights on when you descend the loft stairs, as the steps are narrow.
The pool and hot-tub area outside was inviting, with lovely flowers. It faced the patio of the restaurant which was packed every night. I enjoyed the hot-tub but my partner felt it was lukewarm.
Service was low-key, polite and prompt, not over the top. Our one request for more (fabulous) tea bags was addressed quickly. Of course, we tend to not ask for much when things go well.
Earlier reviews complained about housekeeping, but we have no gripes. Our suite was cleaned just fine. (Maybe if you had not hung on doorknob, the "do not disturb" sign?)
Things we loved include: two TVs, two full bathrooms (!!!) with new fixtures, a newspaper hanging on doorknob each morning, great quiet location, no hidden charges at checkout.
Things to improve include: warmer hot-tub temperature, lowering the over $1 Cdn local phone call.
No new photos attached as the ones already posted look fine.

• Liked — price, location, sauna, windows that open, full kitchen, loft, bed
  • Disliked — steep narrow stairs to loft, over $1 Canadian local phone call
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

This was my first stay in Whistler. We went for one night just to see the sights and take advantage of the very low summer rate. The drive up was no problem, as the construction has seemed to taper off. If you are driving up, I recommend stopping at Shannon Falls and Brandywine Falls Provincial Parks along the way.

Checking in was the only frustrating part of the stay. There are only 2 parking spots directly in front of the hotel, and very few others in the little loop that the hotel is on. All the spots on the street were full when we arrived. I would advise either circling around until one frees up or parking in one of the lots before you drive down to the hotel as to not frustrate yourself. We did not know this, so we parked in the public garage at the end of the street, which was $4 for an hour. We then walked over to the hotel, checked in, found our way back to the garage, and parked in the hotel's garage. It would be great if they linked the two garages together since they are both underground.

The good things: the staff was very helpful and polite, they upgraded us to a loft room, the kitchenette was handy, the bed and pillows very comfortable, jetted tub was relaxing, sauna in room was very cool, and there was a DVD and CD player. The only noise we could hear was what was going on outside (partiers until 3 or 4), and we had our windows open. I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The amenities and value
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with 2 kids. When I booked through Shell Vacations central line(I am not a timeshare owner) the agent tried to pretend she was in WHistler when she was obvioulsy in the US. It was obvious that she had never been to Whistler but her story about just having gotten coffee at the Starbucks located in this hotel that very morning was amusing. There is no Starbucks in this hotel. She is obviously reading off information she is provided and screwed up. Thought it was really dumb.

At the time I booked I asked about the possibility of early booking. I was told "it's usually not a problem-I'll request it for noon." So I booked based on that as I had kids who need an afternoon nap. When we arrived at noon the room was not ready -"we were full last night" - it won't be long give me your cell number and I'll call you as soon as it's ready -I'll putyou ahead in the queue". Two hours later we went back - "They're replacing the air conditioners - it wont be long ". At 3:15 I was told it was still not ready. I got my key at 2 minutes to 4 - yup a 2 minute "early" check in. I spoke to the manager who did not appear to care.

The hotel itself is ok - tired "80's building that has been repainted to look refurbished - the one old slow elevator is a dead give away. Our loft suite was ok but Im not sure about teh "replaced" air conditioner - it did not work hardly at all and look 20 years old. THe kitchen was well equipped and clean and the in suite sauna was fun. The dry wall and paint chips are always an indicator of quality though. I would not say this loft suite was for 6 people. The bed upstairs was fine. The pull out couch was absolutely NASTY and not usable. The other beds are the bench for the breakfast nook and a pull out trundle bed. Both would only be suitable for children. The room and especially the loft were stinkin hot even with the AC on.

The pool was ok if not slightly cold and we found the lack of signage to find the pool was irritating.

The location of this hotel is good but it is noisy like most village suites. The loud party down the hall and the people down the hall who smuggled in a barking dog even though theres not pets were also slightly irritating.

All in all the stay was ok and I said the to the desk guy when he asked me at check out. I said it was just ok and pobably would not stay here again. He said "Im sorry" asking for no details and said nothing else. The peviously customer had mentioned a bunch of problems he had to a man who appeared to be a manager and the guy did not even acknowlege him - truly just ignored the guy. WOW - I was shocked.

Theres better places to stay in WHistler - only stay here if you have to or its free.

• Liked — The in room sauna
  • Disliked — The front desk staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

Upon arrival, we were welcomed delightfully by Scott at the front desk. We had spent the day at the Whistler Music Festival and were sunburnt, tired, and hungry.
Scott sensed this and quickly and kindly informed us of a variety of things as well as a free upgrade to to loft suite - with a sauna. He was thorough, kind and had a sense of humour.
It's a nice sized hotel, with a friendly European feel.

My only complaint were the howling neighbours. Party time!
There was little we could do. We put on the air conditioner, and that help dull the noise.
You have to keep in mind of course, that it is Whistler, and has party written all over it. If you find a quiet place, then you're one of the lucky few. The previous night we stayed at the Crystal Lodge, and it was a party riot there. Complaining was entirely ineffectual...the kids just kept on rocking. Bring earplugs..but you may be one of the lucky ones who has no trouble at all. One never knows. For sure it depends when you're there and if any major events are happening, either winter or summer.
Anyway...
The Mountainside Lodge loft suite was great. Nicely decorated. Fully stocked with kitchen items, dishwasher, fridge, the whole thing. Lovely living room area with stereo, dvd player and nice sized tv. Handy for the kids at night. I look forward to returning.
Getting to Whistler can be a bit tricky driving from Vancouver as Highway 99 is being re-constructed for the Olympics in 2010. There are a few odd waits along the way, depending when you travel. Weekends seem to be easier to travel as there are no crews on the road, at least at this time.

Whistler is a first class, gorgeous place. It's like winning a prize when you get there. The Mountainside Resort was a nice suprise and super close to the lifts/gondolas for both Blackcomb and Whistler. Great location. Great staff.

• Liked — The room was great, wonderful staff and great location.
  • Disliked — The noise from our partying neighbours.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bucks, Great Britain.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

We booked a studio over the internet, but upgraded to a loft apartment when we checked in, for a small extra amount. We also paid for car parking.

The apartment was wonderful, very well equipped, and very stylish too. We had a view over the pool area, but being on the fourth floor there was no noise problem.

The hotel location just couldn't be better and we really enjoyed our two night stay here.

By the way if the weather is warm, it gets very hot in the loft part of the apartment, as the air conditioned isn't too effective up there. There is a ceiling fan though.

Good value, even with the extra charges, and really one of the nicest rooms we've ever stayed in anywhere. Go for it!

Stayed July 2008
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

We are members of the Shell Vacation Club which owns timeshares in this hotel. We stayed once over a weekend in February and then again for a week in March. The location is fabulous and the room we stayed in was perfect for the 2 adults and 3 teens. The problems we incurred we related to the housekeeping. Our first stay - when we arrived the place was plain dirty! I had to request another clean as there were stains on our bedsheets, and dust everywhere. The carpets were dirty also -- and needed a good vacuum.

On our second stay, similar issues. Again, lots of dust and smelly linens! The worst was the room smell...a VERY STRONG SMELL OF MILDEW which worried us about mold buildup in the room. We were not moved to a new room as they were booked. Maintenance sent someone up to spray some kind of strong deodorizer which was not pleasant either. Basically we were told we were stuck with that room.

Because we were timeshare owners we only get 1 clean per week...when we did get the cleaning - it was done so poorly -- they never even bothered doing the toilets or vacuuming of the carpets. Again, I had to call and ask for them to come clean again!
I did meet with the GM finally after all of this. He spoke in circles and never owned up to the problems as he never saw the poor cleaning or smelled the mildew in our room himself. I told him I thought their cleaning standards were low and he told me "that my expectations were too high!" This came from someone that is supposed to be in the hospitality industry!!! Obviously he has had very little customer service training.

Lastly, our kids used the pool and hottub 1x only! This was because it was hardly heated! We've been to Whistler so many times in the past and used pools at other resorts and my kids love to swim. I knew it was way too cold since they only swam 1x!
I plan to sell my timeshare and upgrade to a Westin!

• Liked — The locations was perfect
  • Disliked — Poor management!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort? Share your experiences!