“Ok place, front desk staff kinda dumb..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aspens on Blackcomb

Save Saved
You added Aspens on Blackcomb to your Saves list
Aspens on Blackcomb
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4800 Spearhead Drive, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 53 hotels in Whistler
Field, Canada
“Ok place, front desk staff kinda dumb..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights to go biking. My van wouldnt fit in their underground parking with my Thule roof box, the front desk staff told me to take it off... Wow, for the $15 a night they charge for parking I'd hope someone would do that for me... Nope. The next option given was to park in the village and take a shuttle. That's some serious inconvinence... I ended up finding a parking spot 50 meters from the property on my own that was closer than the shuttle bus stop.

Overall good hotel, nice kitchen, king bed stuck together with two little beds wasn't very nice, nice hot tubs, just don't rely on the staff to help you out. Use your own brain, if you're reading this it works better than the night staffs...

• Stayed September 2012
RQWManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review!
i am truly sorry that you felt our staff were not as helpful as you would have liked them to be, i have passed this information on to our Hotel Manager of The Aspens on Blackcomb and will ensure that your concerns regarding the parking are looked in to, with regards to the bed, I have also passed this on to our maintenance department, as all of our units are privately owned, the owner of the unit does make the final decision as to a replacement bed.

On behalf of ResortQuest Whistler we do hope that you come back again and if you do decide to, do not hesitate to contact me directly

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The general features of this hotel were great (i.e. lobby, pool, small fitness room, general room with huge TV, underground parking garage.

The room itself was just okay. The carpets were terribly stained in the room we stayed in. The toilet barely worked. The kitchen was fine. The shower was good. The furniture was fine.

The location of the hotel from the lift for downhill mtn biking wasn't that far away but this was not that convenient to the village. This may be a little spoiled since it was probably only a 10 minute walk to the village. :)

The bike cage in the parking garage was overly crowded. We had to store our bikes in the Ski Summit Room for one night.

The "FOB" key is a great idea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
On behalf of ResortQuest Whistler we thank you for this review, with regards to your room concerns, I have passed them on to our maintenance department for review with the owner.
Thank you for choosing ResortQuest and Whistler.

We hope to see you back again soon

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The place is pretty tired, and with the exception of the ski rental (which was very accomodating) the staff can't be bothered to help. I also could not get online in my room, so be aware of that. They also treat the pool towels better than the guests, so be prepared to deal with the annoyance of dealing with the sippy desk staff to sign out a towel...when they can be bothered to look up from their mobile phones.

This resort has NO shuttle buses from the resort, so you are forced to use the "free bus system" provided. I had never been to Whistler before, but now I know that to enjoy your stay YOU MUST stay in the Village. The free buses provided only stop at designated UNHEATED stops and it can be brutally cold, especially at night if you miss a bus, be prepared to wait in the cold for 40 minutes or more! The taxi's are expensive, and it ad's up.

Don't be fooled by the ski in/out, unless you plan your day around Blackcombe, which WAS NOT my fav mountain on Whistler, it won't be helpful for you. Whistler is massive, so just save yourself a lot of aggravation and frostbite, and stay in the Village, then Im sure it would be an entirely different experience!

Personally I wasn't a fan of the nightlight in Whistler, it was pretty tired, and not lively at all, I'd take a week in Breckenridge any day, Brecks is the best!

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, when I read this I was a little saddened, on behalf of not only ResortQuest, but Whistler itself!

I have passed on your comments regarding our font desk staff to our hotel manager to deal with, I am truly sorry that you felt like that was your experience, we would never want our guests to feel that way.

With regards to your concerns regarding the lack of shuttle from The Aspens on Blackcomb, unfortunately as we are a lodge and not a hotel we do not and have never offered a shuttle, the majority of lodges in Whistler actually do not offer any kind of shuttle! whistler prides itself on being Eco friendly and having every hotel and lodge in Whistler offering a shuttle would negate that,
most people actually really quite enjoy the experience of taking the village shuttle, and after all it is free!

Although we appreciate that Blackcomb mountain was not your favorite mountain, we also understand that different people have different options, as with the nightlife!
We understand that whistler is not everyone's cup of tea, but we do hope that you find your Whistelr somewhere.

vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My problems with our stay were:
1: No A/C! Summer is hot in Whistler and not to have a/c made our room like an oven.
2: King size bed was 2 singles pushed together. Made for a nasty pit in the middle of the bed.
3: Check out 10am, check in 4pm. These are the worst times I have come across. Now with the 6 hours in between check out and check in you might think they could accomodate an early check in (which I requested when I made reservations). When I arrived at 1pm they had my request on file, but they did nothing to accomodate my family. Weak.

Staff was friendly but the cons far outweighed the pros in this case.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor and try to get rooms facing away from the pool and hot tub. Drunk kids like to com...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, ResortQuest Whistler truly apriciate all reviews, negative or positive.
I would however like to ensure that you did in fact stay with ResortQuest and not Intrawest as stated in your review, if you did stay with us and would like to discuss the issues that occurred during your stay, feel free to email me any time.

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had to wait a long time to check-in as there was only one person serving a line of about ten people.There needs to be more support at the front desk as guests were also trying to get pool towels and the phone also had to be answered while checking in the guests.

Our room had an open layout with good air flow during temperatures during high 20s temperatures. We like the warmer side of things so didn't feel we needed air-con. The room was tastefully decorated but the carpet was heavily stained and needs to be replaced/cleaned. The balcony was a good size and we enjoyed the evening sunsets. However our room overlooked the pool so there was a much noise for most of the day.The kitchen was stocked with basic kitchen supplies.

The elevator was very slow so we often took the stairs. You can walk/ski in & out easily from this hotel to the Upper Village.At the time of our stay, there were many big groups of kids who were running through the hallways.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RQWManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are truly sorry that you felt that our staff were not aquipped enough to handle the amount of people at time of check in, unfortunaly as it is summer, we loose alot of our seasonal staff and find it quite hard to re fill those positions, with limited people in town.
We are very happy that's you felt your room was Of a good standard, with regards to the carpet, I will ensure that the owner of that unit is contacted to discuss.
ResortQuest are sorry that you felt the hallways were over run by children, we do our best to minimize noise for our other guests, but Unfortunatly can not control other peoples children. As Whistler in the summer is very child orientated, we do get a lot of groups with children.

Again thank you for your review, And we hope to see you visit us again soon.

Emma Sanderson
Seattle, Wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Pros: One of the few real ski in/out sites in Whistler. Quieter location than properties right in the Village.

Cons: There was only ever one front desk person and she was so overworked. You have to line up at the desk for everything--first, when you arrive and need a card to get into the parking garage; to get a key to get into the pool, etc. Having to wait after a long trip at the front desk, while others check in or get problems resolved, just to get your car into the garage is a real hassle. They need better staffing up front.

The elevators are woefully in adequate for the size of the complex--it'll take forever to get one on the morning, when everyone's heading out to ski. It might be fine in the summer, when taking the stairs is an option, but it's not an option to walk down 4 flights of stairs in ski boots. And I wonder about their maintenance--a staff member told us she'd been stuck in the elevator for 4 hours on Christmas Day. If I were to stay here again, I would only consider a ground floor unit.

You pay for parking here. I almost never pay when I rent a condo in Whistler Village or Village North, but for some reason the Blackcomb properties usually charge.

Neutral: if you need groceries or want to walk to dinner, you'll either need to take the bus or walk up and down about 200 yards of ski slope. There's no real grocery at Blackcomb so you need to walk about 15 minutes to the one in Whistler (or bus). So this unit is best for people that load up on groceries and are planning on staying in at night, or who don't mind being further from stores and restaurants.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor unit so you can avoid the elevator situation.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
RQWManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for takaing the time to write this review, although after very carefull investigation I understand that you were not a ResortQuest Whistler guest, but a blackcombe peaks, on behalf of our staff we would like to apologize that you felt our front desk agents were quite busy, we are working hard to try and solve that problem.

On the separate note of a member of The Aspens team informing you of being stuck in the elevator,
It has come to my attention that that member of staff is not employed by ResortQuest Whistler but the strata company employed by the owners corporation. I have passed on your concerns to them and can only apologize to you.

We do hope that if there is a next time that you choose to come and visit Whistler, that you choose ResortQuest Whistler

Regards

Emma Sanderson
Guest Relations Manager
ResortQuest Whistler

Been to Aspens on Blackcomb? Share your experiences!