“Aspens 463, GET A FOB!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aspens on Blackcomb

Save Saved
You added Aspens on Blackcomb to your Saves list
Aspens on Blackcomb
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4800 Spearhead Drive, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #24 of 53 hotels in Whistler
Woodinville
“Aspens 463, GET A FOB!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After a great day of skiing the multiple hot tubs and large pool are just what the skiers need. You'll need to have your electronic key fob to get in/out, of everywhere. First you'll need to stop inconveniently at the front desk to exchange a "Towel card" for a towel, and you'll have to swipe a credit card for both. Then when you want a fresh towel, you guessed it, back to the front desk. The convenience of ski in, ski out is almost drowned out by the incessant need to go to the front desk for something as simple as a pool towel. The main spa is huge, but the water was just barely over 100 F. The smaller spa was better, probably 102 or so. The exercise room looked clean, small but adequate.
There is a zero tolerance of bringing skis or snowboards into rooms, and the ski valet is convenient, but located at the furthest point from the slopes, across the courtyard. Probably not something they can or will change, but wouldashouldacoulda, oh well.
Parking is great, but like most Whistler/Blackcomb condos built during the early build up don't take into account rooftop carriers on full size pickups or SUV's. The Aspens is plenty high for a pickup, but check if you have a taller setup for ski or bike trips.
If you ski down to the village, Blackcomb, or the main village, you can take the Solar Coaster to mid station , ski cross slope through a narrow trail, then under The Wizard chair and down to The Aspens. If you enjoy après ski at the Merlin's, or other pubs/restaurants at Upper Blackcomb, just down from The Aspens, you can ride the beginner chair and again glide down to The Aspens. It may not seem like much, but that 100 yard uphill climb after a beverage or three in ski boots is less fun than a quick chair ride and slide.
Unit 463 was fine, well appointed, well stocked and clean. A smaller big screen is in the main room. The kitchen is definitely a one person at a time affair, but adequate. The master is great, the second bedroom has a queen below, double above bunk and a twin on the side. There's a queen foam mattress under it all. Second bath was fine.
All in all, get your towels, fobs and instructions, and you'll have a great time.

Room Tip: Individually owned units may vary, this review is for 463, but the Aspens review would be for any un...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RQWManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, although you were not a resort quest whistler guest, we appreciate your input.
Non Resort Quest guests do have to swipe a credit card for pool towels and pool key fobs, due to non returning, the strata company put in place by the owners of the individual units have us do that with guest who do not book through the front desk, as resort quest are not responsible for those guest and can not ensure that they are returned.
Most guest welcome the ski valet as a bonus, I'm sorry that you had an issue with walking across the court yard.
Even though you were not our guest I will certainly pass your comments regarding the pool temp to the strata.
I also suggest that you copy your review and send it to the company that you booked your unit through.

Again thank you for taking the time to write this review
Regards

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was my 7th trip to Whistler Blackcomb and my 3rd time staying at The Aspens. Whistler Blackcomb has always been my favourite ski destination. I would always recommend it to someone that hasn't been there before. This year something seemed to change, and the best way to describe it that the town has lost some of it's shine. The service at the Aspens has always been amazing the rooms are clean and well kept. My only real disappointment was the staff decided to clean the large hot tub just as we finished skiing one day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we love to hear our guests returning to Whistler time and time again, and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay yet again:)
I will defiantly pass on your comments regarding the hot tub, to the strata at the Aspens.

Again, thank you so much and we can't wait to see you back again and again

Warmest regards
Guest Relations Manager
Madison, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked our Aspens stay through enjoyvacations.com, the agent for ResortQuest. When I initially declined this property as an option, I was offered an "upgraded unit" for more money and pictures of the unit were provided to me. I agreed to purchase this option. Upon arrival, I was told there were no "upgraded units" at the Aspens and no one knew anything about the unit I had pictures of. We were eventually offered our pick of lesser units, which is not to say we got a unit anything close to the representation of the picture: older/cheaper/shoddierfurniture, no TV in the bedroom, lesser TV in the living room ,etc. I had to stand and wait at the check-in desk trying to resolve this problem while the one desk person on duty kept leaving to hand out pool towels to everyone who walked up. Our transfer back to the airport was never confirmed with us as we were told it would be. When I called them, they had no record of us and said "Good thing you called!". The trail maps provided in our check-in packets were 8 and 10 years old respectively. What I was told I would be billed (the dates and amounts) did not match what I was billed. When I tried to work these issues out with enjoyvacations.com upon returning home, the Ops Mgr kept saying that I had misunderstood everything. I had documented everything and this clearly was not the issue. I was refunded some money from ResortQuest but not the amount between the first quote and the "upgraded" quote. They had the audacity to charge us for a cleaning fee after we moved out of the first unacceptable room, which we were in all of maybe 10 minutes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

As I understand the company that you booked your vacation through dealt with the matters in this review promptly and to both yours and our satisfaction, so on that note will just thank you for the time that you took to write this and hope that whistler sees you back again another time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Great location just above the upper village and about a 2 minute ride to main village. From the time you pick up your skis each morning, within 40 yards you are on the slopes!! They also have 3 great hot tubs and pool for relaxing after long days on the mountains. The rooms are comfortable and very well decorated and clean

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for such a very lovely review, it's reviews like this that make our day, I have passed this to owners and staff, we love the boost that reviews like this give our staff:)

Again thank you for your review and Whistler hopes to see you again some time.

new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Aspens is extremely well located but in most other respects I would rate it somewhere between okay and poor. Whether the hotel makes sense for you will depend on what type of experience you are seeking and your price point.

If your greatest priority is ski on/off then Aspens is great choice for you - walk out the door of the hotel, pass through the pool area and you are on Blackcomb Mountain about 50 feet from the base lift. It truly could not be more simple and convenient.

The hotel itself is in need of a re-fresh. It's not exactly run-down but certainly doesn't feel modern. The lobby is sparsely furnished and the hallways have metal fire doors that give the hotel a look of 1960s school building. Likewise, our one bedroom suite was in decent condition but the appliances and TVs were aging. Some of the slats from the blinds that covered the sliding glass door out to the deck were missing and the shower had very low water pressure. Our room also had a smell to it that we could not pinpoint but decided was left over from years and years of meals cooked in the kitchen. We met another family that had also complained to the front the desk about the smell in their room. Perhaps the carpets need to be changed. In any case, it wasn't so overwhelming as to ruin our vacation.

Where the hotel really falls down is on amenities. I found the front desk staff to be courteous and responsive but the Aspens is mostly a do-it-yourself experience with no sense of luxury. A few examples are:

1) Guests must buy a parking ticket from a vending machine then drive down into a very cramped parking lot where there are some very rickety luggage carts (sometimes there, sometimes not) that one must navigate through some small doors to the elevators.
2) Every guest is issued cards that must be traded in for pool towels which are small and thin. When you are done at the pool, you bring your skimpy towels back to the front desk and they give you your cards back.
3) The ski valet stores your skiis in a back room so long lines form on the patio each morning as the staff walks back and forth for each patron.
4) The Aspens does have a pool and hot tubs (which are all fine) and a ski rental story but no convenience store or game room.

The trade offs I have described above must be considered, of course, in the context of price. I mostly looked in the upper and lower Village and found that the Aspens was at least $100 cheaper per night than a more modern hotel in the lower village that was a 10 minute walk or so from the lift.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Your comments regarding the sparseness of the lobby area and outdated furniture within the units has been duly noted and passed on to the owners of the unit and the strata council for review.
With regards to the smell in the unit you stayed in, please feel free to contact me to ensure that we can have it looked into, this could also have also been mentioned to the front desk for immediate attention.
As the aspens on Blackcomb is not a luxury hotel but indeed a lodge, we do not offer luxury amenities, and as stated this is noticeable in the nightly rate charged.
With regards to your number pointed comments, I would like to address them as follows
1) the Aspens in Blackcomb parking garage is managed by the strata company appointed to the lodge on behalf of the owners, the purchase of tickets and size of parking stalls are very normal for any parking garage within Whistler.
2) As with the luggage carts and pool towels, we are a lodge, that all units are privately owned and rented through a number of property management companies, unlike most other lodges in this situation, the Aspens is lucky enough to have a front desk that is maned 24/7, by thr same company, we are in turn responsible for the entire lodges pool towels and so, to ensure that everyone has the ability to renew wet cold pool towels for fresh dry ones, we must have a system in place! With regards to the luggage carts, as stated before we are not a luxury hotel that has a bell man to bring back luggage carts, it is the responsibility of the guests to ensure they are returned to the parking garbage for the next guest.
3) I have to say that we have never had anyone complain before regarding the ski valet, most guests are thankfull that there is someone to store and dry their skis/snowboards for the next time that they are used, a lot of the lodges in town do not have this amenity and I know from experience that it is very welcomed.
4) again we are not a luxury hotel and do not offer games rooms or stores, there are plenty of outstanding things to do in Whister and from guest feedback, sitting in a games room in a hotel is not one of them, also there are plenty of very helpful stores within walking distance.

Again thank you for your review and Whistler hopes to see you again some time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Although more expensive than other properties in whistler the Aspen's location made it worth while; a true ski in ski out. The staff was friendly. The room was clean and the after-ski facilities awesome (hot tub and ski valet). We would recommend this property and will return when back in whistler

• Stayed January 2013
RQWManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much, for taking the time to write this review, on behalf of ResortQuest Whistler and The Aspens, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, we love to hear positive review and i will ensure that this is passed to our hotel manager, staff and owner.

We hope you come back again and again:)

Warmest Regards
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed in Unit 433 (I think as I wish I marked it down) the unit faced the courtyard front entrance roundabout and it was excellent. A much better unit this time and no issues at any time. The renovated unit we stayed in was perfect and I would stay in this same unit again in a heartbeat. Very good value.

I wish there was more consistency when booking with ResortQuest and I hope to be able to request a specific unit on my next trip.

Way to recover from last time ResortQuest.

Room Tip: Always ask for a renovated room as ResortQuest room quality varies greatly.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, on behalf of ResortQuest Whistler and The Aspens, we are so happy that this time around your stay was excellent, we thank you so much for giving ResortQueat another try and were so happy we exceeded your expectations.
We hape that you come back again and again:)

Warmest Regards
esanderson@resortquestwhistler.com

Been to Aspens on Blackcomb? Share your experiences!