“Great place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort

You added Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort to your Saves list
Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4417 Sundial Place, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bucks, Great Britain.
“Great place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

We booked a studio over the internet, but upgraded to a loft apartment when we checked in, for a small extra amount. We also paid for car parking.

The apartment was wonderful, very well equipped, and very stylish too. We had a view over the pool area, but being on the fourth floor there was no noise problem.

The hotel location just couldn't be better and we really enjoyed our two night stay here.

By the way if the weather is warm, it gets very hot in the loft part of the apartment, as the air conditioned isn't too effective up there. There is a ceiling fan though.

Good value, even with the extra charges, and really one of the nicest rooms we've ever stayed in anywhere. Go for it!

Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

We are members of the Shell Vacation Club which owns timeshares in this hotel. We stayed once over a weekend in February and then again for a week in March. The location is fabulous and the room we stayed in was perfect for the 2 adults and 3 teens. The problems we incurred we related to the housekeeping. Our first stay - when we arrived the place was plain dirty! I had to request another clean as there were stains on our bedsheets, and dust everywhere. The carpets were dirty also -- and needed a good vacuum.

On our second stay, similar issues. Again, lots of dust and smelly linens! The worst was the room smell...a VERY STRONG SMELL OF MILDEW which worried us about mold buildup in the room. We were not moved to a new room as they were booked. Maintenance sent someone up to spray some kind of strong deodorizer which was not pleasant either. Basically we were told we were stuck with that room.

Because we were timeshare owners we only get 1 clean per week...when we did get the cleaning - it was done so poorly -- they never even bothered doing the toilets or vacuuming of the carpets. Again, I had to call and ask for them to come clean again!
I did meet with the GM finally after all of this. He spoke in circles and never owned up to the problems as he never saw the poor cleaning or smelled the mildew in our room himself. I told him I thought their cleaning standards were low and he told me "that my expectations were too high!" This came from someone that is supposed to be in the hospitality industry!!! Obviously he has had very little customer service training.

Lastly, our kids used the pool and hottub 1x only! This was because it was hardly heated! We've been to Whistler so many times in the past and used pools at other resorts and my kids love to swim. I knew it was way too cold since they only swam 1x!
I plan to sell my timeshare and upgrade to a Westin!

• Liked — The locations was perfect
  • Disliked — Poor management!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in a studio suite for 4 nights for around $350. The room had a kitchen with utensils and a fireplace. It was great to have a kitchen to cook our meals since the restaurants in the village are relatively expensive. The fireplace was great for the cold nights. The room was so comfortable that we were reluctant to leave to go skiing.

• Liked — Location and Great Suite Rooms
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

We stayed at the Mountainside Lodge for a few nights earlier this December. We had a great stay!

I understand it is primarily a time-share hotel, but we were able to get booked. Our room was the loft-room, with the upstairs room, bath and private dry-sauna.

Another couple joined us at the last minute, and there was plenty of room for all of us. My husband and I took the upstairs area, which had a queen-sized bed and small bathroom. My main complaint is that there was absolutely NO drawers or any place to put your clothing. We used the dry-sauna as an additional closet :) The upstairs loft is not completely closed in by a door, so it's not completely private. But it does let you get away from anyone staying with you, as you are upstairs and they are downstairs. The stairs are very steep, though, so they are not suitable for anyone with any mobility challenges - OR large suitcases.

Downstairs is a cute little kitchen, with a table, chairs and a bench that makes into a bed, and then you step down into a little living room, with a couch bed, two chairs and a fireplace. Overall very cozy and comfortable.

The location is VERY convenient, practically in the middle of Whistler Village. We didn't get a chance to eat at the hotel's restaurant - Umberto's - but it is very highly reviewed I understand. We really enjoyed this hotel and will stay again!

• Liked — The rooms were very cozy and comfortable.
  • Disliked — There was no place to put your clothes - no dressers or drawers.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Issaquah, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

The mountainside has a great location relative to the mountains and is even well placed to most of the noise from the Village Stroll, but unable to control the noise within their own building . Spme guests on our floor had a very large, very drunk party until well past 3 o'clock despite several phone calls to the front desk. While the hotel does reserve the right to evict guest and keep the money, the offer no compensation to the other guests who paid for a night's rest but got less than half. Also, while the rooms are nice and large and well decoarted, you can tell that they have been renovated because several odd, very noticable details were left unaddressed - old, ugly font doors into the lobby, old ugly doorknobs in the rooms and cheap flimsy toiet seats. It seems like they went to a lot of expense to fix the palce up, but just didn't quite finish the job.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

This is an outstanding hotel. I have stayed at 'fancy' hotels before and paid through the nose for a quarter of the service Mountainside lodge provides! We are infact STILL here 3 weeks on, we love it so much. Its truly a home away from home and the staff are amazingly helpful. I couldn't put into words how grateful we were for their hospitality after spending a nightmare 2 weeks in Vancouver. I will most DEFINITELY be returning to this hotel every chance I get for the rest of my life!!! Its a mere minute away from the Whistler and Blackcombe Gondola and shopping/groceries. I can't recommend it enough!

• Liked — The amazing staff
  • Disliked — leaving
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

My husband and I decided to head up to Whistler Friday afternoon so I booked online about and hour before we arrived and from the moment we got there the service was excellent. They upgraded our room for free and when we walked into the room we were pleasantly surprised with what we got for the low rate we payed. The room was very large with a kitchen, jet tub and separate bedroom. I have payed a lot more and gotten a lot less. the room was very clean and comfortable. It is located right in the village so it is close to everything but it was so quiet you would have never known it. It is an older hotel however the renovations to the room make it feel new. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is definitely on my list of hotels to go back to.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort? Share your experiences!