Now it's summer but just today I recalled our wonderful time at Whistler the end of February, 2012. The timing of our arrival couldn't have been better. There had been a dump of 20 inches of snow the night before. Not 5-6 cm like usual, but 20 inches! Locals told us they had the best skiing in years. We did, too. The other part of "wonderful" was staying at the Mountainside Lodge. I'd stayed here twice before and liked the lodge, the great outdoor pool and Jacuzzi, and being in the center of Whistler Village where all the action is. This handy location is less than a block to walk to the Whistler gondola...with or without skis.
This time we had a room on the 5th floor next to the elevator and with an unblocked view of the Village and where skiers gather to take the Whistler gondola. We also enjoyed watching people swim and steam rise from the pools next to a huge mound of snow. Another plus is Umberto's Italian restaurant inside the lodge. Excellent and elegant though expensive.
Our cozy loft room had a flatscreen TV and toasty-warm gas fireplace with raised hearth in the small but attractive sunken living room. The couple with us enjoyed their queen bed loft with bath and even a dry sauna and large closet. In the living room my friend slept on top of the couch rather than open it to a sofa bed and take up space. I slept on top of the day bed that served as seating for the dining table rather than use the trundle below. This may sound awkward, but both of these sleep arrangements worked fine. The small kitchen was adequate enough to make French toast for breakfast. Delicious, I might add, on a snowy morning.
Front desk people were friendly and helpful on the phone as well as in person. Parking and ski lockers under the lodge are convenient. The only drawback is the sometimes slow elevator. The cost for four of us was less than $800 for 3 nights including parking. Very reasonable I think. So, if I go to Whistler again, I'll stay here...unless I stay at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Mountainside Lodge, you’ll find all the comfort, service and amenities you desire when you’re ready to balance your sense of adventure with something for your other senses. Mountainside Lodge is surrounded by spectacular mountain views, yet close to the delightful ambiance of Whistler Village. You just won’t find a better base for your adventure all suites have mountain views, attractive tile and rich carpeted floors, gas log fireplace and wooden blinds. The bathrooms have a jetted tub and bath amenities including a hairdryer and cozy bathrobes. The fully equipped kitchen with dining area, has a dishwasher, full size stove & fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board. You’re never far from a stylish hideaway, a gourmet meal or a rejuvenating massage when you make Mountainside Lodge your base for adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Mountainside Lodge - A Shell Vacations Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mountainside Hotel Whistler
- Mountainside Lodge Whistler