“Great location, nice apartment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aspens on Blackcomb

Save Saved
You added Aspens on Blackcomb to your Saves list
Aspens on Blackcomb
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4800 Spearhead Drive, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 53 hotels in Whistler
Melbourne
“Great location, nice apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Likes : Well located for ski-in, ski-out. Apartment was well set out and clean, well equiped. Easy walk into the village. Our rooms were quiet as we did not overlook the pool area, a good thing.
Dislikes : Fairly hard bed ( 2 pushed together). Check-in staff need more knowledge eg. had no idea about ski valet service, advised us to store skis in storage cupboard near hotel entrance.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
freek4jesus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

The location was great, staff at the Hotel was friendly as well. But Resortquest refused to give me their current promotion of the complementary 3rd night. If I would have slacked off until the last week and booked a hotel, I could have saved 336 bucks, but since I booked my hotel months in advance like a responsible customer, I got penalized.

I wouldn't have been as upset if they just simply told me I couldn't do it and there was no way around it. But, I talked to three separate customer service agents with resortquest, and they all told me different things, one of them directly lied and contradicted what the other agents said, seemingly to end the phone conversation so they wouldn't have to talk with me.

The hotel was actually great, but ResortQuest really didn't put the customer first. They only told me conflicting information about their deals, and refused to let me speak to a supervisor.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — resortquest accomodations
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

Let me start by saying that my husband and I loved the location of The Aspens. Located in the Upper Village, it’s a true ski in / ski out, right near the base of Blackcomb mountain on Merlin’s trail. On ski days, we settled into our equipment and skied down the trail to reach The Wizard chair lift. And in the evenings, we’d travel the trails down the mountain directly into the condo’s ski valet – no need to lug our ski equipment through villages and into cars or buses. It was extremely convenient. Adding to the convenience is the fact that Blackcomb base village sells lift and ski school tickets, and has several shops, bars and restaurants – everything we needed just a short walk (or ski) down the hill. Whistler Village is very close - a short 7-minute walk, or a slightly longer ride on Whistler’s free shuttle bus (Bus Number 6).

The Aspens, and Room 354 in particular, has many benefits (aside from its great location). First, it has good (warm) underground parking (for around $15CAN per night). Second (and more important), it has an excellent hot water swimming pool (open during the winter) and three very fun (and bubbly) hot tubs. We hit the hot tubs every evening after skiing, along with numerous other guests. It was great - everyone was friendly and the hot tub’s jets made for great leg and back massages. The Aspens also has an indoor work out room next to the hot tubs – small, but helpful, with only one treadmill, one stationery bike and a weight bench.

The downside to The Aspens is that the interior hallways and elevators are not at all well maintained. The carpets are ragged from all the dirty snow dragged in on ski boots, which converts to stagnant puddles of water; consequently, the halls and elevators always greet you with a nasty putrid smell. Moreover, gaping holes and missing panels “decorated” some of the walls in the hallways – making it look and feel sort of like a ghetto. The elevator service was no better – two of the three elevators near Room 354 didn’t work during most of our stay, so we took the stairs a lot. Lastly, The Aspens’ front desk, while friendly, was not overly eager to help. Room 354 is not affiliated with the company that manages the desk, but nevertheless, the staff was somewhat helpful in answering our questions regarding local activities and restaurants.

As to Room 354 itself, the location is great because of the way the sun drenches and warms the living room all day and because of its excellent view of the mountain. It’s the second to last apartment nearest the corner of the building that faces the ski trail. As a result, while sitting on its balcony, you can watch people ascend the mountain on the ski lift and watch them ski down in their brightly colored ski gear. It’s great. The condo is a one bedroom. It has a well-kept kitchen with a microwave, dishwasher and stove (although only two of the four stove top burners functioned during our visit). The living room has a cozy fireplace and a small (17 inch) television, with cable TV and internet access (not wireless). The couch has a convenient pull out mattress (very thin mattress, however, so not extremely comfortable). Lastly, the bedroom has a great big double pane window overlooking the balcony and the mountain. Very nice. The bed has a firm (i.e., hard) mattress. I think it’s a king-size bed, but it’s comprised of two twin-size mattresses placed side-by-side. It also has two end tables with drawers for storage and a closet with a limited number of clothes hangers. Notably: no TV in the bedroom (!).

Overall, we found that Room 354 was very clean, comfortable and well maintained. And last, but not least, the condo’s owners were very nice and responsive. We definitely recommend staying at The Aspens and recommend Room 354 in particular. FYI, we found and booked Room 354 on AlluraDirect.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smelly hallways and elevators
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Abbotsford, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

My wife and I just got back from a 3 day stay at The Aspens in Whistler. I guess it was off season (Sep 11-14) because they were offering a 3rd night free deal so it worked out to about $350 including tax for the three nights. Even with the special pricing the hotel was dead. I picked this hotel because I heard it has a nice pool, and because it is not right in the main village...the village can be pretty loud at night. If you want to walk to the village you can do it in about 5 minutes or catch the free bus that runs from the Upper Village to the main village. If you want to drive it is about 2 minutes from the hotel to the free parking lots at the main village.

The pool is indeed nice. There are 3 hot tubs and a good size pool with loungers, chairs and tables. We had the pool area almost entirely to ourself for most of the time other than the odd group that would stop by for a few minutes.

The rooms are starting to look a bit dated, but they were clean and quite. The only big negative with the room was the "king size" bed...it was actually to twin beds pushed together and I don't think they even had a mattress topper over the two beds...if they did it was very thin.

Overall I would say it was good value, but not as nice as some of the other hotels that I have stayed at in Whistler. In winter this would be an amazing hotel because it is slope side (ski in, ski out). If I ever stay here again it would only be for the pool.

• Liked — Location and pool
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Agree with the others, the Aspens is one of the few ski in/ski out places to stay. You do have to hike up the mountain a bit, but it still appealed to us more so than staying right in the village.

We booked with an owner directly, and while it was a bit cheaper, I wouldn't do it again. Some other owners might be better, but we had a problem with the suite, which if owned by the Aspens would have been fixed immediately. Instead, we had many phone calls to the agency in the US that ran the unit for the owner, plus phone calls from the owner to make sure there really was a problem. Plus all sorts of people the owner got a hold of, to come and check that yes, the item really, really wasn't working. Three or four days later, the owner agreed to replace the item. It really put us off renting from an owner.

Other than that, the suite was a good size, one bedroom with a pull out couch. Very small bathroom but that didn't really matter. No washer/dryer in this unit, but there were two or three in the laundry room.

• Liked — location for ski in /ski out
  • Disliked — dealing with the owner rather than with the actual hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

The location of the Aspens on Blackcomb was perfect. We rented a two bedroom/two bathroon unit from a private owner. We were more than pleased with the unit as it had a small washer and dryer. The unit was well stocked and the amenities at the resort were just right. I especially liked the small coffee shop down in the lobby. Excellent soups!

After staying at this location, I am very glad that we did not stay directly in Whistler Village. Too much conjestion for me. We were only a 5 minute walk away. The resort is also only a short jaunt up the ski hill so it was manageable after a long day of skiing.

The resort also has a ski valet as ski and snowboard equipment is not allowed in the rooms. At times, it seemed like the line was lenghty get your equipment, but the gentlemen working the valet were very fast, courteous and efficient.

I would highly recommend this place. You are right near the base of Blackcomb so you don't have to hassle with the conjestion at the Whistler Chairs/gondola.

• Liked — Location and closeness to village and slopes.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

To me, the Aspens is in the perfect location. Ski in/Ski out for the Blackcomb base lifts, and close enough to the bottom so that you can stagger back from Merlins or a night out in the Village (5mins away across the creek) without any hassle.

As metioned by other reviewers, the agency that runs the front desk only runs about 25% of the actual units in the building, but I found them to be quite helpful nonetheless. The one pool and 3 hot tubs were good, but tended to get quite busy at the weekend and quite a bit of mess was left behind by some of the guests (beer cans etc.). But it was quickly tidied up by the morning and it was nice and quiet during the week.

There is a laundry room, vending machines, an outlet for the Summit rental shop and a small coffee bar in the building too, so it has pretty much everything you need apart from a restaurant.

The room was a nice size, very clean and very well stocked with kitchen utensils etc..But this was a private rental so other units may vary.

All in all I don't think we could have made a better choice and I would definitely recommend staying here based on my experience.

• Liked — Ski in/out location, Hot tubs
  • Disliked — Inconsiderate guests leaving rubbish in pool area
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Aspens on Blackcomb? Share your experiences!