“Not what I was expecting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blackcomb Lodge

You added Blackcomb Lodge to your Saves list
Blackcomb Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4220 Gateway Drive, Whistler, British Columbia V0N1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
Vancouver, Canada
“Not what I was expecting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Wasn't really too sure when I got this place for an extended weekend through groupon, but I would say it was a great deal.

Check-in was easy and they were helpful when I asked for the twin beds instead of the king and had someone up to change it almost immediately. The location is great, right in the village above Araxi and across from the grocery store.

The room itself was great, and lots of room for a suite (no bedroom, just all one room). The kitchenette was great (almost better equipped than some of the kitchens I've lived with) and there was even a balcony so you could watch the pedestrians on the walk below if you were brave enough to stand outside :) The only thing I think worth mentioning that turned me off was that the hot tub and pool were in the basement by the parking. The location is a little awkward and I guess I'm spoiled and like having my hot tubs outside, or at least with a little fresh air. If that doesn't matter to you, I would say book it!

They even have a ski storage with the intersport(?) in the lobby so you don't have to worry about lugging your skis/board to the room. The entrance is also right by the greyhound/snowbus bus loop, so it's a great location if you plan to take the bus up to whistler to save on the hassle of trying to figure out what to do with your car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dave_Mitchell_WP, Front Office Manager at Blackcomb Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at The Blackcomb Lodge. We are happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations!

As you mentioned the lodge couldn't be any more convenient for those coming up on the Greyhound bus or on the airport shuttle.

Thank you for choosing The Blackcomb Lodge and Whistler Premier. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Castaic, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have always dream of going to whistler. We finally had an opportunity to come to your resort because my daughter proudly attends UBC university. The first things my kids said when we walked into our room and look out the window was wow! It was the best Christmas of all time. My family wants to thank you for this incredible resort. We will be back next Christmas no matter what. Thanks so much! Norihiros from Los Angeles ca

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I thought of calling this review "Good not Great" but highlighting the positives was one of the points of my writing the review in the first place. So here goes.

We stayed at the Blackcomb Lodge for the weekend with two kids - ages 5 and 9. The building is not fancy, just functional. Parking was easy. The pool/hot tub/sauna were nice but small (and the kids didn't care). The room was a little worn out but the loft space was actually great for the kids. The beds were fine - however the linens were a bit tired. The bathroom was decent, as was the kitchenette. Also a big plus - the staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating.

so in short, everything was fine, just not exceptional. We didn't care. We came to ski. The hotel is right in the middle of the village. The walk to Whistler guest services, Whistler Kids and the main gondolas - up either mountain - is less than five minutes. There are 10 coffee shops nearby that open early for breakfast. And given how little time we spent in our rooms, fancy stuff would go to waste.

A few notes of caution. A lot of 20-somethings wind up at this place. So, lots of cheap beer gets hauled into the hotel rooms. You'll catch an occasional whiff of "Otto's hat" - and the faint din of room parties is always audible after 6PM when everyone's off the slopes. I would expect that on really busy weekends - or during spring break - this could get a little out of hand. It was not at all out of hand when we were there.

Two negatives to mention:

First - laundry facilities are very limited. We didn't plan to do laundry but our first day on the mountains was VERY wet. There is only one coin-operated dryer on the premises. It's old, and has one temperature which is SUPER-FREAKIN' HOT. I didn't have to compete too much for dryer space but it could get ugly on busier weekends. Given that rain at the base of Whistler is not an uncommon event at any time of year, this is an obvious oversight.

Second - the free WiFi connection was awful. I don't know if they needed to simply re-boot the router (or if internet in the middle of nowhere just sucks by definition) but connectivity dropped every couple minutes. I didn't go to Whistler to surf the internet but I did turn off my data connection when I crossed the border just to avoid getting socked with data roaming charges. Fortunately just about every place you visit has WiFi - so we "survived".

Bottom line: our stay was good. I'd stay at the Blackcomb Lodge again - it's good not great but convenient & close.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor not facing the Village Walk are quieter (rooms in the 220-240 range I think...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great hotel that is conveniently located in the thick of the action. There is a lot of noise in the rooms from the foot traffic of the Village Stroll. If you can deal with that it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We had reservations for 5, only had 3 forks in the condo. Food stuck on dishes. Dirty bedding, no need to elaborate on that. We stayed 4 nights and not once did housekeeping come to empty garbage or swap out our dirty towels, even with the sign on the door to please have service. Great location just extremely poor service...disappointed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at the Blackcomb Lodge from February 19 - 20, 2013 with my girlfriend and another couple. The hotel is located right in Whistler Village and roughly a 3 minute walk to the lifts.

The room was clean and very nice, the full kitchen was impressive and we cooked lasagna with garlic bread in the oven for dinner after a fantastic day on the slopes. The fridge in the room kept our beer cold and the showers were hot with good pressure. There was a pool and hot tub at this hotel which we also all used to ease our muscles at the end of the day. I have no complaints about this hotel or the service I received. Price was a little steep at $169 for the night, but most prices in Whistler are a little steep compared to the rest of BC.

Now to the bad news (or good news depending on what you're looking for).

We stayed at this hotel during what I was told was the college/university "reading week". This hotel is in close proximity to several bars and clubs in the village. The music and the sound of drunken crowds could be heard clearly in our room until well after 1am. This didn't bother me because until around midnight, I was part of that drunken crowd. Just thought I should mention the noise level incase you were reading this and had a wife and kids and are looking for a quiet place to lay your head.

If you're looking to ski all day and party all night, this hotel is definitely for you. If you're looking for somewhere quiet, might want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the "quiet area" of the hotel, unless you're there to party.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel looks much nicer after the reno. The room we stayed in was spacious and clean, however due to the location (right next to pubs and restaurants) it was extremely noisy for a good part of the night so getting any sleep was difficult.
We had also asked for a king bed and ended up with 2 separate beds that we had to ask 3 times to be pushed together.
The pool/hot tub area had no towels (we were told not to use room towels) and the mens change room would not open no matter how many keys we tried. The staff were friendly and the hotel was close to amenities like grocery store, liquor store, restaurants and pubs if thats what you like but the noise factor was too much for us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Been to Blackcomb Lodge? Share your experiences!